“Okay Greek food”

Opa Opa
Ranked #76 of 308 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed 12 March 2018

I was very surprised by this restaurant. I went over there thinking it would be a tablecloth-and-napkins place, but it had more of a diner feel to it. I had the saganaki (flaming cheese appetizer), the moussaka, the avgolemono soup, and a piece of baklava.
Saganaki - undercooked before it was brought out on a heated plate and flamed tableside. My first 3 bites were of only partially melted cheese that was cool/cold in the middle. The taste was good, though, and by the time I got to the last bite, the heated plate had transferred enough heat that the cheese was warm through.

Avgolemono soup - very nice texture and good taste. Good quantity of chicken vs rice, which is unusual, as restaurants will try to cut corners in this area. It could have used a little more lemon, but the flavor overall was good.

Moussaka - clearly re-warmed. The flavor was very good in the meat. There was far less eggplant than I expected - maybe one slice cut up into cubes (not the right way to make this) for a 2x2" piece. Heavy on the potato, but it was well-spiced. The bechamel on top was a weird orange color, and this was my indication that it had been rewarmed or perhaps kept too long in the warming oven - instead of being creamy and like a custard, it was firm like an overcooked quiche. Still, the saving grace was that the flavor was good.

Baklava - I took this to go. While it wasn't the worst baklava I've ever had, I can get better at my local American grocery store. Not enough butter between the phyllo leaves. The nuts were packed into some kind of light brown almost-chocolate paste that really had no discernable flavor. The honey sauce was poured over the baklava as they were packing it up, so of course there wasn't enough, the pastry didn't have time to soak it up, and it got everywhere during travel. Disappointing.

Perhaps I've been spoiled by eating Greek food other places. Perhaps it is that I was expecting a nicer restaurant. Perhaps it's that I read other TripAdvisor reviews on this place and expected too much. Overall, it was fine, and the quantity was enough that I got two meals out of it. I don't live in Rochester, so I don't know if there are other Greek restaurants. If not, this one is perfectly fine if you don't expect haute cuisine.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Great Gyros and service! Arrived at 1240pm not really busy..fast service with a smile. Try the FRIES! My wife asked the ME. Server if he Was GREEK..LOL he smiled and said NO! GREAT Gyros and Tanziki sauce!

Reviewed 9 June 2017

This place...oh my gosh. AMAZING food. It's fresh, so it's not like your getting old chips or anything like that while you wait. I actually live right by this place but just never made it in there. But the other day I finally did and I legitimately regret that I didn't eat here sooner. I just went with the simple gyro, and it was so good. You get to add the tzatziki sauce yourself, which I really appreciated. The chips/fries they serve with the food are so stinking good. I actually went there again the other day just for those. (which I am slightly ashamed of, since the gyros are just as good).

The cost is pretty comparable with a regular fast food restaurant, but the food is FRESH! For two people, it was under $20, which I thought was great.

Staff is nice and always friendly. I would highly recommend this place. The food is so good; easily one of the best places I have ever eaten.

1  Thank Kayla H
Reviewed 1 June 2017

We go there every time we visit Rochester. The Gyros are wonderful,lots of meat and flavor. Their lentil soup is also very good. I love their spinach rice, and greek salad. The chips and tanziki sauce are a nice touch too.

1  Thank Sallie S
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

Unusual looking at drive by but great once you get in. Rectangular tables a bit small but friendly staff and great food. One star short of perfect due to new waitress who didn't sparkle.