“Great mini vacation!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Elk River
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
“Great mini vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

My husband and I took our grandkids, ages 9 and 5, for a getaway at the hotel/waterpark. It was wonderful from check-in to check-out. Front desk staff was welcoming and friendly, the room was great (we had a 2 room suite) and the waterpark was fantastic! We booked the package that included pizza and pop, and the pizza was homemade and delicious. We were really glad to have made that choice, eating poolside, rather than having to go out to dinner. It seemed to be really busy at the hotel, but our room was quiet and everyone had a great night's sleep. This is our 3rd trip to different waterpark hotels with grandkids, and the best. You can't beat the 4-story waterslides, and such a great atmosphere. We will certainly go back again.

Room Tip: Fourth floor was recommended by the front desk as super quiet (no one above you), and they were righ...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Travelhappy025
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Thank you for the wonderful feedback, we are so delighted to hear that your stay was enjoyable!

I agree, it is nice to be able to dine in the water park and not have to get dried off and change clothes to eat in the restaurant. I am happy to hear you all enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Greg Pike
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Huacas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Having to travel to Minnesota in January and February might not seem like the ideal option for a businesman, but the staff at the Holiday Inn - Elk River warmed up the climate for a travel weary guy. Heidi, Greg and the staff at the Front Desk were very attentive to our check-in and needs, Sandra and Beth in the lounge were pleasant and made you feel at home, and Jocelyn in the Sales office made our meeting arrangements simple and accomodating. The rooms were tastefully appointed and comfortable and the showers were better than home. Even though the weekends are crowded with the younger group for the water park, the staff tries to maintain decorum while making sure that everyone has a good time.

I will be a regular traveller to the area for business, and I will look forward to each and every trip there. Thanks for the experience, all.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank EpacWeb
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
WOW! Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback from your recent stay! Our team strives to provide a high level of service to all of our guests, and it is nice to know that our efforts are noticed. I will share these comments with the entire team so that they know that their efforts are appreciated.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Loretto, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

This Holiday Inn at Ostego MN has a nice water park for the kids to enjoy and the rooms are decent but there is a lot of room for improvement. First off I am a platinum member of Holiday Inn so I have stayed in their hotels worldwide for business travel and have seen great hotels and not so great. The front desk customer service is pretty much horrible and don't understand the word "customer service". Upon my arrival to the hotel at 4PM there was a crowd of people waiting around to check in and I kindly asked if there was a priority check in lane for elite members like all other Hotels I have stayed in. The response was "NO, you need to wait like everyone else". Fair enough, even though the priority check in sign was clearly displayed on the counter. When it was my turn at the front desk they stated the room was not ready and I need to come back in 30 minutes, this is after I stood in line for 25 minutes waiting to check in.....but everyone in front of me was able to get their rooms. I understand this hotel is not setup for business travelers that expect a certain level of customer service but more catered to families but c'mon the way they treated their "guest" was down right rude and not called for. I am obviously not going back and will be contacting Holiday Inn corporate directly on this experience... "they probably will not do anything about it either.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Mr. John H,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the manner in which your check in was handled. As a Platinum Priority Club member, your check in should have been handled immediately and without hassel, your loyalty has earned you that. I will discuss this service delivery with not only the staff that was on when you arrived, but the enitre guest service team.
Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel at your convenience so that we can discuss this further.

Thank you.
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We came down on Friday February 10th and spent one night. The room was very clean and comfortable. My husband, I and my two girls ages 11 and 9 enjoyed the waterpark very much. There was so much to do at this indoor waterpark compared to other indoor waterparks that we have gone to. The only bad thing about this waterpark was what other people have mentioned about the steps going up to the slides there is a very rusty pole and under the steps there was what looked like rust chips and hair binders. Other than that we really enjoyed it.
The next morning we went to the breakfast buffet in the hotel. Not bad for the price you pay and the kids eat free so that was a nice perk. They were very busy but our waitress was very nice.
All in all great stay and we for sure will be back!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KateKat23
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience while staying with us! We are currently in the planning phase to address the steps and other areas of the water park that need some attention. I will have our engineering staff check the steps today.

Thank you again, and we lok forward to serving you again in the future.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

My husband and I thought it would be fun to spend a night at this hotel/waterpark for my birthday. Checking in was chaotic since they only had two workers at their busiest time (4:00pm - check in time) and it's the same line whether you're checking into the hotel or if you're simply buying waterpark tickets. They were very disorganized but friendly so it wasn't too bad having to wait in line. Waterpark and hotel room were both very nice and clean. We ordered room service for breakfast the next morning before we left and the food was very good. We were pleased with our stay until we went downstairs to check out and my husband received a detailed copy of our bill. Long story short, we found out that the girl who delivered our room service had added a $5 tip to our bill! Fifteen percent gratuity is already included in the bill so my husband just simply signed the bill, leaving the tip and total lines blank (which he learned his lesson to never do again!). It was very obvious that my husband did not write the tip amount because the pen used was much thicker than the one my husband had used to sign his name. After it took HALF AN HOUR for the very disorganized staff to refund our $5, my husband then asked to speak to a manager. When the manager came over my husband explained to him what had happened, pointed out the obvious pen differences, and said that is flat out stealing. The only thing the manager would say is that he knows the girl who delivered our room service and didn't think this would be something she would do. He also said he can't say whether the two pens were different (even though it was very obvious). He took my husband's name and number and said he'd "look into it" and get back to us. That was two weeks ago and we have yet to hear from him! That leaves us to assume that they are hoping we'll forget about it and they can push it under the rug. I could care less about the $5 (which we did get refunded), it's the fact that a staff member stole from us and management could care less! We have contacted Holiday Inn corporate and hope to hear from them soon.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank heathab17
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, 28 January 2012
Thank you for your feedback, Please conatct me directly at the hotel to discuss this situation. It was my understanding that the manager that you spoke with attempted to contact you by phone and left a message.

Hotel Manager

8.8 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Albertville
18.2 km away
Cambria hotel & suites Maple Grove - Minneapolis

Been to Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK