“Great - except for problem with curtains that makes it difficult to sleep!”

Comfort Suites Olive Branch
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Olive Branch
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I would have given this hotel four or five stars. It is very clean, seems newish, furnishings are modern, the bed is fluffy and white, price is good and breakfast is well above average!

However, there is a major problem (or at least there was in the room I was in) with the curtains. I had been driving cross country and was exhausted when I got in at midnight, and when I went up to my room I saw that it faced a parking lot and a lot of businesses with neon signs, so there was a ton of light outside my room even at midnight. But the window was covered only with sheers that did not block out any of the light, and the thick hotel curtains seemed to only be for show, as they framed the windows and could not be pulled shut (the track didn't extend across the window, so it's not that these curtains were stuck, they were designed to not pull shut.) The light was so bright in my face that I could not sleep, despite being totally exhausted. So, I had to dig through my bag for a safety pin (thank goodness I had one) and pull the edge of the curtain across and pin it up to block out some of the light. Some light still came through, and it was not dark enough for me at all, but I was finally able to go to sleep after a few hours of tossing and turning.

Since the primary purpose of a hotel is to give a good night's sleep, I had to take off several stars (dots?) because of this major issue! It's too bad that such a nice hotel skimped on the curtains because it would otherwise be fantastic.

Oh -- one other thing. As I was heading to breakfast, I saw the man who had worked the front desk overnight speaking very harshly to a female employee in almost a macho manner. It was loud enough for any guest in the lobby to overhear, and I really did not appreciate it and felt bad for the woman, though she was responding very professionally (unlike him). Maybe this person needs some training in how to better interact with coworkers.

Room Tip: If possible, try to get a room that does not overlook the parking lot with the bright lights.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank KChicaAJ
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Olive Branch

Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed 1 night at this Comfort Suites in Olive Branch MS. This hotel is relatively new and has the best appointments of any Comfort Suites I have stayed in. This 4 story hotel with elevator has excellent service; very comfortable rooms; and somewhat secluded setting near restaurants and shopping. Even the coffee cups in the rooms were real ceramic, not styrofoam as most Comfort Suites use. Great bed and flat screen tv. Refridgerator and microwave standard in rooms. Good hot breakfast again with real silverware, coffee cups and glasses. Very quiet and near major interchange for easy access. This hotel is definitely a cut above the normal Comfort Suites standards. An excellent value in a hotel!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My wife and I have stayed here twice on weekend vacations to memphis both this year and last. The lady at the front desk is super friendly and always very helpful to guests. We've stayed on the top floor both times and it's very quiet. Rooms have been very clean, have great beds and decent sized flat screen tv's. There are many fast food chains around and some decent dining options also. If we ever go back to memphis we would def. stay here again! Best of all your 20min from graceland and less than 30min to the zoo which is great if you have children.

Room Tip: Top floor is nice and quiet
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jason K
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I have stayed here once before earlier this year. Staff is always helpful and nice. Newer hotel with nice accomodations. They have a reception with drink and snacks Mon-Thurs which is nice. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MrGreenthumb
Reviewed 29 December 2010

We stayed here Christmas night on our way to Destin, FL. We at first got lost trying to locate it but a call to the hotel and we got a very nice employee on the phone who was very patient with my husband and directed him to the hotel (he had printed out directions to the Super 8, go figure).
After arriving we were quickly checked in. We got to our spacious room on the first floor. We had gotten a room with 2 queen beds and a fold out couch. The queen beds were amazing. The fold out was.... just a fold out but we were just staying 1 night so whatever. The tv had a large choice of channels, the closet was very spacious with plenty of hangers and a safe in it. There were plenty of surfaces on which to put suitcases.
The breakfast the next morning was very good for a free breakfast. There was cereal, fruit, juice, milk, muffins, danish, eggs, bacon and waffles. We were the only ones in the breakfast area for much of the meal and there was a flat screen tv in the room.
The couple complaints I have are the cleaning. There was a pink mildew in the corners near the tub and my 3 year old son found what he called "money" somewhere in the room. These were 2, thankfully unused condoms. I think a little double check in drawers and under beds and a good bathroom scrubbing would solve all of this very quickly.
All in all if I was passing through this area again I would consider this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family