“Great food, need better staff training!!”

Thyme Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #121 of 322 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

I have this restaurant a 4 based on multiple visits. We visited this restaurant last night (Saturday) and as always the food was excellent. With that said, I would have given this a review a 2 had it been our only visit. The waitress was a young (17 year old) girl. We had asked about rotating beer on tap lust and she just answered "I don't know, I am only 17 and new (stop)" We had to request that she get the bartender to answer our questions -and place a drink order. During our meal ordering I ordered the penne pasta with side salad with ranch. My husband ordered a burger but didn't specify a side. Or friends ordered similar to us, pasta and a burger, and also didn't specify sides. The young waitress never asked. She brought out my side salad and we got to wondering what the others would have... French fries with the burgers or some mystery side. The food came out. I got my pasta as did my friend. The burgers came out... no side, just the burgers. So we asked if they came with fries to which the waitress responds "Oh yeah... they just weren't up yet" A few minutes later she came back but only with 1 side of fries. Or friend that ordered the burger questioned where his was to which she responded " well you needed to order it. Really!! She was completely undertrained on the menu and didn't know that as a waitress she should be ASKING her patrons what the want as sides. Also why the cook didn't question the lack of sides for the order. The menu clearly states the meals come with sides. Please management train your new staff. This girl was completely clueless as what she needed to do and could tell she was just struggling along. She was sincere, attentive, friendly and would make a wonderful waitress once she gets the training she clearly needs. Apart from the ordering issues we did enjoy the food.

Thyme2016, Manager at Thyme Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Thank you for your business and for your review. I apologize for the experience you had with our server. We have taken the proper steps to ensure our staff are fully trained. We would love the chance to make things right and for you to give us another try.

Reviewed 26 March 2017

Thyme is an interesting restaurant. It is located in the Holiday Inn in downtown Rochester. Parking is limited due to location; however, there are ample parking ramps.

Why is Thyme interesting? It has an upscale decor; however, the majority of the clientelle were dressed down to more of a bar & grill feel. It's an unique mixture - very expected of a restaurant hotel (due to the wide variety of hotel visitors).

Overall, the pace of the staff was laid back. I wouldn't say "slow", but it is more relaxed than your Chili's or AppleBees. I liked it; however, you should budget an hour plus unless you state your on a time constraint.

We ordered the specialty Buffalo Wings with pub chips as an appetizer. There were less wings (6) than most restaurant appetizers (8-10); however, the pub chips made up for it. I'd rank the appetizer as a whole above that of similar restaurants.

For the entrees: (rough price in parenthesis)
Salmon ($16) - the portion was smaller than expected. Overall the taste & flavor was slightly lower than I expected. Not a bad entree, but it left me wanting more.
Whiskey steak ($22) - this was another specialty. Good presentation & flavor. The marinade is unique and I'd rank this above similar restaurants steaks.
Chicken quesadillas ($8) - these weren't quite what we expected. They could be a winner for other families, but for us, they were off the mark. I wouldn't personally recommend these, but again to each their own.
Shaved steak sandwich [like a Philly steak cheese] ($15) - these appeared to be from the same marinade as the whiskey steak. Good flavor & the Ciabatta bun was better than the typical hoagie bun. This was a win for our family

$80 bill for 4 entrees and appetizer w/o drinks. I believe the whiskey steak was the highest priced menu item.

We would return when we have another 1-2 hours of quality time to talk and dine.

2  Thank Bobby M

Thank you for your business and your review. I apologize for the slower service and that some of our menu items didn't quite measure up to your expectations. We have taken the proper steps to insure that service and food quality are up to par. We would like the chance to make sure you have an amazing dining experience if you visit us again.

Reviewed 2 February 2017 via mobile

I had the whiskey sirloin and red potatoes. They were pretty good. My mom had the fettuccini which was also pretty good. Just had soft drinks and onion rings and bill was less than $40 so reasonably priced. Food did not come as ordered but don't know if that was the fault of the server or kitchen.

Thank you for your business and for your review. I apologize for your food not coming as ordered regardless of fault. We would like to invite you back to give you an amazing dining experience.

Reviewed 30 January 2017

My wife and I tried the Thyme restaurant over lunch today - a business meeting. It is a very nice & quiet restaurant located in downtown Rochester. The lunch menu had around 10-15 choices; not too many, but enough to choose from.

I had the grilled chicken sandwich w/ fries. It was good; the only suggestion I would have would be to offer BBQ sauce as a topping.
My wife had the buffalo chicken wrap. She ordered the dressing on the side & was glad as she wouldn't have liked that much sauce on it.

Our meals were $10 each which is in-line with the food, but a little low for the atmosphere. Overall, I'd recommend this to others for a nice quiet dinner.

Thank you for your business and for your review. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 January 2017

I ordered room service from this restaurant at the hotel. The food was excellent, but it took almost 45 minutes to get to.

Thank you for business and review. We apologize for your room service taking so long. We hope the next time you come you have a much better experience! We look forward to seeing you again soon!