“Friday night burgers + pickles + beer = <3”
Review of Saint Dinette

Saint Dinette
Ranked #31 of 908 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 30
Description: We invite you to settle into our idea of North American hospitality and discover a three-nation, waterborne joie de vivre. Our mission will always be to honor the moment through your moments with us. As your hosts, we are set to guide you through flavors found from the mouth of the St. Lawrence River, through the Great Lakes, down the Mississippi, and to the jungle coast south of the border. The French exploration of our abundant continent has led us on a discovery of deliciousness in Montreal, New Orleans, the Gulf Coast of Mexico, and everything in between. We wish to share with you how Saint Dinette was born of our shared love for the art of life and the pursuit of flavor.
Reviewed 1 August 2017

We loved a Friday night casual dinner at Saint Dinette--our waitress was lovely and helpfully recommended a great beer to go with our meal. The fries were not hot, which was a bummer, but to be fair I didn't send them back and they were still pretty good. I loved the melty, gooey, crispy burger--just the right size for a treat meal. The vibe at St. Dinette is fun. Part diner, part fine dining, and lots of great energy.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 July 2017

I got there early, just as the doors opened at 5. I was pleased to see that they went to great lengths to ensure that they are handicapped accessible. They made sure I found the door, held the door, helped me with the mini-elevator and found a discrete spot to park my scooter, all the while treating me with great respect.
I had the steak and the drop biscuit with maple butter. It came quickly and hot. The steak was slightly under done for my taste, but they quickly righted that. The service was perfect, my server explained the words on the menu (French?) that I didn't understand The decor is both lovely and rustic. And the price wasn't as high as I might have thought.

Reviewed 2 July 2017

I was visiting St. Paul and contacted a former student and asked if she wanted to meet for dinner somewhere in the downtown area. She suggested Saint Dinette, which was an easy walk and very near the new ballpark. It wasn't the easiest place to find, as it's inside a building without its own major signage--just a name on a set-back series of doors--but inside was a layout that merged the diner and bar. It felt like a place to meet and talk, a trendy space that offered a menu as short as a bar with plated food that offered an upscale take on barfood. Sure, you could get a burger with American cheese on it and pickles, and you could get a steak plated with rajas, huitalacoche, epazote, and bologna with American cheese and pickles and tacos. But there were things you don't often see as well: trout plated with buerre blanc, herbs, roe; smoked oysters plated with hot sauce and saltines; "tartare" (raw sirloin) plated with potato bread, smoked tallow, and egg; beer battered soft shell crab plated with tomalley bearnaise; shishito peppers plated with caesar, breadcrumb, parmesan, bonito; octopus plated with barbecue sauce, macaroni salad, pimento, peas; dumplings plated with sweet peas, buttermilk, and truffle; shrimp and grits plated with andouille, corn, mustard greens; capellini (old bay, blue crab, sea beans, parmesan) and fried quail (plated with pickled ramp ranch and a half lemon with a tiny hairnet so you can squeeze without the seeds). I went with the quail, and it was breaded, fried perfection: crispy outside, moist and tender inside. My former student had a drop biscuit side (her favorite) but I was drawn to the potato latkes served with creme fraiche and apple butter sauces. When I said it was an unusual side, she said the owner or chef (I forget which, or if it's one and the same) is Jewish and she took a class there on how to make latkes. You could get also get fries for a side, or collard greens. Desert was just as upscale: sorbet (single scoop, seasonal selection); ice cream sundae (foie gras, strawberry), tres leches (coconut, rum, lime); and beignets (rhubarb, powdered sugar). Everything we had was very good, and she said it's one of her favorite places in Saint Paul.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

Atmosphere and view are great. Service was friendly and great too. Food? Just kinda ehhh. Some good, some okay, and some terrible. Oysters are literally served in a can that you peel back the lid on. Yes, the kind you find in a grocery store. Even saw some at the corner SA this morning I think. Hot sauce served with it might as well have been water. Couldn't even taste it. The dumplings and biscuit were really good. Capellini was good. Shrimp and grits... okay I guess. What was actually really terrible about that dish; do you know the strings that come inside of a husk on corn? Well someone thought it was a brilliant idea, or a huge joke, to burn those and put them on food and call it a delicacy. Literally looked, tasted and felt like you were eating pubes. No lie. The last dish I'll gripe about was the tar-tar and could have been mistaken for cat food. Someone in our group said the steak was pretty good. I heard this was supposed to be like the best new restaurant in St. Paul. I don't think I could in good faith recommend the food. The place itself was fun though.

1  Thank W9866YAnicolec
Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

This is a fun spot. We were there for brunch on a Sunday morning. We had smothered grits (lamb, a mildly spicy sauce, cheese and a sunny egg) and the crepe( Canadian bacon, gruyere cheese, a bechamel sauce, and a sunny egg). We also tried the bignet. Everything was very good. The service was attentive. They don't take reservations, but this Sunday at 11, we didn't need them. Good location in lo town, near the farmer's market and CHS field. If you're looking for the "two eggs, hash, and a meat" breakfast this isn't the place for you. If you're looking for something a little nicer, we'd recommend it.