“Wow! Great Peruvian food.”

Los Andes Restaurante
Ranked #605 of 1,948 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 13
Cuisines: Colombian, Ecuadorean
Reviewed 19 February 2017

we went with another couple to celebrate a premature valentines day dinner. Nothing special about atmosphere. Friendly, prompt service. I was disappointed that they were out of Peruvian Ceviche. We shared a spicy shrimp ceviche appetizer, mussels with fresh salsa on them, lapichangas? (potato cakes) . All entrees great, shrimp and rice, seafood stew, and corvina with fries. You can eat really well for about 25 a person here., and get some authentic peruvian food.

Reviewed 18 April 2016

Just by one of the reviews below I felt discouraged on going but still, I was curious about it all. The place is very easy to get to but quite different than what its web site present it to... The location of such restaurant is in the ghetto part of town and not a fancy place at all. I bought two plates and they were well served and not for the budget minded.
I only liked the food because is the closest I can to eat anything from South America.

I might not go to it again... it need a different more appealing location in a different neighborhood.

Reviewed 8 January 2016

We visited with our son's girlfriend whose family is originally from Peru so we could try some authentic dishes. Great fun and terrific service. Big portions so leftovers that heated up well at home.
Started with Empanadas de Carne (meat turnovers) LLAPINGACHO (fried potato cakes) and SALCHIPAPAS (french fries and frankfurters). All were delicious and the spicy tomatillo sauce added interest to the appetizers.
For entries we all shared PICADA LOS ANDES (a buffet of beef, chicken pork and shrimp and plantains. I highly recommend this and will especially come back for this dish. Also ordered POLLO AL GRILL (grilled chicken) and ARROZ CON CHAULAFAN (fried rice with chicken, beef and plenty of shrimp. I actually liked this more than Asian fried rice because it had no bean sprouts. I think bean sprouts are boring. LOMO SALTADO (sirloin, fries, rice and avocado) was also excellent.
Prices were reasonable, portions large. Can't say enough good things about this experience.

Reviewed 8 March 2015

I came across a Groupon for Los Andes for Ecuadorian/Columbian cuisine ($12 for $20 worth of food) and I have never eaten at a Central or South American restaurant so my boyfriend and I headed there on Friday night for a late night dinner. I was about 9:30pm (they are open til 11) and there was only 2 other occupied tables. We received a friendly greeting and the vibe was very much like you were a guest of someone's family. It is nothing fancy, very simple, small and not too concerned with decor. I even was under the impression that our waitress was also cooking and it seemed that she was the owner as well. It took us a good 20 minutes looking at the menu trying to figure out what we wanted. There was so many options and so many I wanted to try. In a last second decision between Peruvian Ceviche and the Plato de Mariscos I chose the latter. My boyfriend ordered the jalea which was similar to the seafood (minus mussels/clams) in my dish except fried. We also ordered empanadas de pollo for an appetizer. There is 3 and they are quite big. The appetizer could actually be a meal itself. The sauce they put at the table is so good we asked for more. We each ate one and saved one to take home. I'm glad we did because we had so much food to follow.
When my plato de mariscos came, with a plate of a big rice pile (I would say there was 2 1/2 cups of rice on that plate) my eyes were amazed. I couldn't believe I was getting this much food for 13.99. It came in a huge (14-16 inch diameter) saucer bowl in a delicious salty broth with squid, octopus, mussels, clams, snow crab legs, cassava and plantains. I am picky about octopus because the suctions have a weird texture if they aren't cooked well. These were delicious. I ate about 1/4 cup of the rice and maybe 1/2 of the entree. The rest I took home for another huge meal. My boyfriend finished a little over 1/2 of his plate. You know the portions are huge when he takes nearly half his meal home. We had actually planned on sharing a shake for dessert, but there was no way we could eat any more.
You can actually call 24 hours in advance and order a special guinea pig plate. If you're feeling adventurous

Reviewed 21 February 2015 via mobile

Having recently returned from a trip to Lima, we were craving some Peruvian food, and were pleasantly surprised by this find in South Minneapolis. The service was friendly and prompt, and the menu had a great variety of dishes. The lomo Saltado and ceviche were more than decent, and we will be back to try some of the other menu offerings. The only con is that parking is hard to come by since there is no lot.