“Really Fun!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Nisswa
minneapolis
“Really Fun!”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Grand View Lodge is a wonderful place to stay! We rented a big cabin on the property for my whole family and it was a blast. The cabin was new and very nicely furnished with a wonderful view of the lake. The beach and pool were excellent, and the restaurants were very good. We especially liked the small Italian restaurant. Grand View was a great place to stay with something for everybody in the family to enjoy. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank shapiro22
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Central Minnesota
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed in a Golf Villa (565) March 16-18. We had a great time. It had a full kitchen, living room upstairs, bedroom and bath upstairs, living room downstairs as well as a pool table, tv, fridge, bedroom and bath. Each bedroom had 2 queen beds. My only complaint was the mattresses were old and uncomfortable, but everything else was great. It also had a deck with patio furniture and it was steps away from the fire ring.
I have never had a bad experience at Grand View. Breakfast buffet was also included and it was also very good.

Room Tip: I think they are all good.
2 Thank trvlnfun21
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This place lives up to it's reputation. Delightful service, delicious food, spotless and well appointed accomodations. Don't hesitate to go. Book now and don't use their online service. Call and you will get more options and a better deal.

We loved the Roy Cabins. Loved them. So quiet and just across the street (about 1 1/2 miles) from the main lodge. We loved the quietness of that part of the resort. The cabins are right on the edge of the water. We watched the ice melt, but I bet it's even better when the docks are in! We saw Eagles every day, one that ate a fish just out on the ice in front of our cabin. The fireplace was delightful, the kitchen probably the best stocked with tools in any rental we've ever been in, the bed and linens comfy, and the bathroom was incredible. I used the soaking tub every night! Our cabin had a set of bunk beds in the "den" which worked well for our family. This was the only cabin with the bunks.

Staff were all phenomenal. I don't say that lightly. Everyone we met smiled and was friendly and happy to help us. We had a slight issue that's not worth mentioning here as it was taken care of very well. Everyone we dealt with during this issue was friendly and accomodating.

Breakfast buffet each morning was varied and delicious. There was so much to choose from. Eggs, bacon, sausage, two kinds of potatoes, fresh fruit, yogurt parfaits, oatmeal, toast bar, juice bar, blueberry pancakes, caramel or cinnamon rolls, etc etc etc. Each morning there were new items, so it didn't get old. The coffee wasn't the best. I wish they would partner with Stone House in Nisswa for their delightful coffee. (Be sure to swing in there and have freshly roasted coffee and amazing scones. They even grind their own wheat for the scones. Unbelieveable.)

We ate at the pub the first night and had a delicious meal. My husband had the Walleye Cakes which were so good we had them again the last night we were there. My son had Walleye with Wild Rice and sweetcorn sauce served with green beans--it was outstanding. And I had the Chicken Portabella sandwich--amazing. All was fresh and served up quickly. We actually enjoyed the pub food more than we did Cru.

Cru is a beautiful new restaurant with both entrees and small plates. It was kind of hit or miss, but we would go back and try it again. I had an amazing three beet salad. My son's pecan crusted Walleye was a huge disappointment as it was very bland. We had anticipated something on a par with the huge, delicious fillet he had in the pub. The chef's take on tater tot hot dish was way too heavy on the bleu cheese, but the concept was fun. The crab cake paled in comparison to the pub's delicious Walleye cakes. My husband's steak was delicious, but very pricey. Fresh, homemade bread was a nice start and the wine selection was outstanding. I think a Wine Dinner here would be really incredible. My recommendation is to take the wait staff's suggestions--ours was cautious about the tater tot hot dish--I should have listened to her. I'm looking forward to the Lamb Sliders next time we visit. This restaurant had a very romantic atmosphere, but it was very family friendly. We were dressed up, but there were people in sweatshirts and jeans too. It's a nice option for the resort and I think, with time, will be outstanding.

Houskeeping was excellent the first morning, but then haphazard after that. They could use some work on consistency. One day a woman just asked if there was anything that we needed and I was so taken aback, I just asked for more towels. The next day a young person came in and "cleaned", but it wasn't nearly the service we got the first morning. This was a treat for our family and since I do all the housekeeping at home, was hoping for a little better service at the resort. Not something that would lower my star rating of this resort, but a suggestion for them to take a closer look at.

This resort is a place to just unwind. The staff happily takes care of you and you really don't need to leave the resort for anything. It's been a long time since my family has taken this type of vacation. We will return time and time again for this kind of experience. Thank you Grand View!

Room Tip: Roy lake for quieter accomodations, ask to be closer to the main lodge if you like to be in the acti...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Lilbet247
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I stayed at the Grandview Lodge for a girl's weekend with a friend. The space was what you'd expect from a 100-or-so year old resort. We stayed in the main lodge. The room had a sofa, small patio, king bed, etc. The bed was WAY too firm, I've stayed at a lot of resorts where people complain about the bed's firmness (primarily in Mexico, the Caribbean) and none of them made my back hurt like this one (I'm in my early 30s, for reference).

We had some issues with reservations. I was able to make a 10 am appointment for my friend and myself to get a hot stone massage. The practitioner was great - but the big issue is that, though we were told 10am, we were actually scheduled for 9:45. We lost out on 1/4 of our massage, and still had to pay full price. Bummer.

The second issue was with reservations at CRU. My friend called to make a reservation, the person on the phone mentioned, 6, my friend asked for 7, they offered 6:30, then settled on a 6:45 reservation. I heard the actual conversation. The issue was that we came in at 6:45 and were told that we missed our reservation because it was at 6pm. Augh!

Finally, our cleaning crew didn't refresh water or coffee - we had to head down to the front desk to ask for them. That was not a big deal, just a nice to know.

I don't know that I'd stay at Grand View Lodge again. There are a lot of great resorts and cabins that we could rent that are closer to home. Maybe I'm spoiled by all the resorts that function like a well-oiled machine, but I was not impressed.

1 Thank kenzielarae
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I just spent a great weekend at Grand View Lodge with my sister. Arrived on Friday 3/16 for massages, mani/pedi at the spa - as usual it was a wonderful day. Services started on time, staff professional, friendly, spa was clean. Loved the lemon & cucumber infused water in the relaxation room! Cabin 126 lakeside was great, we enjoyed a bottle of wine, snacks on the deck. Fri dinner @ Northwoods Pub was awesome (spinach schrimp salad, wild rice soup & cosmo martinis...okay we are RELAXED gals. Power walked around the resort, shopped Brainerd, back on our deck by 5 for wine, cheese & crackers. Friendly cabins neighbors, weather had most folks outside but it was relaxed & felt like we were in our own little peice of heaven on that deck! Dinner at CRU, we had reservations. I travel frequnently, own a lakehome an hour from GVL. Born/have lived in MN my entire 50 years.... dinner at CRU was one of the best I have had in Crow Wing county in years, perhaps ever (except that I am lifelong fan of Norway Ridge on Kimble Lake) Okay back to GVL: staff at fronk desk awesome, same for Pub & crew & spa - no complaints what so ever. Constrruction underway at main dining room, looks to be ready by May & will be beautiful, we hear a new menu is coming as well...just got home hours ago & we are already planning a couples long weekend and will be back for spa weekend &CRU by the fall for sure. Resorts guests were diverse- gals weekends, couples, families and everyone we chatted with or observed seemed like us...happy, relaxed and enjoying themselves.

Room Tip: lakeside cabins have great access to pool area, playground, paths everywhere which make it easy for...
2 Thank Joan M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nisswa
11.7 km away
3.6 km away
Lost Lake Lodge
Lost Lake Lodge
#5 of 7 in Nisswa

Been to Grand View Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK