“Very Simple, Good Price, Perfect if that's what...”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
out door extra kitchen for guests to hang out.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
PrestonSc...
Olympia, Washington
“Very Simple, Good Price, Perfect if that's what you're looking for.”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 for a stay in February 2014
people found this review helpful

My husband and I stayed for 6 weeks, in January and February. Overall, we were very pleased with the accomodations.

The cabins are just as advertised, the pictures are accurate. It's simple, rustic, and perfect for a traveller who doesn't need a lot of fuss. There's no housekeeping offered, unless you contract with someone yourself. There's a two-burner hotplate and half-size fridge in each cabin, as well as a microwave and coffeepot in the shared kitchen. The bed was reasonably comfortable, the place was clean when we arrived. There isn't an on-site manager, but Eric is the local manager who makes sure you have your keys and that the propane doesn't run out and such. He's friendly, is a native English speaker, fluent in Spanish, and has been living in town for 6 or 7 years so he has lots of connections and insider info about good places to visit.

We had a good wifi connection the whole time we were there. I work online and had not taken any time off for this trip, so I was very relieved that I was able to continue working full-time from the cabins. The connection was good enough for regular teleconferences and video conferences.

There were some glitches, mostly in dealing with Javed, the owner. He's a nice guy and well-intentioned, but a terrible manager. I recommend dealing with Eric whenever possible. However, Javed is the one who makes reservations and handles the money. I had to email several times to figure out how much it would cost for our stay, since he didn't respond at all to the first several. The prices listed on his website are inaccurate, and it was unclear what the current prices are. A friend stayed for about a week and was charged almost twice the daily rate that we were, and the price we were charged was still more than the price on the site. Fortunately, they are still the lowest prices in Sayulita, so just frustrating but not a deal-breaker.

When we did finally agree on a price and I sent PayPal payment, I didn't receive any confirmation after repeated emails and phone calls. I finally caught Javed on the phone just a few days before we were set to fly out, and he said, "Haha! Oh ya, I guess I should email you some information about where to go and stuff, huh?" Our friend never was able to reach him at all, and had to just rely on our word that we would be there first and make sure everything was worked out.

The other major caution is that I suggest that you ask if Javed will be in town during your stay. If he will, stay somewhere else. Not because he's not nice (he is), but because when he is in town he will be working on the cabins incessantly. He seemed unaware that major improvements to a vacation property should be done in the off-season. For a full week that we were there the shared kitchen was unavailable as they poured a new concrete floor. That's a problem for obvious reasons (a big part of what we paid for was access to a full kitchen), and for reasons that might be less obvious, like the several days of being woken up by workers using pickaxes to break up the previous concrete floor, the concrete slab being continuous with our cabin floor. There were also improvements being made to the roof of the cabin adjoining ours, which meant that workers were regularly peering in the roofline windows of our cabin for a couple days. (None of the windows have glass, just screens. And the roofs literally adjoin, so they were working inches from our windows.)

Javed also seemed to poorly grasp how to schedule the cabins so that there wouldn't be a need for someone to move halfway through their stay. We were fortunate to escape the shuffle, but several others who were there during our stay ended up shuffled around to make room for a new incoming guest. Including one switch that involved an older woman traveling by herself being required to sleep in a cabin with a new concrete floor that hadn't sealed completely yet. She said she ended up spending the night outside because the toxic fumes were giving her a headache.

None of these things were grounds for Javed to offer any kind of refund, or even an apology. I think he was genuinely oblivious to any inconvenience.

There are also some smaller things that seem odd. (As another guest put it, "Javed seems to have something against his guests being comfortable.") For instance, there is only one set of sheets per bed, and no laundry service. So that meant that we would have to coordinate carefully to get our laundry to the laundry service a block away (very friendly people) in time to be sure we could get it back the same day in order to avoid sleeping without sheets. There is one chair in the cabin, which is terribly uncomfortable. Inexplicably, all the switches to the lights and fan are outside the cabin, so when it's time for bed, you have to go out in to the courtyard to turn off the cabin light.

Fortunately, our stay was long enough that we were able to appreciate the charms of the place without Javed's presence. When the place isn't under renovations, it is quiet and charming. (Well, as quiet as a cabin in any Mexican town...there are still roosters, and neighbors who also don't have glass windows, and pickup trucks with megaphones advertising the fresh fish of the day.) The location is far enough out of the main plaza that you don't have to deal with drunk tourists and loud bar music into the night (which is a definite consideration if you stay near the plaza). The streets are dirt, and it feels like living in a more authentic Mexican location. All the neighbors are friendly locals who speak Spanish exclusively. It's an easy walk downtown for breakfast in the morning or to check the surf (a leisurely 10 or 15 minutes, no hills). There is a little tienda a couple blocks away, and plenty of better-stocked local grocers within easy walking distance.

Overall, I would recommend it, as long as you are pretty easy-going and don't need anything fancy.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location, simplicity, price
Liked least: Renovations, poor management
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
2 Mar 2014
at first i thought this was a bad review because i was caught up in this womans personal attack against me. however after standing back i realized that she had not really said anything bad about sayulita cabins just about me personally.
to be fair i do have to admit i'm a work-aholic.
let me tell you what i accomplished on my surf vacation in mexico this year.-
sayulita cabins musty bedding problem is solved - we've put ventilation in the storage shed and i bought a new gas dryer. (no more clothes line for drying the bedding). also we rebuilt the gutter along the back wall of lichee and platano cabins which were leaking. we found and fixed a roof leak into the 2 bedroom as well which caused floor damage and mildew.now it is fixed
there are now clotheslines in the private yards and the main courtyard line is available to guests.
there was a problem with the pressure tank to the reserve water supply system which is now fixed with a much larger pressure tank and it is working better than ever. there is 5250 liters of water reserves on the property which turns on automatically whenever the town water system goes out. this happens in sayulita often but guests at sayulita cabins would never know this because of our automatic back system.
also worth mentioning - you can flush the toilet paper at sayulita cabins due to the system i built for waste drainage which is built to higher than u.s. standards. there is never problems with the sewer system at sayulita cabins.
new floors in the shared out door kitchen and in the 2 bedroom cabin. remember the story about the so called "older woman" who was forced to sleep out side due to toxic fumes? this is what she told me by email just after moving in -
"Hi Javed,
Yes, we are in the 2 bdrm and all is well. They finished the work, put all the furniture and beds back together and even helped me move. Erik came by to check on everything Monday. My girlfriend likes it, so my worries are over. Thanks, Mary"
no mention of sleeping outside, no mention of toxic fumes.......i use a very low tox water based sealer that barely has fumes and drys in an hour.
also she forgot to mention that when the workers woke her up it was the middle of the afternoon. the workers don't work at night.

i installed $250usd worth of L.E.D. rope lights that come on automatically at night to light the pathway up the hill and gently light the upper courtyard and kitchen.
i changed all the light bulbs for "soft light compact florescent" so guest can use all the light they need without running up my electricity bills and causing excess green house emissions.
all the cabins are naturally well lit and ventilated so that you don't need lights inside in the day nor fan in the high season when most guest are there. (of course feel free to use the fans if you need)
all the roofs have 2 new coats of reflective roof coating keeping it cooler inside the cabins during the day. last year i put a ventilation skylight in the 2 bedroom which has reduced the high temperatures and improved ventilation. the year before i put a translucent wall with a latch able door between bathroom and shower. also this year we cemented in the stones in the patio out front of the 2 bedroom door.
i bought more dishes, silverware,pots, pans and 12 more plastic indoor/outdoor chairs and 2 out door tables for limon and platano this year.
i'm going to put bunk beds and a single bed in each studio next year.

all in all i would say the last of the major problems have been solved at sayulita cabins and now it is really a pretty together place.

that is the story of my surf vacation in sayulita this year... what about my vacation? we can get sooo self centered?

it is true though - eric is the good guy. i am the creator and maintainer.
some people seem to forget that my sacrifice is their gain... it is about the greater good?........ is it going to be me or sayulita cabins? so far the cabins have been coming first.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing