“Friendliest staff I've ever encountered”

The Downtown Duluth Inn
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Chicago, Illinois
“Friendliest staff I've ever encountered”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I stayed at the Best Western on a whim passing through town. I hadn't planned on staying in Duluth, so I was thrilled when I found how affordable the Best Western was (I've stayed a couple blocks away before and paid almost twice as much).

The property had a certain charm to it--its not flashy, and there isn't a pool..but it felt like visiting a grandparents house. I felt safe and welcome.

The staff remembered my name, and every time I saw them they sparked up a conversation with me. The breakfast had a huge variety of items to choose from, too.

I would definitely stay here again, especially with the prices they offer.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank arcochad
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, 28 July 2011
Thanks for giving us a chance and for writing your review. I’m so glad you enjoyed your time here and will share your comments with the rest of our team. We look forward to serving you again the next time you are here, or just passing through.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 July 2011

This hotel is nothing special but it has new beds, bedding, and carpet (which was just laid on top of the old stuff). The bathrooms were not renovated but they were fine. Breakfast was cold cereal, toast, donuts, and french toast and sausage. You can easily walk anywhere touristy - Fitger's, Canal Park, etc. The rate was high in our opinion (it was the Maritime festival weekend) but everything else was even more expensive!

Room Tip: Don't get a room next to a stairway or the ice maker
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laewagne
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Thank you for your review. Duluth has become a popular place, especially in the summer, and even more so during major events, like the Maritime Festival. We’re glad you were able to stay so close to the action, and hope you will consider being a guest here again, the next time you are in town.
Minnesota
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Is easy to find. Close to canal park. Good free breakfast. All in all a good deal. I have stayed here several times. Just don't stay in a room next to the ice machine.(It was really loud)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
Thanks for writing & posting your review – making & keeping loyal guests like you happy is very important to us. We hope to replace that ice machine with a quieter one by the end of the year – hopefully it will be installed when you visit us again.
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2011

This was a discounted winter trip and well worth the money. The room was very clean, heater a little noisy but cancelled out any street noise. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. Needs additional ice machine in the opposite corner of the complex.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, 5 March 2011
Thank you for sharing your comments about our hotel. We are glad you found the service and accommodations to be a good value and we are planning on adding another ice machine to the property this summer. Please let us know when you will be back so we can thank you in person.
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 March 2011

When i drove into the parking lot I had a bad feeling,when i entered my room I noticed the bad smell. The wall paper was peeling the carpet was stained but the most disgusting thing was the ANIMAL HAIR ON THE BEDSPREAD. The heater had more dust in it and on it than I would think possible. I have stayed in some dive hotels but expected a bit more from Best Western. I did not stay the night, I told the clerk on duty that there was animal hair all over the bedspread and that I would not be staying. She did not seem surprised. I would rather sleep in my car than catch a disease from this scummy dive.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. We are very sorry that you found the accommodations and service not up to our usual high standards. We will use your experience in discussion and training as we strive to provide excellent service and accommodations to every guest. We are in the process of upgrading many of our rooms, and hope that you will stop in so we can show you the improvements.

Travellers are raving about these Duluth hotels