“Better than expected, mostly Colombian!”

Los Andes Restaurante
Ranked #606 of 1,945 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 13
Cuisines: Colombian, Ecuadorean
Reviewed 1 July 2018

We came to Los Andes on a very hot day, 99 degrees with a dew point of 75. The air conditioning was minimal, unfortunately. (We had hoped for a cool retreat.) A first look at the menu revealed relatively few vegetarian choices, which was unfortunate. I was looking for familiar Ecuadorian dishes and found some although the selection seemed less familiar than what I know from Ecuador or Peru so I deduced that it must be more Colombian than anything.

As our food came it was surprisingly good. We did manage to find a pretty good selection of vegetarian choices, but if we came back we would end up eating the same things over and over. We ordered humitas con queso, baked corn cakes with cheese which tasted quite freshly ground, slightly sweet and good corn flavour. There were also some patacones con queso, fried green plantain with cheese. These were also delicious, crispy, slightly sweet and cheesy. These would be great with beer. All three of us decided to have the vegetarian plate which was pretty good, although it was quite starchy. It did include some cheese and beans for protein. I also sampled some tree tomato juice. (Tree tomatoes are a uniquely Andean fruit somewhat like a tomato but grown on trees.)

There are some Andean places in town that do somewhat better but this was still quite satisfying. Service was friendly although our server could have kept a little closer eye on the water, given the heat.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Little hole in the wall we only went to because we found a groupon for it. My girlfriend is a picky Ecuadorian and thought the food was fantastic. Enough said!

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Sad because we had high hopes for finally trying Colombian and Peruvian food in Minneapolis, and this wasn't the best.

The two ladies working there however were very sweet, especially to our toddler.

This place also need a good cleaning...

Reviewed 19 February 2017

we went with another couple to celebrate a premature valentines day dinner. Nothing special about atmosphere. Friendly, prompt service. I was disappointed that they were out of Peruvian Ceviche. We shared a spicy shrimp ceviche appetizer, mussels with fresh salsa on them, lapichangas? (potato cakes) . All entrees great, shrimp and rice, seafood stew, and corvina with fries. You can eat really well for about 25 a person here., and get some authentic peruvian food.

Reviewed 18 April 2016

Just by one of the reviews below I felt discouraged on going but still, I was curious about it all. The place is very easy to get to but quite different than what its web site present it to... The location of such restaurant is in the ghetto part of town and not a fancy place at all. I bought two plates and they were well served and not for the budget minded.
I only liked the food because is the closest I can to eat anything from South America.

I might not go to it again... it need a different more appealing location in a different neighborhood.