“Inspiration Tower & Grounds Review Only”

Shepherd Of The Hills Outdoor Theatre
Ranked #52 of 151 Concerts & Shows in Branson
More attraction details
Owner description: This family-owned attraction features the famous outdoor theatre where guests are transported back to the late 1800's and into the lives of the pioneers who settled this rugged area of Southwest Missouri. Based on Harold Bell Wright's bestselling book the show is now in it's 56th season in Branson. The Shepherd of the Hills is a time tested favorite for all ages. During the day there are guided jeep-drawn tours of the historic homestead, Inspiration Tower, the Vigilante Extreme ZipRider (which launches from the TOP of Inspiration Tower!) And Round-Up on the Trail Chuckwagon Dinner Show. It's a whole day of family fun at historic proportions! In November and December Old Matt's Historic Homestead is transformed into a magical Christmas wonderland. The Trail of Lights is an animated, musical drive-thru of lights, sound and motion and is open 7 nights a week. There are millions of twinkling lights and animated displays that celebrate everything from the whimsical to beautiful displays celebrating the true meaning of Christmas. There's also Christmas on the Trail Chuckwagon Dinner Show in the Pavilion Theatre. Favorite holiday carols and a delicious cowboy dinner in a rustic, cozy setting...And your ticket includes a journey through The Trail of Lights after the show. Christmas on the homestead has become a favorite holiday tradition for families. Come enjoy the most wonderful time of the year with us!
Wilmington
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Inspiration Tower & Grounds Review Only”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I did not see the outdoor theater production, but went for the sole purpose of going to the top of the tower to take in the view. It was hazy that day, but the view was still nice. I was disappointed that it was an enclosed view an not open air. I enjoyed reading the story of the Shepard of the Hills while walking around the top of the tower. I also enjoyed the statues on the grounds, and the trek done the hill to Matt's Cabin. The old church that is on the grounds is pretty, and I found the entire experience very calming.

You can walk the grounds for free, but you a ride to the top of the tower costs extra, as does the Vigilante ZipRider - which only has one tower.

Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Springfield, MO
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“good entertainment, though pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

It's a good show for folks that have never seen it. If you have seen it a couple of times, it seems like a high price to pay...but most of the shows are too expensive. I have enjoyed it each time I've went.

Lakeview, AR
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very inspirational production”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Very good show, characters very believable. The live animals and the outdoor atmosphere are very enjoyable.

Colorado Springs, CO
276 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,015 helpful votes
“LOVED the Vigilante ZipRider !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

Inspiration Tower looks very tall when you get there. They have a zipline seat which takes you from the top of the tower then 1/2 mile over tree tops to the bottom. At speeds of 50 mph! We have done true zip lining in Texas and loved it but wanted something different that wouldn't take us hours to do. This was it!!!

However, it does look very scary from the ground looking up at the tall tower 170 ft tall. Two guys in our group got so scared - they wouldn't even go up in the tower (which has an observation deck you can pay to go up on even if you don't want the ziprider). I was pretty scared myself but my friend wanted to go but didn't want to go alone which meant I would have to go with her. I was debating what to do when a customer came down the elevator and got a refund because she was too scared to do the ziprider. I decided then that I would go ahead and go up because I knew I could get my money back if I got too scared.

We paid and went up the tower - great views at observation deck. At the top, you have to sign in and wait for your turn on the ziprider which can be quite a long time depending on how many people are head of you. We only waited 20 minutes. We got to watch people in front of us go and land and they all survived so I figured I would go ahead and go. I knew if I didn't I would regret it later!

Fortunately, when you go out on the deck – you can’t see a thing because of the walls/gates so you can’t look down and get scared. I really appreciated that! We were seated and strapped in – one worker per person. I was still worried so I asked the other worker to double check my straps that my worker did and neither worker got offended by my request and they both double checked each other’s work.

Then the gates opened and off we went. OH MY! How exhilarating! The cool breeze in your hair, the sights of autumn leaves on the trees below, so much FUN!! We LOVED it! We would have done it again (they offer a discount for a 2nd ride) but we had other places to go and could not stay longer.

I was worried the stopping part might hurt my back but they gave me tips on how to position myself for less impact and in fact, I didn’t even feel the stop at all!

My camera battery died on the way down but I was so thankful they have a professional photographer at the bottom taking your picture as you go down. They have a shuttle to drive us back to the tower and when we arrived; our pictures were already ready to view. It was not that expensive for the 2 photo special which we got. They took so many great pictures of us; it was hard to pick just 2.

We LOVED the ziprider! Even if you are scared of heights - go anyway. You read how scared I was and I had a blast! Go! Go! Go!

Visited October 2011
5 Thank nowincolorado
Dublin, Ohio
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Great Place to spend a relaxing day and learn the history of Branson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

We visited on our first visit to Branson in May, 2011. We started with the Chuckwagon Dinner Theater, visited the Inspiration Tower, took the guided tour of the historic homestead, and finished that visit with the Shepherd of the Hills Outdoor Drama.

It was all great. It was not until our trip home that we finally "got" the Shepherd of the Hills story. It is good, but it is a little complex.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Sons of the Pioneers Chuckwagon Dinner Show.

We visited Branson Thanksgiving week, 2011 and attended the Christmas on the Trail Dinner show and the Trail of Lights. The show was good. The Trail of Lights was incredible.

There is so much to experience here. It should be part of everyone's Branson experience. We will do it all again--many times.

Visited November 2011