“Fair”
Review of C.J. Muggs

C.J. Muggs
Ranked #20 of 70 Restaurants in Clayton
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I was staying at a nearby hotel for a conference and walked to C.J. Muggs for dinner. It was a Friday during Lent, so I wanted some seafood. I opted for their "specialty," beer sauteed shrimp and rice. It consisted of 5 or 6 small-medium shrimp with a spoonful of rice and a couple of pieces of melba-type toast, for $10.00. The price was reasonable (?), but not really for what I got. Also, the spices were not to my liking, although that, of course, is personal preference. At least the beer was cold. If I went back I'd definitely try something else.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for C.J. Muggs

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I thought the food was good. I went as part of a big group, so it is hard to judget the service, although they handled our big group (>30) very nicely. Some people didn't like the food, I thought my burger was great. Atmosphere is typical brass and glass American pub-style. I would go there again.

Reviewed 10 August 2010

We stopped and ate there after a Cardinals game around 11:00 one night because it was close to our hotel. Everyone thing was very good. Service was slow and I don't know why since there was only a few other tables in the whole place. The only thing that wasn't good was creme bulee. Never had it served cold. But would stop there again if ever in the area.

Reviewed 27 July 2009

We visited this resteraunt with high expectations, but were sorely disappointed. The service wasn't very friendly; the waitress replaced my husband's flat soda with another flat soda--but the worst was the bug.

My dish had a rather large beetle *cooked* into it. (believe me, it was fall-apart tender!)
When we brought this to the staff's attention, they replaced the dish, but a manager never came out to talk to us and there was no discount offered. I didn't enjoy the replacement, of course, because I was wondering about the cleanliness of the kitchen and lack of concern over this quite obvious blunder. I'm a veteran waitress from a much less expensive resteraunt, and even we would make sure the customers spoke to a manager and got some sort of retribution.

The food itself was tasty (of what I could eat) but there was very little for the price--a dish featuring shrimp as the main entree only included five med-small sized shrimp. My husband wasn't impressed with his dish either, and we both left hungry.

When talking to our taxi driver, he told us that he never would have recommended CJ Muggs because it was too "Applebeeish," meaning they don't excell at anything, they're just okay and quite overpriced. Never again!

Reviewed 20 November 2007

CJ Muggs is a quiet little pub like establishment with a couple of locations in prime St. Louis County neighborhoods. I love their cajun pasta. But I wouldn't say that they excell in anything they do. I don't think you'd ever have a bad meal there but you'd also never have an amazing one. Its a good place to take the kids and service is great.