“Overnight stay with grandchildren”

Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Jefferson City
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We took the train from KC to Jeff City with 3 grand-kids while the 2 oldest were on spring break. Although the hotel was conveniently located to the Capital building, train depot and Governor's mansion, I could not recommend it as a first choice. We were pleased that we were able to pay $10 for early check-in, however a call to the front desk to request additional towels and bedding for the sofa-bed were not completed. The gentleman that answered my call seemed extremely distracted and disorganized. When we opened the sofa-bed, it had bedding on it but we did not know if it was clean. Not the best sofa to begin with as one of the cushions had a huge rip at the seam. The pool was rather on the cold side and hot tub was on the hot side. The best part of our overnight stay was breakfast buffet and I'm sure that had to do with the fact that we were nearly the only ones having breakfast at the time.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Bobbie H
JeffCityGM, Front Office Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share the deficiencies in the service you experienced. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction. Although we cater to thousands of people a month, it is unacceptable for any of our guests’ expectations not be met. We do sincerely apologize for not taking ownership of your request and ensuring that it was completed.

We are currently in the midst of several projects to update our hotel. We are very excited about the updates even though they are time consuming.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to share your comments. They are greatly appreciated.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Like the other comments that I have read, this property has just simply run down not only in it's physical properties but also in staff. I have stayed at this hotel for many years and find that each time it slips a little more. I generally make another choice when I have business in Jeff City. Believe me there are many, many other better choices. But I stayed at this hotel 2 weeks ago because my event was planned there. The front desk check in at 8:30 pm on March 5th felt like checking into a Motel 6 or another low end property. The 2 staff member behind the desk were quite busy talking about a personal issue and I was clearly interrupting and was made to feel like I was bothering them. I was back at the desk a 2nd time later in the evening and got the same treatment. The smiling housekeepers and other staff are gone. The housekeeper that I ask a question of didn't understand English and hurried off. It was clean the cleaning standards have reduced considerably. I have long since given up on the restaurant. But this time I did try the breakfast buffet on Tuesday morning. How hard can that be? Apparently it is still a do it yourself affair ( find your own water, coffee, creamer, etc) and most guest waited in a long line at the cash register. This person was very overwhelmed. It seems like simple math to know how many events and guest that you have and consider that at least some of them would want to try the breakfast buffet. It shouldn't be a surprise. What's up with no internet except thru some strange company that seems to be in some foreign country? No USP ports in your room? Really?

Room Tip: If your conference or meeting is at this hotel, you would be better off driving in from one of the q...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank connieb123
JeffCityGM, Front Office Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Your review of our hotel has been very valuable. It was also very disappointing. Your stay was unacceptable from the beginning to the end. I have shared your experience with all the departments involved. We are very proud of the service we provide. On a daily basis we are focused on training and improving our guest’s experience. Our management staff as well as our associates took all your comments to heart. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. It is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have been staying at the Capitol Plaza when on business trips to Jefferson City for the last eight years. It is the best place in Jefferson City if you have any business at the Capitol Building. I will stay again. It is not a luxury hotel, but that is not why you would go there. On my most recent stay the room was clean and comfortable and as quiet as can be expected in a downtown area. The televisions have been updated recently to flat screens. Service is generally good. We did have issues with the workout room, it is little toward the stuffy side, too warm, not enough airflow, machines were in good condition though. The property is starting to show signs of neglect, and judging from management responses to other reviews, they are trying to update. The parking garage and connecting elevator need some serious paint and cleaning. The carpet in the main atrium is worn out. As I said earlier, I will be back and I expect these issues to be addressed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Arch_9
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Looking for a weekend of romance, my wife and I booked a room at the Capitol Plaza. Based on earlier reviews we'd heard the atrium had a waterfall from ceiling to floor, a nice breakfast, and, for a bit more money, a romance package. It seemed perfect, so we booked it.

Upon arrival, we were impressed with the ease of check-in and the parking. For the price, however, there was no bell service, so we spent a while lugging our luggage up to our room (perhaps that's why they call it luggage).

On first glance, the room seemed fine. According to our Romance Package, however, we were supposed to have a room with a special view... in our case, special means a Model 324D Rooftop Air Conditioning Unit. In addition, instead of finding a chilled bottle of champagne in the room, we had to call the front desk to order it. Once it arrived, however, we popped the cork and had a couple of glasses. The champagne was excellent. One of the best bottles I've had.

On our way to dinner, we decided to take a tour of the hotel. It was nice, but a few notches south of luxury. The middle atrium was open, but there was no waterfall, just a few empty chairs waiting for patrons to also discover a lack of activities and take a rest.

After dinner, there was really nothing to do, so we returned to our room... only to find it reeking of cigarette smoke. Because there were notices warning that smoking in one's room would earn a $200 plus cleaning fee, we called the desk to inform them that we weren't the ones smoking in the room.

The front desk sent a maintenance man to the room, but he couldn't discover the source of the smell. He offered to change the air conditioning filters, but told us that the floor we were on was once the smoker's floor, so we would probably smell the smoke as long as the air conditioner was on. Really?

By the next morning, my wife was sick and unable to breath through her nose after a night of breathing in the stale smoke smell.

And that's how our romantic weekend went.... up in smoke.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 2nd floor and ask for a floor that has never been a smoker's room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank etherius
JeffCityGM, Front Office Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Your comments are greatly appreciated both the negative and positive. I would like to extend our sincerest apologies to your wife. We are currently updating the waterfall and the project is almost complete. We do not have a bell staff but there is always someone more that willing to assist our guests. Your review has been shared with our management staff as well as our associates. There is always room for improvement. Again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our goal is always to achieve the highest level of service.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

This place is old and rundown and is an embarrassment. I hope people that come to see our state Capitol don't think the people of Missouri live like this.

Service stinks. The following things were broken: sauna, hot tub, waterfall, tv. The fitness room is a joke and there were loud groups here both nights I was here.

Avoid staying here.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Steffadoll
JeffCityGM, Front Office Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Thank you sharing your experience with us. We are currently udating the waterfalls and tv's.
Unfortunately there is no convenient time to schedule these projects without impacting our guests. We are excited about the updates and are looking forward to the completion of these projects. I am sorry that your past stay with us was so disappointing. I would like to invite you back to stay with us in the future. We would like to be your hotel of choice during your visits to Jefferson City.