“Childhood Memories”

Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Carthage
Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

I grew up in Carthage. The Courthouse was just always there so to speak. As a child I never appreciated the beauty and grandeur of it. But now, as an adult, I see how truly lovely it is. Almost like our own personal castle.

As a child, my siblings, cousins and I used to walk "the Square" as we called it. The Courthouse was obviously in the center of "the Square", and it loomed over us, calling us to explore! We would go in and ride the elevator, one of the truly old fashioned ones. Made of wrought iron and a real elevator operator! The elevator operator was truly amazing! Patient and kind with a bunch of kids who truly had no business there. It is truly a Courthouse where court is held and everything official in Jasper County is conducted.

I even remember going into the basement and looking around. How we managed that, I'm not quite sure, but I have great and fond memories of the Courthouse. Also, look for the Courthouse ghost. She appears at night at one of the balconies. Rumor is her lover was condemned to death in the Courthouse and she threw herself off the balcony. Fun stuff!

All reviews
"stone"
in 3 reviews
"narration"

Reviewed 9 November 2017

This is one of the nicest buildings I've seen, its like stepping back in time, in a lovely small city

Reviewed 21 October 2017

This building is beautiful. Nestled in a bustling town square with shopping and services in historic buildings the courthouse is a gem. Inside the old cage elevator as well as exhibits ranging from Route 66 to WWII to the Boy Scouts and Campfire Girls provide additional information about the area.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

Great architecture in this courthouse! Be sure and go inside. There is a wonderful mural by Lowell Davis as well as a working steel cage elevator,artifacts from the area and more.