“A Not So Silver Lake”
Review of Silver Lake

Silver Lake
Ranked #9 of 47 things to do in Rochester
Reviewed 3 August 2017

We were looking for a small respite to go to during down time from all of our appointments at Mayo Clinic. We chose Silver Lake because we enjoy the outdoors and it was nearby. This place was horrible! The restrooms are disgusting, and there are no doors on the bathroom stalls! The sidewalks are literally covered in goose feces. You will not be able to avoid stepping in it as it covers the sidewalk.

With hesitation, we continued down the paved trail and walked to the top of the bridge.
This lake has been described as a clear freshwater lake. Nothing could be further from the truth! As I looked down in the water it was brown and I was shocked to see RAW SEWAGE floating in the lake! It was everywhere! Unfortunately from a distance children were swimming in this filth and several people were out paddle boating. I could not believe it.

The lake is very neglected. The wild flowers and weeds are very overgrown. There is trash everywhere and frankly it is a bit of a scary place. I went around 3:00 in the afternoon and saw some pretty shady characters.

It is unfortunate that this lake is this way. Rochester draws hundreds of thousands of visitors annually through Mayo Clinic and for people who enjoyed the outdoors like my family, it would be nice to have a little park nearby to reflect and spend time together. We certainly invest in the community while there through hotel stays, restaurants and the clinic. You can do better Rochester!

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"playground"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 23 July 2017

Though not in the top-tier of locales to visit in Rochester, this venue is peaceful and you may like to look at the geese.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

We like to walk around Silver Lake about once a week when we are home visiting in Rochester, Mn. One lap is a little over a mile. A nice path with wild flowers around the lake . Of course, there are always lots of Canadian Geese to view.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

It was a great 4th of July day to take out an electric paddle boat on Silver Lake. We peddled and sometimes just let the electric motor move us along. The lake is nice and the views are great. Definitely would do it again!

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 June 2017

Although it's been 40 years, my childhood memory of the place was a long drive from Saint Paul with my sister, myself, mom and dad going there with a couple loaves of bread and feeding a crazy populated lake/shore of ducks and recall lots of people there doing the same.
Couple weeks ago I decided to take my 3 daughters there with hopes it might be a similar little Sunday outing that they could enjoy plus neat for me to revisit as well.
As we pulled into the tiny parking lot and got out of the car, a guy parked next to me says hey, how much? I said excuse me, he's says how much for your car? I said it's not for sale..bizarre to say the least. The girls had some bread and we walked toward the water. Lots of Geese, very few ducks and us basically. There's a really old swing set and some other unfun, kid climbable thing with a slide. I noticed the paddle boat/canoe rental shack and I found the cost to rent them no way worth it, passed on that. We sat on a park bench for maybe fifteen minutes and watched the weirdo who wanted my car, peddle dope to people who would approach his window..it became pretty obvious what he was doing there..it was really lame to say the least.

Been to Silver Lake? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK