“Great potential...disappointing food and service”
Review of Dock Cafe

Dock Cafe
Ranked #7 of 100 Restaurants in Stillwater
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 40
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2017

This could be an awesome place to eat. The location and view are outstanding. You can either drive there or bring your boat in from the St. Croix river and dock at one of their public slips. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Here the reality. We were told slips would be available, upon arrival for my birthday dinner...no slips. They don't take reservations on weekends (why?) so you are taking your chances. In our case about a 45 minute wait which is about what they said. Service? Our server was good and fairly attentive, but there are systemic issues with how this restaurant is run that makes it problematic. We ordered drinks and appetizers during our wait. Even though they had not come out yet, we were told that we needed to close out the bill with the erver in the waiting area, but then our appetizers and drinks were served by our new server. Three of us were thrilled to find out they had a great sounding Prime Rib special and we ordered it. After about a 10 minute interval our server came back out and said, oops sorry we just ran out of Prime Rib. Why wasn't she told they might be running low? When she came back out she didn't bring menus back out so we had to order from memory. The food? Pretty bad. I had the strip steak / medium rare...it came out flavorless and overcooked. What a shame...this could be a great restaurant if they would hire really good people who know how to run a restaurant.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Dock Cafe

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Great modern ambience with good food and drink. Try to get a table on the riverside deck weather permitting. The riverboats dock next door and watching the set out and return is a fun extra!

Reviewed 6 August 2017

My family and I wanted to try the Dock Cafe to celebrate my daughter's birthday. I went outside to request a table for four on the deck. My husband, daughter, and her boyfriend were meeting me there. The hostess would not seat me until my family arrived...The hostess said that they don't seat people until the whole party is present. This was a first! I have never been to a restaurant where they don't seat you if a table is available for the number in your party if they are there or not! I explained that my family was on their way but no...she would not seat me... Needless to say, I was not happy and very disappointed. We went to a different restaurant and the Dock Cafe lost our business. Will never go here again...

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We got there just before 5 in order to get a nice table and not be rushed- it was the perfect Time to get there on a Friday night.
A couple people had walleye which they enjoyed.
Wild rice soup is quite tasty and the Caesar salad was good as well.
I tried the shrimp and scallops with linguine and enjoyed the flavors of the dish.
There is usually a waiting list for the outdoor patio so be prepared to wait they do not take reservations out there. The view of the st. Croix is fabulous and watching the boats float by is a treat.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

While travelling with family, we stopped here because my mom really wanted the view from the outdoor seating. Everyone leaving the restaurant said the food was quite good, and they turned out to be right. We ordered a variety of sandwiches and salads, and they were all good. Everything expect for the salmon risotto was a good size. The risotto was actually very small, and more expensive than anything else. My husband would definitely have been hungry afterward if he hadn't finished my son's sandwich too. All of the fruit and greens were very fresh as well. Things were a touch on the expensive side, but you pay for the view I guess.

1  Thank Brittn6