“Let the Luxury Life begin upon checking into this Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Auburn
“Let the Luxury Life begin upon checking into this Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I spend greater than 50% of my year in hotels, so the last place on earth I want to do during a break is to stay at more hotels. However, I took my daughter to stay on the Plaza at this hotel during her spring break and we had a great time. She loved the service we received and the concierge service and Craig is one of the best in the buisness. I have stayed here a lot in the past and he has always provided the best service. So much I upgraded my status to the Ambassador Level and it has some nice perks. I enjoy this hotel everytime but my daughter was in heaven.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the 5-star review and we're very happy to learn you enjoyed the special time with your daughter over spring break!

Your praise and comments will be shared with everyone, and special thanks will be extended to Craig.

Thanks for staying with us and we'll look forward to serving you again during your next trip to Kansas City.

Don Breckenridge
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

My husband and I came to Kansas City to celebrate my birthday. We couldn't decide which hotel to stay at, this one or the Raphael across the street. We thought it would be fun to spend a night at each and compare. My husband emailed the hotel earlier in the week to let them know it was my birthday. The manager was generous enough to upgrade our room to a plaza view and put a bottle of wine in the room which was a nice touch. I think for all hotels on the plaza, the plaza view is a bit over-rated unless it's during Christmas when the lights are up, or perhaps summer. We had a good view of the maintenence crew cleaning the pool with a power washer. Although valet was very courteous and speedy, it cost $18 for valet overnight. It's free across the street. When we first pulled up my first impression was that the grounds were really run down. We knew when we made a reservation they were in the process of renovations; much needed renovations. The entire hotel is "worn out". The room was large but the bathroom and the tv were both impossibly small. Whenever one of us barely moved in the bed, the mattress squeaked terribly. Our upgraded room was right by the elevator. None of these things were absolute deal breakers for us it's just that when you place this hotel right next to its neighbor, The Raphael wins hands down. A big positive about the Intercontinental the staff were all great. I hope with their renovations they will be more successful at competing with their neighbor.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Guest,

It was disapointing to learn we didn't "wow" you, but pleased to see you enjoyed the complimentary upgrade and bottle of wine in recognition of your birthday. We also appreciate your comments about the staff being great.

We do indeed charge for valet parking, as do most of the Plaza and Downtown hotels. Our fee is very competitive with these hotels.

The pool is under renovation in preparation for the opening on Memorial Day. This is just one of the many projects underway to provide a product which exceeds our guests expectations. As is the case with our other enhancements, it is being done in way that does not disturb or interrupt our guests. I apologize if this work detracted from the beautiful view of the Plaza.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

everone there is really nice, hotel aging, saw black mold above a room door while waking down hall, wallpaper peeling in my room nothing special. Hotel must have been confused and thought I was an ambassador so they gave access to club lounge and had fruit and water for me in the room. I'm stopping my loyalty to this brand as the customer service for priority club and ambassador program are really bad. When they screw up or take a complaint the india based service is trained to say sorry but there is nothing we can do and get you off the phone. What limited contact I have had with spg, marriott and hilton hhonors are much better, and they don't screw up as often and have a more consistant brand so it is unlikely youll ever need to call those brands. Unless priority club hotel is the only choice or way way cheaper I'm not staying with this brand any longer. This property is good but the parent company is bad.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor, We're happy to learn you found our staff to be nice. I apologize for the confusion about your room assignment, but certainly pleased it resulted in you receiving a free upgrade and welcome amenity.

I did not understand your comments about the lack of recognition for our Priority Club guests. If you would like to share some specifics with me, please do not hesitate to contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

shawnee mission kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Nice hotel perfect location. Had a few issues after returning to our room late, had to switch rooms in the middle of the night. New room that was given to use had hair all over in the bathroom.
Front desk was very helpful and made up for the inconvenience with room adjustment and breakfast.
Nice location, hotel is quiet, cleanliness not so great.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the cleanliness issues in your guestroom. We greatly appreciate you bringing this to our attention while you were here so we could make amends. I'm happy our staff resolved this to your satisfaction. It also allowed us to follow-up with the associate who cleaned your room and provide additional training.

Again, my apologies and we'll look forward to a second opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a couple of days. The person that checked us in did not seem very friendly. Other than that our stay was good. Close to the Plaza. Easy to drive to other destinations. Room was good sized with a sliding door that led out to a balcony. Since is was unseasonably warm when we were there, we opened the door and sat out on the balcony enjoying the sunset. Would have preferred a room that looked out on the Plaza, but figured booking it through Priceline, probably have to take what I get. The walls seemed a little thin in that I could hear the neighbors TV and visiting more than I thought I should. The rooms were starting to look a little dated. There were rust spots on the bathroom sink. Needs a good update. Did not try to restaurant or the lounge, but the lounge/lobby looked very comfortable. All-in-all, a good stay.

Dear Guest,

Glad to hear you had a good stay, but certainly do apologize for giving you the impression that we didn't seem friendly at check-in. Your feedback will be shared with our front desk team along with a reminder of the expectation our guests have of us. Hospitality starts with a warm smile and a sincere greeting. Anything less is a missed opportunity.

Thanks for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.