“Good vegetarian option too”

La Costa Mexican Sports Bar & Grill
Ranked #274 of 937 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Description: Welcome to La Costa, a hip and energetic Mexican Sports Restaurant and Bar geared towards the sports enthusiast that is tired of traditional sports themed restaurant cuisine. Our menu has been interpreted as classic Mexican Cuisine with a unique combination of Chihuahua and Jalisco. Chihuahua is a state located in Northern Mexico and Jalisco is a state located on the coast of the Pacific Ocean. Combine those two and you have the La Costa palate. Our restaurant has the most advanced audio visual system available with HD perfect for viewing all of your favorite sporting events. We have a variety of on premise and off premise food and beverage options for you to choose from. However, if one of our options does not suit what you are looking for we would be pleased to customize a package to your specifications. Please do not hesitate to ask. We are looking forward to exceeding your expectations!
Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

Descent place if u really want Mexican food in St Paul...

Their black beans are vegetarian- no lard or chicken broth.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

This is a new Mexican restaurant close to downtown and I highly recommend! The food is fresh and the portions generous. We had the fresh huge guacamole appetizer. It was perfect with the fresh homemade chips. I had a shrimp entree and I can't wait to get back at try all the food! Welcome to the neighborhood!

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

The open door open air is really nice. The staff is fabulously attentive.
The fajitas and carnitas were great with a choice of corn or flour tortillas.
The chips are amazing! Really full of flavor with or without the delicious green or hot red salsa.
However greatness ends there-
The flautas are not good and the chicken bowl is awful. Homemade guacamole was without flavor.
We overall were very disappointed the bulk of the items we ordered lacked any flavor. The pick de gallo served with the delicious chicken and shrimp fajitas consisted of 3 tomato pieces on lettuce- bad.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

When I find a new restaurant that has great service, good atmosphere,reasonable prices, and doesn't make me wait in line for more than 15 minutes---I try to keep it to myself for a while and enjoy.
This place is so good, people will flock to it with or without my review.
Calling it a sports bar is misleading. It is open, with glass "garage doors" on one wall with the street view of Cesar Chavez Street. It is a laid back atmosphere to enjoy my part of Saint Paul and watch the various Mexican American activities found here.
The food is delicious. The guacamole and chips is a meal in itself, with the waiter preparing it tableside for an extra flair. The carnitas were plentiful, and the refried beans had pleasant consistency. The green sauce and the red sauce I had with the carnitas and the LaCosta tacos had a surprising heat and flavor.The blood orange margarita had my wife in heaven.
Look at their website--and try it before all the "beautiful people" swarm to it and make the wait line go around the block !!

Reviewed 1 July 2017

Drive by and thought I'd give this a try. Two small Mexican burritos were $4.50. Very good enchilata was $2.75. WOW! More expensive things also available but I loved the lunch prices.

Very reasonable for lunch - compares favorably with fast food.

Nice bar and very friendly wait staff. Strongly recommended.