“An Overall Very Good Experience”

Palace Casino Resort
Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Biloxi
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Instead of going to Las Vegas this year, I went to Biloxi, mainly because I could drive there and avoid the hassles of the Atlanta airport. I spent a week at the Palace in May. This casino/resort has many excellent features: it is totally smoke free--yes you read that correctly; all the people I encountered were helpful and friendly; it had a $3.00 blackjack game going 24/7 with rules very favorable to the player; it also had $3.00 craps and roulette games Sunday through Thursday. My room was large, clean, and comfortable with a pleasant view of the marina, the bay, and the bridge going over the bay. The pool was large and the water temperature was perfect.

I did encounter some minor annoyances. These include the following: the water temperature in the outdoor hot tub was tepid; no shower cap in the room and none available from housekeeping; the elevators did not always activate when I inserted my room key in the appropriate slot.

The Palace's biggest shortcoming is the quality of its restaurants. I had at least one meal at Mignons steakhouse, the buffet, Stacks Grill, and the Cafe and Bakery. The food and service at Mignons was excellent and worth the money. The buffet strives mightily and too often fails to achieve mediocrity; the food is largely tasteless, it is mostly fried, and there are too few green vegetables. I would certainly be willing to pay more for better quality food on the buffet. The food at the Grill tasted better than the buffet, but it too is mostly fried. The Cafe and Bakery serves pre-packaged salads and sandwiches.

On a one to ten scale, the Palace rates an 8.5. I'll be back to gamble and relax at the pool, but unless the quality of the food improves, I'll eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: A room with a view is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank lowstakesgambler
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

My husband and I went to Biloxi with out daughter for a 2 night stay. However, we decided we'd had enough after one night. Nothing was horrible, but NOTHING was outstanding or top notch except the waitress in the buffet. She was our best experience there!

Your $100 deposit will not be refunded to you for 30 days, according to the lady who checked us in. That's a bit extreme. I got my tax refund sooner than that! The staff is not very helpful or friendly- some of them were though, to be fair. We were told "I don't know" for example, rather than, "I will find out for you." The bell hop told us only about a quarter of the things we would have liked to have been made aware of. I mean basic stuff! They need to sharpen their guest services skills. The elevators are slow. The fact that you need a card to get anywhere on an elevator is ridiculous. The pool is not that great. Good luck with the salt water treatment and haze in the water. Yuck! The room had a broken closet door, a broken stopper in the tub, a great view of the roof and air condition units, no fridge, and a dinosaur of a TV. Guest services took a long time to answer the phone- both times we called. The buffet was okay, but nothing to write home about. It took a long time to seat a line of 4 couples. The bathroom in the room was tiny. The pool took all but a secret password and handshake to get to. It couldn't be less accessible if they tried!

Overall- thumbs down. We saved a few bucks staying here, but will pay the extra few bucks and stay somewhere quality next time.

Oh, and by the way, Keith Crosby, General Manager, please don't insult my review by adding one of those redundant and insincere apologies left for all of these other negative reviews. I'd just rather you correct some of the problems. Thanks.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Too good to be true, but it is! We stopped on our way home from vacation so that we could watch a soccer championship game. Being in a smoke-free environment was fantastic! The employees were courteous and professional. We'll keep it on our "favorite" casino list for sure!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Shelley M
keithcrosby, General Manager at Palace Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Thanks for visiting the Palace Casino Resort and enjoying our smoke free property. Hope your team won the game!

Reviewed 14 July 2012

I've been staying at the Palace for many years but never wrote a review. Overall my wife and I are very pleased with the hotel and casino. All employees we encountered are very friendly and the room is overall satisfactory. The smoke free enviroment is a big plus for us.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MKC18
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Thanks for the kind words and your business over the years. We are about to begin making the selections for our upcoming hotel room renovations. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

The only reason I did not give them a top rating is because I requested a room overlooking the bay, similar to the one on their website but with two queens and was assured I'd be on that side of the hotel, WHAT I GOT was a room overlooking a roof and eventually out on the horizon the gulf. I spoke to the front desk on arrival but could not be accommodated. It was my Mother's birthday so I was disappointed. The smoke free casino was awesome though and the buffet was very good.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Elisa J
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Thanks for the comments and I'm sorry about our failure to honor your bay side room request. That will be addressed with the hotel manager. We hope you will visit again.