“Disappointed”

Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Description: The Mark Twain Dinette has been a Hannibal tradition and must-stop destination since 1942. We are known for our Maid-Rites, homemade frosty mugs of root beer, famous breaded onion rings, and tenderloins. There was a transfer of ownership as of April 1st, 2015.
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Took my 3 kids and Hubs to this place because 10yrs ago it was awesome. That is not the case now. The food was horrible the service was ok. The root beer was ok. We will not be back. So disappointed.

1  Thank Kami L

Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

Went here with a friend. The root beer was fine. Very sweet, but I guess that’s root beer , so it was nice enough for what it was.
The food though was very greasy and poor. I’d only give the food 1 star to be honest.
I had the brisket and it was so greasy that I didn’t eat much of it at all.
Thankfully I had lovely company with me that had suggested the place or I really would have complained. Very poor and if in that part of the world again I’d avoid at all costs.

2  Thank Juliet R
Reviewed 16 December 2017

The Mark Twain Dinette is a nice place to get a great lunch, right in the heart of downtown Hannibal. The service was great! My husband enjoyed an order of frog legs and homemade Root Beer! Our sandwiches were delicious as well as the sides! I loved the fact that after our lunch, we could go right back out and continue touring the town and quaint little shops!

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

Right across from out hotel helped the decision to eat here. The menu was your normal diner fare with some twists here and there. They have a “Battle of the Burgers” thing where I guess they pit two special Burgers against each other and keep the one that sells the most for the next week so the Grilled Cheesus Burger (1/3 lb burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickle between two grilled cheese sandwiches for buns) I got may not be available on another visit but it was VERY good and filling. I gave a quarter of it to my daughter and she too loved it. The onion rings were amazing as well. The real star was the homemade Root Beer that may be some of the best I have ever tried.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

We were traveling through Hannibal and stopped for lunch. I had the Reuben with a side of Cinnamon Apples and wife had the Pilgrim Turkey Burger with the same apple side.
Because the corn beef was shredded or chopped, there was not the problem of some Reuben sandwiches having some tough meat to chew. Mine was tender and tasty. My wife thought the turkey burger tended toward being dry and did not care for the dressing on the sandwich. Having partaken of Famous Dave's cinnamon apples, we were a bit disappointed in the cinnamon apples here. Nothing special. Service was friendly and satisfactory. There were evidently several travelers as the ladies rest room seemed buy with lines at times as if facility not designed to handle the traffic.

Been to Mark Twain Dinette? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK