“Wonderful, cozy stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn on Gitche Gumee

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Inn on Gitche Gumee
Ranked #7 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
minnesota
“Wonderful, cozy stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

My daughter and I stayed in the Wolves Den the weekend of September 9-11 while playing in a hockey tournament in Duluth. We absolutely loved it - I only wish we had more time to explore the beautiful landscaping on the property, but with the rigorous hockey game schedule we were mainly there to sleep. The room had a table with 4 chairs, a small stove/oven, fridge, coffee maker, kitchen sink, dishes, pots/pans, some counterspace for food prep, TV with Satellite, DVD player, fireplace, large bathroom vanity separate from the tub and toilet. The room was clean with new tile and newer carpet. There is a good sized closet tucked behind the fireplace that provided more than enough room for hanging clothes.

Butch and Julie are wonderful hosts and so friendly! Sunday morning I enjoyed my breakfast of a mexican omelet, pancake and watermelon. The sunrise was absolutely stunning! I will never tire of the view of the lake. The only con was the bed and the traffic. It seemed smaller than a queen and it wasn't terribly comfortable and I was thankful we did not need to use the futon as a bed, it was quite hard and could stand to be replaced. The traffic on the north shore scenic route is right in front of the hotel, but it was heaviest during the day and could easily be drowned out by shutting the windows facing the roadway, and we were gone during the day anyway. That being said, I will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Shenanigans21
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

I really WANTED to be charmed by this place--after all, it's got the hand-stitched quilts and actual birch tree bedframe. Really "northwoods", right? And I could forgive the slow-draining tub, the stained carpet and the lack of any functional place to hang my clothes (certainly not in the closet with an oversized birch tree limb as the single dowel--no hangers provided). But it was disappointing to find out that the "lakeview" was actually a view ACROSS a rather busy boulvard which was NOT made clear in the literature or on website--and there was a slightly "off" smell as you entered the room. The truth is, much of what I didn't like were things that, with a little more care, could have been resolved. For example, repair of the window that won't crank open (to allow a cross-breeze), repair/replacement of the dresser drawer that wouldn't open or shut, and an occasional sweep of the steps to get rid of those scary spider webs! I asked that the broken porch light bulb be replaced and mentioned that the security light on the stairway was out, knowing that I would be returning to my room after dark two days hence. The light bulb was replaced (after a second request). Unfortunately, no effort was made to repair the security light so I had to make my way up the open staircase in the dark (tricky). It sort of feels like this was a fun venture for the owners 25 years ago, but now is just a job that has gotten old.

Room Tip: Upper level room on the end was quiet (when there weren't kids playing on the playground just ou...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Saphhirefan
La Crosse, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I'll just quickly breakdown the pros/cons of our stay:

Pros: nice view, kitchen/dining area, nice touches like fresh flowers on the table, breakfast made by the owner, queen bed and queen sleeper sofa, away from the downtown hustle, quiet

Cons: bed was uncomfortable, toilet always needed to be flushed twice, faucet leaked, other finishing touches like trim needed to be completed, traffic noise from Hwy 61 during the daytime.

Overall it was a good stay. I wouldn't suggest staying here if you are looking for the traditional hotel experience, it was more like staying in someone's home. We like it and would consider staying again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank nursetraveler87
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

We had a great weekend at the Inn on Gitchee Gumee. It has all of the comforts of home including oven/stove, small fridge and ample play area out front (including swings and a cute climbing structure for the kids). The view was amazing -- right on the lake front. The people who own the place were extremely accomodating including making a delicious breakfast for us with pancakes personalized with my son's name.

If you want something glitzy this is not the place for you. If you want comfort, quiet and something more homey, this is just the place for you.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank barlando
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We spent part of our Honeymoon with Butch and Julie. They are wonderful hosts; very friendly and acommodating. We enjoyed Duluth and the nearby restaurants. If you are lucky, you will get Butch's famous breakfast served to your room. The first time we stayed we had the Wolves Den on the second floor, very comfy and cozy. The second time, we were in the Hideout on the first floor. Great hot tub! The grounds are loaded with flowers and there is hot coffee served outside every morning. You can watch the Lake Superior from your windows! Pass up the regular hotel and give yourself a real treat.

Room Tip: Rooms are very clean and well maintained. Love the themed rooms. Butch makes many of the items in t...
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duluth
15.5 km away
14.1 km away
Fitger's Inn
Fitger's Inn
#13 of 32 in Duluth

Been to Inn on Gitche Gumee? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK