“Great cubano”
Review of Victor's 1959 Cafe

Victor's 1959 Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Victor's 1959 Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 1,946 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West 38th Street
Transit: We are on the corner of West 38th Street and Grand Ave South in Minneapolis. Both streets are major bus lines.
Reviewed 19 February 2017

Best sandwich in the city. Not best cubano sandwich, best sandwich in the city! Greay breakfast too. I'm never dissapointed after eating here.

Reviewed 16 February 2017

I love the feel of this little place. Its quaint environment, colorful clientele and laid back atmosphere made for a relaxing early lunch. I loved the coffee, but was sort of disappointed with my "Cubano" sandwich. I've had many cubano sandwiches in my day, and this one was barely average. I was hoping for so much more. Here's my take on the sandwich. The bread was great, as was the ham. The pulled pork was very dry and without any flavor whatsoever. I ordered the sandwich with chorizo, but really could not taste it. The portion was great, but it lacked any real flavor and it was very dry. It's not that it was horrible, it just wasn't anything special. I'm willing to give it a pass as maybe it was a one time situation where something was just "off". I'll give it one more try and then make my final determination. The house-made chips were great, as were plantains. I just was not impressed with the Cubano, which they claim as being on Diners-Drive ins and dives. My server was very kind and pro active, in fact all the servers were, as they floated around to check on me, even if they were not my server. Like I said, I will give it one more time and see if it's any better.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

I went for the first time for dinner, and it was just as good as it has been the past several years for breakfast! We shared the meatball appetizer, which was outstanding. My friend tried the Picadillo a la Cubana for the main course, and I had the Fricasse de Pollo. Both were excellent. As always, the fried plantains are not to be missed. There was more food than I could eat at one sitting, so I had leftovers for lunch - even better the second time around, which you can't say for most restaurants!

We even tried the Flan con Coco Rellado for dessert. Flan and creme brulee are two of the things I always try in restaurants to see what sort of kitchen is being run there. These are very similar desserts (barring the caramelized sugar) that are very easy to mess up, but when done right, are done really really right. Victor 1959 does it right.

If you are looking for a good, consistent restaurant in Minneapolis, off the beaten path, and with a very lively atmosphere, Victor 1959 is well worth the trip.

Reviewed 7 February 2017

Victor's is a quintessential hole-in-the-wall restaurant that matches great food with charming quirkiness. The Cuban plates are some of the best you'll find anywhere; the cubano sandwich was wonderful and sufficiently large that you can bring home the other half for lunch the next day, and the picadillo platter was also great. The interior is small but cozy and great fun -- most of North America has signed their names or added other words of wisdom on the walls, ceiling, benches, tables, you name it, and other quirky pieces and decor abounds. And it's a complete cross-section of diners -- locals, young parents with small kids, hipsters, you name it. Do not miss.

Reviewed 13 January 2017

My wife and I are always on the lookout for those little hole-in-the-wall places that people love so much that they are always packed, but despite their success having outgrown their space, they maintain what made people love it in the first place. This is certainly that. The atmosphere is cozy, crowded, warm, overwhelming (but in a good way), and fascinating. My friend gave us several choices for breakfast, but we could tell he was kind of pushing this one, so that's what we picked and we count ourselves lucky for having done so. I'm afraid I can't remember what my wife had, but I know she loved it. I had a Cuban omelette, and the whole plate was absolutely fantastic. Sadly, this is the first time in months I've had time to sit down and write any reviews, but Victor's deserved an applause for their food and decor. The only reason I didn't give it full marks was the staff was a bit lukewarm, which seemed rather out of character with the rest of the place and it was a pity. Regardless I still highly recommend this place for breakfast.