“Views Are Great”

The Inn On Lake Superior
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 January 2012

A view of Lake Superior is a plus at this location. Not impressed with amenities or service, better elsewhere. Many shops and so-so restaurants in walking distance.

Room Tip: Get a Lake view
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2012

I see that we missed the mark in more than one area with you, and would like to know more, should you care to elaborate. Thank you for sharing your experience, and please accept my apologies. We want all our guests to be happy with their decision to stay with us, and hope you will give us another change on a future visit.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

The location of this hotel makes it the best place to stay in Duluth. You are in the middle of the shops and nightlife. The view from your balcony is the best in town. You are also close enough to the shipping canal to run out and catch the ore boats going past into the harbor. To make your stay perfect, they allow pets. The staff is friendly, and the rooms are in "almost new" shape. The beds are the fabulous. Overall you can't go wrong!

Room Tip: Make sure and ask for a lakeside room, not one overlooking the parking lot!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Thanks so much for taking the time to write and share your comments. I'm glad you and you family were happy here and look forward to serving you here the next time you stay with us.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

I've stayed at the Inn on Lake Superior before, but will stay somewhere else the next time I'm in Duluth. I was given a room next to the pool at check-in, but asked to move once the parties began; the staff promptly moved us across the hall to a lake-view room on the first floor. This was much better, except for the running kids in the hallway and very loud adult patrons. If I do return, I will definitely ask to be as far from the pool as possible! They have a nice big hot tub, but the water wasn't that hot and kids would jump in. The sauna worked great. There was quite a bit of pretty rowdy horseplay in the pool. I think they should post some pool area rules and enforce them. It was not even close to a relaxing environment.

The room itself was OK, but not great. The HVAC was a bit noisy and the floor was very cold. The wind whistled by the door that led to the outside. It did have a microwave and fridge. It had a walk-in shower, but no tub (fine with me). They have great receptacles for recycling almost everything, including food waste, which I heartily applaud!

The smors on the patio were fun, even in December. Breakfast is pretty good for a hotel buffet--better than average selection and better than average coffee (which is available throughout the day). The hotel is close to a number of good restaurants in Canal Park. The gorgeous Duluth Lakewalk is right outside the back door, so the area is great nearly any time of year.

The area is great, and the hotel service was very good (in most ways). At the end of the day, I like to be able to relax and get a good night's sleep, but that didn't occur this time for me. The Inn has lost some of its appeal for me.

Room Tip: If you want anything remotely close to quiet, ask for a room far away from the pool and not on the f...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MinnTex

I am terribly sorry that we disappointed you here during your last visit, and appreciate the time and sentiment you put in to posting your comments. I will certainly share your review with the rest of the team so we can continue to improve our service. You are right that rooms away from the pool are generally quieter and provide a more relaxing environment, and we will do everything possible to fulfil your request, the next time you make a reservation here. I really hope you will give us another chance to earn back your loyalty, and ask that you contact me directly at kenjacobs@zmchotels.com if you would like to discuss this further.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

I am commenting on a recent stay at the Inn on Lake Superior. Very...disappointed in this hotel, especially after reading mostly positive reviews. We booked the largest family suite (no pet zone) with a lake view. Great location with easy walking access to Canal Park shops, restaurants the boardwalk and the lake. My wife and I are native to Duluth and frequented Canal Park in high school when it mostly consisted of warehouses. We have stayed at many Duluth hotels on visits back home.

The good stuff. Friendly staff (even when they tried to de-stink the room), breakfast was good, and location was nice.

The bad. The room smelled like wet dog (all 5 of us agreed). Everyone knows that smell. The bedspreads had stains as did did some of the furniture. The bathroom (and room) was very dated and needed a major makeover. A view of mighty Lake Superior, yes, but via undersized windows. Online reservation system is archaic and required a call to the hotel to confirm. This is unfortunately a two star hotel with five star prices.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Maybe South Pier Inn or Fitgers.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank J H
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2012

I am very sorry you were so disappointed in your recent stay here, and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further and hopefully make things right for you. Please let me know (via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com) if we may contact you privately. I apologize for the odor you encountered in your room, and will review our procedures with the housekeeping team to make sure this doesn't happen again. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you on a future visit to Duluth.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Location of the hotel is great for a nice getaway. Shops are very close for shopping. Always a beautiful few of city ad lake superior. Always enjoy going to canal park.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Aaronxx
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

Canal Park is one of the many reasons why Duluth is such a special and wonderful place, thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting your comments. We look forward to serving you again the next time you come to enjoy our town.