“Not so harmonious”

Ranked #4 of 6 Restaurants in Harmony
Colorado
“Not so harmonious”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This restaurant was recommended by one of the local gift shops so six of us adults stopped in for lunch just before 1 p.m. What we didn't realize is that the restaurant closes at 1:30 and we were way too late to be treated with friendliness, and on the border of being treated with civility (except by the other customers who were very engaging) Maybe it was because we asked for a menu? Food was exactly as another reviewer described it: reminiscent of a school cafeteria... in the 1950's (or possibly a TV dinner from the same era), where your "side of fruit" is half a canned peach. I'll give the waitress the benefit of the doubt and assume she had a funeral to attend that afternoon.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank ChevyHeaven
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Anthem, Arizona
“Not good”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The place seems popular enough with the locals so we gave it a shot. The feel is that of a school cafetria. OK, I can live with that if the food is good. But it's not. The food matches the interior. Bland and lifeless. Canned green beans and plain white wonder bread. I would never recommend this place to anybody.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Jeff D
Minneapolis, MN
“Hit and Miss. Pie looked amazing!”
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I am an officianado of ma and pa cafes. My family rarely eats at chain restaurants. We like to stumble upon little town restaurants and enjoy good, homecooked food.

Please read my whole review because I want you to make your own decision before going here.

There were four choices: cod, roast beef dinner, or tuna noodle casserole or the soup. All came with mashed potatoes with brown gravy, homemade rolls, and your choice of cole slaw, cottage cheese, or peaches.

My husband and I ordered the roast beef dinner, our son the cod. Service was quick and friendly, but as the only waitress in the place, she was very busy. Pop served in the can with a glass of ice, no refill. Homemade rolls were ok, but could have been better if warmed. Our cole slaw was not crisp and there was way too much dressing. Our son did enjoy his peaches, but of course he did, they were canned. My roast beef was all crumbled and gristly. Mashed potatoes scooped with an ice cream scoop and frozen green beans cooked beyond recognition. I picked at it. My husband ate most of it, but he was hungry and after Army food, will eat just about anything.

Our son's cod was good, obviously frozen and deep fried. He got the same ice cream scoop potatoes with gravy and beans. He didn't touch them.

We watched a neighboring table receive the tuna noodle casserole (with the mashed potatoes and brown gravy) and a soup (surprisingly without the mashed potatoes and gravy!). The gentleman ate most of his casserole. It looked like about what you would expect--a surprise at a cafe, which got everyone who came in laughing. One woman commented as she laughed, "I've never seen that offered before anywhere." But, it looked pretty good.

Another woman came in and ordered a cold sandwich (you could do that?) and a huge piece of pie that looked amazing. The man behind us created his own menu item as well. We obviously weren't local enough. That gave us a laugh. That's the kind of thing we just love about going to ma and pa's. That and the stares when obvious non-locals wander in!

I suppose we could have asked if they'd make us a burger or sandwich or the like, but the waitress just said, "I have roast beef, cod, tuna noodle casserole, and the soup."

We went next door afterward and I'm still kicking myself for not buying an Amish made basket for an unbelievably cheap price. They're all in the basement section of the store, don't miss it!

All in all, I think this restaurant would be worth a try again, but I think I would ask more about what else was available and I would definitely have a bowl of soup and the pie.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Lilbet247
St. Paul, MN
“Just a small town cafe”
Reviewed 27 August 2009

We ate breakfast here one morning on our trip. It is just a small town cafe. There is nothing special about it. We got what you could get if you made your own breakfast. Only their food was quite greasy. The hash browns tasted like grease and I could have wrung the butter out of the toast. But I think that is the way they like it in farm country. It was the only place to eat in town so we had no choice. If ever in the area I will go on to another town to try something else out. This was not worth a return trip.

1 Thank 2gothere