“Excellent Vietnamese and Thai options”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Bar Scene
Good for: Bar Scene
Reviewed 22 October 2017

We're long time fans of Jasmine Deli, a simple little hole-in-the wall serving delicious, simple Vietnamese food and owned by the same family that runs Jasmine 26. For a more upscale experience, Jasmine 26 serves tasty dishes at reasonable prices in a pleasant environment. It's a terrific choice if you vegetarians/vegans/meat-eaters in your party--something for everyone-- and it's generally quiet enough for good conversation, often tough to find in many restaurants these days.

Date of visit: August 2017

Reviewed 9 October 2017

We went for dinner. They have the usual Vietnamese offerings as well as some different things. We shared the Tiger Shrimp as an appetizer and they were delicious. We also shared the Bo Ne, sautéed beef and potatoes served with an egg. It was interesting and good. Prices are a bit higher than your average Vietnamese restaurant, but food is very good.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 14 August 2017

I'm super happy to find a place that makes it easy for people who eat meat as well as people who are vegetarian/vegan. It's a really hard balance, but the menu at Jasmine 26 makes it incredibly easy. Also, you can add alcohol to your bubble tea. WHAT?! Why would I drink bubble tea any other way (almost)? I highly recommend the salt & pepper tofu. It is delicious. We've now gone twice in a week and I can see if becoming one of our go-to restaurants.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 31 October 2015

Two “Jasmine” restaurants in downtown/south Minneapolis offer the best Vietnamese food in the Twin Cities. Both are near 26th St. and Nicollet Ave. S. on “Eat Street,” a few blocks from the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, and are owned by Vietnamese sister Le Truong and brother Vinh. The newer, fancier “Jasmine 26” with its carefully edited Vietnamese-Asian fusion menu and full-service bar offers an impressive dining experience at moderate prices. (See also “Jasmine Deli.”)

My wife and I consider Jasmine 26 our favorite restaurant. With an upscale look but low to mid-range prices, it features very fresh food in both traditional and fusion Vietnamese style cuisine. Master cook Le Truong must have some of the most discerning taste buds in the Twin Cities. She buys fresh food at the open markets almost daily in warm months and twice a week in winter. Le and her cooks also are able to accommodate a wide variety of diets and food restrictions and still make the food taste amazing.

Thus the menu prices come as a shock. It offers popular lunches for a low cost. A variety of dinners in the evening are moderately priced, from noodle and rice dishes to great hotpots. You can add a number of Vietnamese and fusion appetizers and desserts for a full meal.

My wife and I have found that many dishes are top standouts. I am a big fan of curries. The first time I had one of Le’s curries, my mouth dropped open. Then I couldn’t stop eating. Le has developed one of the finest savory assortments of curry sauces in the Twin Cities. My personal favorite is the rich-in-flavor yellow curry: slightly sweet, never too thick or oily, and as hot or mild as I request. Another favorite of mine is her Vietnamese-style pad thai—in my opinion, the best pad thai in the Twin Cities. Traditional Vietnamese street food is well represented, too, with interesting surprises: the pork belly and poached egg over rice was a juicy revelation the first time I ordered it and even now makes my mouth water.

My wife is an especially big fan of Le’s Vietnamese salads and soups. In the summer, her favorites are the traditional bun salad, and the apple and cashew salad. In winter, she says, the beef soup pho is among the best in the Twin Cities. Le has mastered the special secret of French-Vietnamese cooking—rich, flavorful sauces and broths—and has well taught her staff of cooks in these small taste miracles.

Jasmine 26 is open 11 am-11 pm Tues.-Thurs. and Sunday, and 11 am-midnight Fri.-Sat. (closed Mon.).

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed 15 March 2015 via mobile

The sister restaurant of the Jasmine Deli, which is right on Nicolet, this option serves drinks and alcohol and has a higher end menu, feel and prices. The waitress gave us a great overview of the options, from pho, to pad Thai to curry there are plenty to choose from but a bit difficult to imagine based on the descriptions. I had the green curry, which was delicious and a bit of a soup that you spooned over rice. The only knock I had from the experience was at some point the bartender fired up the blender, at it was a bit deafening. Otherwise, great meal, great food, good service.