“Wonderful food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 91 Restaurants in Stillwater
Price range: US$ 21 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
minnesota
“Wonderful food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We had the 3 course tasting menu which included wine with each course. We added an appetizer and the chef added a cava paring at no extra charge. The food was exceptional, apple fennel salad, risotto and beef tenderloin with a demi glaze which was perfectly done. Each course accompanied with excellent wine in generous pours. The hostess decided to buy us dessert, a lovely vanilla panna cotta with raspberry couli. What a nice surprise! That attention from the chef and hostess was wonderful and unexpected. The downside was the ambiance, very crowded and extremely noisy to the point conversation was impossible. Tables close together so that you could not shut out the shouted conversation of the guests next to you. Also it became rather too warm for comfort. If this problem were solved I think Domacin is probably the most upscale restaurant in Stillwater. We would return on a less busy night because the food was so wonderful.

Visited April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

hutchinson,mn
“great food and wine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

the selection of wines and food variety was excellent.
nice atmosphere.
good service
excellent food

Visited April 2012
Stillwater, Minnesota
“Lovely place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Alex is so nice and welcoming. Delicous food and wine and the portions and price are great!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Margo04
Wisconsin
“Still hopeful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

The first time I went to Domacin I was blown away. The steak tartare was excellent and the pork belly was melt-in-your-mouth bacon-y, pork chop-y goodness. I had a few good visits after that-great soups, green apple and carmelized onion crostinis, tres leche cake...so I was disappointed when my last two visits were not so consistent food-wise. One of them I had a pasta, which was mostly good, but it came with a poached egg on top that was cold. Not lukewarm-cold. I know you can make poached eggs ahead of time and then warm them in water-but I would be surprised if the intention was for it to be served cold. It was not appetizing. Then the last time I went it had been awhile because I moved away and it was a special treat over the holidays. I was thrilled that pork belly was back on the winter menu. But it did not live up to my previous experience-not even a little. This time my pork belly was a sad, dried out hunk of pork. It almost had that "reheated in the microwave" thing going on. The sides weren't that good either. I was so disappointed.

The service has always been excellent and my overall experiences were good, so I will still give it four stars with hopes that the consistency of the food will improve and it will earn the fifth star back that I would have given it after my first few visits. Previously I enthusiastically recommended Domacin to friends and family-now I will do so with less confidence, if at all. I wouldn't feel comfortable having someone be disappointed as I was since it is a bit more on the expensive side.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kkb19
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great wine and nice owner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I came in for business and is really close to Lowell inn. Everything was outstanding.

• Visited January 2012