“Great food and cool show”

Ichiban Japanese Steak House - Minneapolis
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 40
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Grant (Between 13th & 14th)
Transit: The light rail stops between 4th and 5th on Nicollet. We are at 1333 Nicollet.
Reviewed 23 April 2012

the food was great and we really enjoyed the chef. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the sushi was awesome

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Compared to other Japanese restaurants I've been to this one seems pricey. However, where else can 10 people walk in and be seated immediately and be entertained with a good quality meal?
I'm not unhappy but would not repeat. Hope that makes sense....

Reviewed 27 March 2012

My family makes reservations once a year to go here for a big family dinner. It's our birthday/Christmas presents from my Mom. This year, we had a group of 13 of us. They were really great about our reservations and getting us sat right away. You should know, if you aren't on time for your reservations; your seats will be given away.

We sat upstairs which is always nice. The chef had a couple little incidents of butter fingers prior to starting the meal but he laughed it off easily. Usually the jokes are the same each year (they roll an egg across the Hibachi "egg roll"). This year however, our chief had new stuff. My sister had a hard time stopping laughing after their corny, yet funny jokes. It is a little hard with all the commotion to have much of a conversation with anyone who's not directly next to you though.

The food, as always was fabulous. The soup (1st course) is always increadable! I'm not personally a fan of the chicken liver appetizer but their filet minion is the best I've ever had. I usually have to have steak sauce or something with steak. Theirs it would be a crime to take away from the natural flavor they have.

We all leave full, but not horribly greasy and nasty full. We all feel like we'd just had the perfect proportion of a meal and not overly stuffed.

It is definatley pricey though. Our bill was a little smaller then usual (not much for adult beverages and lots of kids). The total for 13 of us was a little over $600. If you ask my mom, it's worth the "family time."

Reviewed 22 March 2012

This is my favorite restaurant in Mpls. The food is fabulous, and the atmosphere is set for a fun and, for us, a romantic evening. The service is great, and the entree is cooked tepanyaki style on a hibachi right in front of you. Everything is fresh and tasty. The show put on by the chef isn't overpowering. Thankfully, no food is thown at customers trying to catch it in open mouths, as you see in some tepanyaki style places! I always ask to go to Ichiban every year on my birthday. We can't go too often because it's pricey, but we've learned to take advantage of their early bird plates and DMC cards, which we purchase every year. The service is always polite, with foods served piping hot that should be, and friendly. Parking is challenging at Ichiban, because they no longer validate at the garage right across the street. Instead, they do this at a garage a fair distance from the restaurant. But even this inconveninence makes a trip downtown to Ichiban worthwhile.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

There are 3 different experiences, the bar with great staff and great service, then there's the tepanyaki room with well trained and personable chefs who keep you entertained and cook great food. And then the Sushi bar. A moving moat brings all kinds of sushi to you with the sushi chefs constantly replenishing it and servers filling your tea and water and bringing what ever other appetizers you want, all you can eat for one price.
Great place for the family or a date.