“Another enjoyable visit.”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Our second visit to the Gulfport Half Shell. Overall the experience was very good. Both food and service are still top shelf. Erin was our server ... a very pleasant young lady doing a great job. I had this months inexpensive special ... VooDoo shrimp tacos ... 4 tacos for $11. To be honest, I doubt they make any money on this special. It's a bargain and quite tasty. I worry about this location for Half Shell as it has been nearly empty on both of our visits where as other Half Shell locations are always on a wait ... ?? This location does have some nearby serious competition.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

May be tasty but cook/presentation lacking with other great choices in area. Oysters shriveled in their presentation and tuna sandwich was more bread than tuna w/ mediocre fixons. French fries overcooked. May want to check quality control before leaves the kitchen.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

You know those evenings when you are with your favorite people eating your favorite food? This was it!
I had been to the restaurant before and wanted my husband to try it. I had the Seafood Stuffed Portabellas again. There are so many things to choose, but liked them so much the first time, I selected them again. As sides, I chose Grilled Asparagus topped with Gorgonzola Butter and Cajun Boiled Parmesan & Garlic Fried New Potatoes. I must learn how to cook like this. My husband chose the Redfish Orleans with Fresh Steamed Broccoli and Sweet Potato Crème Brulee. My cousin chose the Crawfish Bisque which was the Soup of the Day. Her husband chose Cobia, which was the Fish of the Day.

My husband announced, "My wife has sampled every dish on this table!" My cousin and I laughed: we had purposefully chosen different dishes so we COULD sample each other's. The four of us agree: anything ordered would have been a winner. Everything was cooked to perfection and we enjoyed everything.

The service was wonderful - a waitress helpful, yet mindful of our conversation. We had not seen each other in a year. I find it particularly irritating when I am trying to get the latest gossip only to be interrupted by a waitress asking if I want a straw for my hot coffee or some other inane question.

Would I recommend Half Shell? Absolutely - without a doubt. The four people eating at our table that evening would raise their hands high when asked, "Would you come back?"

1  Thank Vonnie C
Reviewed 31 March 2018

While working in the Gulfport area we were looking for a broiled or grilled oyster bar to maybe offset the tons of fried shrimp and oysters that we had eaten in the preceding days.

On the advice of several locals, we tried the Half Shell Oyster House in downtown Gulfport and it was GOOD. We ate 2 dozen fresh shucked raw oysters and at least 3 dozen more in their house specialties.

We sat at the oyster bar and started with a "Sampler" and then branched out from there. I would highly suggest the sampler and then chose your meal from that.

We will absolutely be dining at the Half Shell if we pass this way again.

1  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stopped in for aeafood. She loves a good seafood gumbo and I opted for seafood portobella. We also had the Cajun crawfish Rangoon.
Atmosphere is great, has a brick wall interior, classic feel. Food was excellent. We like to sit at the bar and luckily they had the beer from MS that I love - Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan on tap.
I ate here a few years back. Still as good as ever!!! Worth a stop!!!