1,276 results
All reviewsconvention centermain towerpower and light districtthe concierge loungepower striplobby barwithin walking distancetop floorattending a conferenceguest servicesself parkcoffee makervalet parkingelevatorskywalkmetropolitanelite
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The rooms are large with a sofa, chair, working desk with a chair. The room was quiet and very clean. The staff were very friendly. The rooms were cleaned every day with a turn down service at night.

The only two issues were:
1. The air conditioning did work to a degree. However it could have been a lot cooler in the room. That being said it is a personal thing and it would be fine for someone else.

2. Our shower had hot water but it only dribbled out of the shower head. No water pressure at all. Our daughter stayed in another room and they had water pressure but no hot water.

TIP - We did not eat at the in house restaurant because it was priced way to high for us. There is a upscale grocery store within easy walking distance (4 blocks) that has a breakfast buffet, coffee station, and a bakery with pasteries. It has a very nice large eat in area after you purchase the food.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Had to travel to Kansas City, MO for SkillsUSA contest. The hotel was perfectly situated, just catty-corner to the event location. The front desk was courteous and quick to respond to my request to change my room over to feather-free and threw in some bottles of water at no charge. The gym was good, never too crowded to find a treadmill, and the pool looked like a nice rectangle for doing laps but, admittedly, I never had a chance to use it. The health club area was also constantly manned with a staff member. Room service was friendly and the food was good- also not a tremendous price difference from eating downstairs to eating in the room and the staff was quick to tell me that the tip was already included in the bill (with a smile no less)!! Also, security personnel were clearly present and seemed to do a good job of keeping the hotel fairly well devoid of trespassers. Criticism: internet service cost $10/day and, even though I don't usually eat candy, I really wanted a bit of after-dinner chocolate on one of the nights during my visit and there was none to be had in the entire hotel. No vending machines and no snacks for sale in the lobby either, i.e. no "market." However, there is a very upscale market store a few blocks away with deli food and baked goods, candy, groceries, etc. so plan ahead and get what you might need during the daylight hours. Overall, a very comfortable stay.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times for business and find it very average in every way. I usually find Marriotts nice and although this facility is not one of their best, it generally mets my needs.

Muhlebach Tower:
The place is very large and includes a large older portion (The Muhlenbach) that is attached to the main building by second floor covered skyway. If you are placed in the Muhlenbach tower you will find less to like. The bed and room appointments are nice, but the window in the room is small. The USA Today has never been delivered to my room in the Muhlenbach. There are very seldom copies in the Muhlenbach lobby (they are plentiful in the main hotel lobby). There is only occasionally a person at the Muhlenbach tower front desk. If you wish to speak to a live person you will have to trek over to the main hotel. If you park underground in the Marriott lot, you have a serpentine underground walk to the Muhlenbach.

Odds & Ends:
Parking is $13/day in the hotel lot. Not surprizing for a "downtown" or "convention" hotel
Internet is NOT free. It will set you back $10/day.
The exercise facility is good, but is often too crowded to use at convenient times
On the plus side the staff was nice and I am often able to check into my room well on the early side. I find the bed comfortable and the hotel is nicely near the Power & Light restaurant/entertainment area (I like the Ragland Road Irish Pub best).

Overall safe, clean, and average. But sometimes average is just fine. I think that is the case with the KC Marriott Downtown.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the Main hotel building
1  Thank Donnysaur
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I have stayed here for a week recently on business and overall it is OK although not one of the better Marriotts. The rooms are a bit dated and need to be redone, at least in the old, historic tower. The doors to the rooms are heavy and impossible to close quietly so every time someone comes in or leaves the noise is incredibly high. Not a relaxing hotel to sleep in due to the doors. Staff is very nice and helpful but does not make up for the interrupted sleep. Hilton a couple of blocks away will be my next stop when I come back for business.

1  Thank TravelNowSwUsa
Reviewed 15 June 2011

My teenaged daughter and I spent two nights here on a 'mother daughter getaway'. The front entrance of the hotel is under renovation; there is no place to pull up, load bags, etc. The hotel has a parking garage too; but some genius decided that while the front of the property was completely torn up that would be a good time to close off half of the parking garage at a time for re-painting of stripes and replacement of ceiling tiles. ARGH!
Saturday evening the garage was 'full' (half full actually since half was closed due to renovation) and I had to park across the street in a metropolitan garage. The Marriott has a reciprocal agreement with this garage that one can park there for the same fee as at the Marriott IF one goes into the hotel first to get a voucher, which one cannot do easily, as the front of the hotel is ripped up and there is no place to pull up and go inside.
The management of the hotel credited me one night of parking since I had to pay to park in the other garage, which I thought was fair. They were nice about it.
But in spite of the good location, directly across from the Convention Center, this is a place to be avoided until the renovations are completed. And the front desk gentleman told me that after the parking garage and front renovations are finished, the remodeling will continue on inside the hotel, beginning with the lobby.
My advice is stay somewhere else for the next 6 month, maybe a year and call first before booking to check on the status of the remodeling project! Rates are not discounted at this time either so it's not worth it to put up with the inconvenience.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family