“DELICIOUS!!! Get the lobster roll!”
Review of Smack Shack

Smack Shack
Ranked #43 of 1,862 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 30
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Our History Although named for the boats used to catch lobster, Smack Shack was launched as a food truck in 2010 serving lobster rolls from a land-locked downtown Minneapolis parking lot. Owner Josh Thoma had a great recipe and a belief that appetite for fresh lobster in the Twin Cities was as strong as any coastal city. Food Truck As the truck menu evolved, so did the relationship between the City of Minneapolis and food trucks. In 2011, new legislation was passed allowing trucks to park at city meters on designated streets, allowing the truck to get out and gain new fans. It could be often found on Marquette Avenue and 7th. With a commercial kitchen within the City of Minneapolis, and the want to continue serving Lobster rolls through the winter months, Smack Shack developed a fortuitous and legendary partnership with The 1029 Bar in Northeast Minneapolis where they still serve today. Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives In December 2010, Smack Shack began cooking out of the kitchen at the 1029 Bar, kicking everything off with a traditional lobster boil in January 2011. The relationship grew and lobster fans as well as local and national media flocked to the 1029 Bar. In November 2011, Guy Fieri and the crew from The Food Network's "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" showed up to tape a segment about the truck and the 1029. 603 Washington Avenue As the "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives episode aired in April 2012, plans for the brick and mortar restaurant in a historic building in Minneapolis' North Loop were announced and construction began shortly thereafter. Smack Shack opened on a snowy night in February 2013 and continues to be heralded by fans and food critics as one of Minneapolis' best.
Reviewed 4 July 2017

My husband and I went here for dinner. We had a reservation for 5pm and were seated immediately. We opted for the patio which part of is basically in an alley way which was a little strange but there was very minimal traffic through there. The patio is dog friendly as we saw some other fur babies there. My husband ordered the Jambalaya and loved it. I got the Connecticut lobster roll, it was amazing. Big, juicy, tender chunks of lobster meat overflowing from the sandwich. We finished the meal off with carrot cake from the dessert menu which was HUGE!! Triple layer cake with decadent cream cheese frosting between each layer and on the outside. Service was great, just amazing all around!

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

The food was amazing and the amazing atmosphere of the breeze coming from the outside. Also, this place was featured on Guy Fieri's show! Great place for a summertime dinner. Although the meals are a little expensive, that's expected with seafood. The portions are just right and you are left feeling full but not too full. For my meal I had the Maine Lobster and it was cooked just right, also one of their most popular dishes. For dessert, I really recommend the carrot cake!

Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

I went to the smack shack for a business dinner. There is a great open layout. The servers are friendly and the service is good. But the lobster kind of sucked. I got a lobster roll and asked the server for the best kind. They referred me to the original. It had no taste. The bread was good and the fries were OK but there was no mayonnaise and no real flavor to it. I was disappointed. Get your lobster roll right

Reviewed 26 June 2017

Had a pretty good experience at the Smack Shack. The food was pretty good, and they had a variety of beers. I definitely recommend the Smack Shack Original Lobster Roll. My husband got the "Lobster Lucy" Burger, he did enjoy it but there was the smallest piece of lobster...
Service wasn't that great, our server kept us pretty thirsty which is a BIG NO in my book.

Reviewed 26 June 2017

I can't rave enough about the amazing lobster rolls- except the ever rising price. If you want the same lobster roll, from the same chef and at a cheaper price go down to the 1029 Bar.

1  Thank KatieZ995