“Oriental tapas”

PinKU Japanese Street Food
Ranked #230 of 1,985 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$ 4 - US$ 16
Description: PinKU Japanese Street Food is a brand new chef-inspired, authentic fine-casual restaurant concept in Minneapolis. Founded by two start-up entrepreneurs, it is a compelling local story performing an art form rooted in culture, entertainment, and education.
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Pinku is located in the Minneapolis north loop. They serve a small selection of small dishes which are very tasty. There are raw (sushi) and cooked seafood, meat on cakes, for a variety. We tasted 8 of the dishes between 3 of us and were well satisfied. The two sake based cocktails were tasty and will not make you drunk unless you consume several. They also have Japanese beers. Great food in a casual atmosphere

Date of visit: June 2018
Xiaoteng H, Owner at PinKU Japanese Street Food, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Thank you 697arjuns for your visiting us and taking the time to write this review!! We are so happy that you enjoyed everything!! Glad that you tried our sake too!! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2018

I had the spicy tuna poke and the seared salmon rice which were both very good. They recommend 2 or 3 items per person which I like because I like small plates. I was there for lunch so didn't try anything on the drink menu. My only minor complaint is the metal chopsticks. I am fairly adept at using them, but round metal ones make it tough to scoop up the last tasty morsels.

Date of visit: June 2018
Xiaoteng H, Owner at PinKU Japanese Street Food, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2018

Thanks TamsAdventures!!! We actually have wooden chopsticks if you ask for them! Fork and spoons are also available if you want to scoop up that last piece of rice! We love the metal chopsticks for its aesthetics, environmental friendly nature, and consistency with our restaurant design. Hope that helps!

Reviewed 26 April 2018

The decor is nice, but the food is overpriced and inauthentic. After living in Japan in both the countryside and in Tokyo, I have a love of Japanese bar and street food. So, my expectations were not met when I went to PinKU. Instead, I found it more of a hipster, pseudo-japanese place.

When I went, the maitre'd/waiter explained the menu, seated me, and took my order. I ordered the Jumbo Crispy Shrimp with Rice, Potstickers, and a Coke. My food came but my drink never did.

The menu items were overly-fussed - the fried shrimp was overworked. The portions were small - only a tiny bit of rice to go with the entrees. Most authentic restaurants give much more for the same price. The decor was very nice, but the metal trays and chopsticks just seem cheap and tacky. I was severely underwhelmed. It claims to offer street food, yet seemed to be trying to be upscale and to my mind fails at both. The "Street Food" moniker is misleading.

There are plenty of better Japanese restaurants in the cities, with more authentic food, that give more value for your money.

Date of visit: October 2017
Xiaoteng H, Owner at PinKU Japanese Street Food, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Thanks for visiting us baronforo. We're sorry that you never got your coke. We take orders at the counter and pour your drinks at the counter when you order your food. We do not have servers, so we're a little confused on why you were waiting for your drink at the table. Nevertheless we apologize for the confusion and will do better to explain the process to our guests. We serve rice on the side with every order and we would be happy to give you more rice for no additional charge if you simply ask us for more. Our metal trays and chopsticks are our signature style and most of our guests LOVE them. We're sorry to hear that you didn't like them. We would be happy to provide you with alternative silverware if that's what you prefer. Please come back again. Mention this review and we will be happy to buy your meal so you have a better experience. Thank you.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

I was meeting friend for dinner and she suggested this place - was a little concerned at first because the gnu is quite limited for vegetarians, but the cashier explained some options and made recommendations which turned out to be great.

My companion loved her food and we were both very pleased - would definitely recommend for the food, the service, and the overall experience

Date of visit: April 2018
Xiaoteng H, Owner at PinKU Japanese Street Food, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Thank you Raoul!! So glad that you tried our vegetarian options and loved it. We appreciate you recommendation and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 March 2018

I was on a business trip to Minneapolis this week and just happened to pick PinKU because the Izakaya spot with pork belly and Kimchi I was craving was closed. We had been out the night before, had gotten a little carried away with drinks on the expense account, and I was a little hungover, in need of some Japanese cuisine. PinKU did not disappoint.
I arrived shortly after they opened at 11 am and was promptly greeted. The gentleman came from behind the counter and explained how the menu was structured, how much most people order, and provided some solid recommendations. great, personable service. Everything looked and sounded delicious. I ended up ordering three items: Pork Gyoze, Crispy Shrimp, and seared Salmon. I also may have ordered a little "hair of the dog" in the form of a Hell Chicken lager.
Everything was absolutely amazing. The Gyoza had a thicker wrapping than I was used to, but I won't complain because the pork filling and accompanying sauce more than made up for any wrapper issues. The Shrimp was the fried deliciousness my belly craved and the Salmon melted in my mouth. I cannot wait to get back to Minneapolis to try the remaining items on the menu. Seriously, it's that good.

Date of visit: March 2018
Xiaoteng H, Owner at PinKU Japanese Street Food, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thank you tfiddy for visiting us on your trip and taking the time to write such detailed review!! We're so glad that you found us by accident. Is it that what out of town trips are all about! Happy to hear that you loved the experience. Next time you're back in town we may have a few new items so definitely check us out again!! Take care!