“First time diner at Zen House, we'll be back!”
Review of Zen House

Zen House
Ranked #4 of 21 Restaurants in Hermantown
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 February 2016

Tried Zen House for the first time at lunch. Tempura calamari was heavenly, sashimi sampler was fresh and great portion. Miso soup can taste off and oily, Zen House's was great. Hard to believe a sushi place sharing a building with a gas station would shine. Can't wait to try other treats on the big menu.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 January 2016 via mobile

My favorite sushi place in Duluth and Hermantown. The price is right. The taste is great! I recommend the seafood tempura!

Reviewed 18 March 2015

Zen House is a super place to have a nice meal. The food is good, presented nicely. I loved that they had Japanese music playing and not American.

What I can recommend to Zen House owner(s)...please do some regular cleaning on the place. The windows have water marks streaming down the sides. The carpet desperately needs cleaning. Make sure the bathroom is sparkling clean.

I like the wooden boards that the sushi is presented on, but I also wonder about cleaning. They probably can't be run through a dishwasher, and is the varnish food safe?

Keeping a place spotlessly clean is not that hard. It will bring people in and will not turn those who will take a look at it and turn away. You have the largest piece of the puzzle completed (the food), now finish it.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Immediately upon entering our Chinese friend Kay said, "This is good; you can tell by the aroma." Her opinion was supported by the eel "rice bowl" dish she and her boyfriend enjoyed. Two others raved about the noodle soup and I thoroughly enjoyed my salmon, avocado roll. We would return.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I've been going here for a fair number of years now but I haven't tried most of the menu. My benchmark dish is katsudon and Zen House makes a very good version of it. Why they call it pork donburi I don't know. The waitress knew what I meant when I ordered katsudon, but when she brought it to the table she said, here's your pork donburi, like perhaps she was correcting me. The miso soup is good as is the garden salad.
The sashimi has always been mediocre. The sushi station is approximately four feet wide. The selection is small. Every time I've gotten it over the past eight years or so, it's always been cut wrong. They cut it way too big and roll it up. On my recent visit it was total amateur hour with the same large cuts of fish that were holding too much water, which diluted the flavor. I'm guessing the fish is wrapped tight while frozen and is then stored at too warm a temperature so more condensation forms. The tuna and salmon were pale in color. The wasabi had too much water in it. I won't bother with it anymore.
The staff on this day were all young and presumably college students. I'd like to know who trained them. My waitress sounded almost a bit condescending, as if she was talking to a little kid, the way she asked several times how the food was, or, here's your _____. I don't need to be told what dish is being set down in front of me, and in general, with all restaurants, I hate it when the wait staff says, enjoy. Please, complete your sentence. Just because you saw it in some movie with a scene in an Italian restaurant doesn't mean you have to repeat it.
That said, the prices are decent and the menu has a good number of choices in most categories. I've never eaten at their downtown location which I'm told is on the skyway level. Perhaps they're doing a better job there.

Been to Zen House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK