“Great weekend away”

The Downtown Duluth Inn
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The hotel is older but room was good and staff was wonderful and friendly. Great spot if you want easy access to the DECC, downtown and Canal park. We took a cab as it was a bit chllly to walk but the cost was under$5...would have cost that much to park. Beds were good and had free wi-fi

Room Tip: Only 2 floors so not a problem. It had adequate parking for all guests and was pretty quiet
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank loungechairlizard
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Thank you very much for your recent visit and nice comments. We are quite proud of our little hotel, and do enjoy sharing it with our guests. I'm glad you enjoyed you time in Duluth and hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in town.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Downtown Duluth Inn

Reviewed 13 January 2012

I travel to Duluth a lot and I always stay at the Best Western Downtown. It's not down by the canal so I don't have to pay exhorbitant prices and it's an easy walk to restaurants, bars, etc. The staff is fantastic. Most notibly the front desk staff. They bend over backwards to make me feel welcome. They're so nice they could be "Canadian".
The rooms have been upgraded nicely, the beds are comfortable and clean. I LOVE the free wifi. So many hotels charge for this service. Plus, there's a computer in the lobby that you can use FREE. Imagine that!
The complimentary breakfast is really quite good for such a small establishment. Although the lobby is not big, there is a second comfortable lounge with a big screen tv and a washroom where I often enjoy breakfast. There is also a coin operated washer and dryer in the washroom so I can easily do laundry during a longer stay.
I like the Bestwestern Canadian club rewards program that offers a free room for every 10 nights that you stay. I've used this promotion a lot.
In high season they offer a free shuttle service which comes in handy if I have too many wobbly pops down at the Canal and don't trust myself to walk up the hill. Once during a snow storm the receptionist arranged for a free taxi to bring us back to the hotel because the shuttle wasn't available.
The coffee makers in the room are convenient and if I need a fridge they will get me one. I like that they have non smoking rooms. My friend left some valuable shoes in the room once and Sue from the front desk packaged them up and shipped them to her right away. Also, one time, I visited Duluth with a friend who was celebrating her birthday so one of the staff went out and bought a case of her favorite beer for me, which I later reimbursed him for, and put it in the room so that we could have a "cold" one as soon as we arrived. He even put a Happy Birthday note on it. Talk about good service.
On the down side, the hotel is located near the fire and police stations so sometimes you can hear a siren in the night. It doesn't bother me at all but some people might be put off by it. I almost never take my car when I go out for dinner at night and I've never had a problem walking by myself. I walk one block down to the Holiday Inn and take the indoor skywalk right down to Canal Park. It's brightly lit, safe and warm during those cold winter nights.
There's so much to do close by the Best Western Downtown, all within walking distance. Why pay more for a room that you're only going to sleep in. This place is clean, comfortable, friendly, priced right and I always feel like it's my home away from home.

Room Tip: rooms away from the street are a bit quieter
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank barkinglot
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2012

WOW - thanks for your many visits and for taking the time to write your lenghty and nice review. I'm so glad you are happy here, and we all really appreciate your compliments. I'd never heard of wobbly pops before, and hope you won't mind if I use it myself now and then. Sue and the rest of our team are happy to make your stays here memorable, and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

This hotel is one of the best places I've stayed at --- mainly because of the friendly and courteous front desk staff. The hotel itself is simple and clean, and the staff really excel in making guests feel comfortable and welcome. Their helpfulness is second to none in my book. My car broke down on the way to the hotel and they allowed me to cancel my reservation without penalty when I was forced to stay elsewhere on the first night. They also offered to allow me to keep my car at their hotel until I could find a service shop to bring it to, and offered to help me find a suitable shop, too! When I did eventually get to the hotel, they were superb from start to finish, even covering my cab from the airport. Their staff is awesome, and not snobby or condescending like you might find at some so-called upscale hotels.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Smart t
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2012

I'm sorry you had car trouble on your recent trip, and glad you were able to get it fixed while you were here. Thank you for your nice comments, we really appreciate the recognition. I hope your next trip to Duluth with be less stressful, and that you will allow us to serve you again here.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel because I was attending events at the waterfront (Incline Bowling, Vista Fleet) and wanted to be able to walk there without paying the waterfront hotel prices.
This hotel provided what I was looking for, no more, no less. The room was very small, but the bed was comfortable and the coffee maker worked. Continental breakfast was just fine. I didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyway. Walking to the waterfront was quick (less than 15 minutes) when taking the skywalks across the highway. Beautiful area and safe hotel. Thanks BW.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank freezing1
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2011

I'm so glad you liked your stay here, thank you for writing and sharing your comments. Duluth does have a lot to offer, and you are right, we are a good choice for people who want to spend a lot of time in and around town, as opposed to in a hotel room. Please let us know when you will be back so we can thank you in person.

Reviewed 16 December 2011

the room felt cramped, it was however clean. at first sight i thought - what sis i just drive into,, but it was clean and the staff was great

Room Tip: I didn't use the "business center" in the lobby but it sure was busy. The exterior did...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ldnj2
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2011

Thanks for not letting your first impression be your last, and for taking the time to share your experience here. I'm glad you were happy with your choice and hope you will choose us again the next time you are looking for a great location and value in Duluth.