All reviewsmary's hospitalunderground parkingpancake machineshared parking lotstayed at the holiday innmayo clinicwithin walking distancequiet at nighta great stayfree breakfastbiscuits and gravyother hotels in the areaone night staycomfortable bedfree shuttlefitness roomup to date
Reviewed 4 August 2016

I arrived at this hotel at 3:00pm and was very dissatisfied with this room due to the road noise. The staff is well aware of the problems with road noise and all 3 that I talked to had the same answer, "well, you have to expect noise when we are on the highway." I have slept comfortably in hotels right next to airports and haven't heard a sound, so this type of noise in my opinion could have been avoided during the building process. Loud traffic can be heard all night, having a conversation in the room, one has to speak over the road noise. I had to buy ear plugs just to have a hope to sleep. I was able to get a room for the rest of our stay on the parking lot side, but only based on someone else leaving, I would have had to move to another hotel if they had not had a room other than the one I was in. The second room we were in was not up to the Holiday Inn Express standard I am used to, the walls were filthy and in need of a new paint job, an easy fix and the room was quiet. When I complained immediately about the road noise, I was told there were no other rooms, it was too late to cancel the room, so I was stuck. Never again. Is there any recompense for the trouble of getting a room that is this unreasonably loud? For $130.00 per night I was told "we do not take any amount off the room price," when they know they are selling these roadside rooms. If they had been upfront when selling the room that would be different, but that fact is avoided until you are unfortunate enough to have the room. Another thing to consider with this hotel is the parking lot, if you have a wheelchair you will be pushing the wheelchair uphill to get to the entrance.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank bernbabe
Melany L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Dear Bernbabe,

I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a great experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the traffic noise. We do offer ear plugs at the front desk for our guest that are light sleepers. We have a couple of wheel chair accesible spots right next to the entrance and if those are taken we also offer free under ground parking. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

I made a reservation two months before my stay and specifically asked for a room on the parking lot side, having stayed here before. I then emailed 1-2 weeks ahead to reiterate the request because I was concerned about the noise. Both employees confirmed my preference in the notes for my stay.

Upon arrival, I was given a room on the interstate side - the opposite of what I requested. I asked about it and the employee said it was an oversight but there was no way to change the room. The highway is INCREDIBLY loud. I will not stay here again - very disappointed in how this was handled.

Stayed: July 2016
2  Thank hsper
Melany L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2016

Dear hsper,

I apologize for the inconvenience you felt during your stay. Unfortunately because half of our rooms are over looking the highway we cannot promise rooms on the parking lot side. We do our best to accommodate request but it is all based on availability. We do offer a white noise machine or ear plugs at the front desk. If your travels ever bring you to Rochester we hope you give us another chance.

Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

They screwed up reservations then lost them. Good thing we called on way. Half of rooms are right next to major interstate. Very noisy. Very bad decision to build here. Make sure to get room on east side. Also not very helpful about giving us an extra 20 minutes to check out as we had major delay at Mayo appointment. We will not stay there if we need to go back to Mayo.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lasershow
Melany L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2016

Dear Lasershow,

I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a great experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the traffic noise. Your comments have helped us to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for a Mayo visit and was able to walk to the Gonda Building and St. Mary campus. The place was clean, comfortable and in a convenient location. Staff was very accommodating. Only complaint was we were in an end room nearest the freeway and the traffic noise was a little loud. Would definitely say again though.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Andy H

Dear Andy H,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found our facilities to your liking. We look forward to serving your travel needs at our property should you return to the area.

Reviewed 4 July 2016

Within walking distance of St. Mary's hospital plus a regular shuttle to downtown Mayo clinic. Great breakfast, clean room and friendly staff. Our only complaint was the refrigerator in our room was very noisy.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the highway.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Melany L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2016

Dear Jimm8117,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to the loud refrigerator in your room. I've worked with our maintenance team to fix the issue, however I apologize that it wasn't resolved sooner. Thank you again for your review and I invite you to stay with us again the next time you return to the area.