“poor”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2018

We came as a family for mothers day and the place was packed, it gave us the impression that it was popular but as the time went on we noticed the owners sat at the bar for the whole of our visit while the poor staff were run ragged, the owners didn`t once offer to help even when there was a queue at the bar , they were too interested in topping up their own drinks. my grandson went into the gents toilets and came out saying how smelly and dirty they were. i also went into the ladies and noticed a leek at the back of the toilet that i nearly slipped up on. when i informed the landlady she just said ( i know its been like it for weeks ) and then she told the busy waitress to go and mop it up !! ( WHY HASNT THIS BEEN FIXED ) the whole place was grubby and in need of a good clean , come on owners get your act together , this could be a little gold mine if it was in the hands of some one that cared, on a good note the staff were friendly and the food was tasty and hot !

2  Thank kathware
56maureen, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Hi
This review is absolute fiction
For a start I was in the kitchen at 8am that morning cooking the lovely food you enjoyed. I certainly didn't have time to prop up the bar as we were so busy other than to talk to my 3 sons for the odd five minutes because as you say it was mothers day!!! You certainly didn't speak to me the landlady about the toilets I can only think it was a member of one of our run ragged staff!!!ialso have noted you have taken 3months to finally write your review (funny that i would have thought you would have written it straight away)
On a positive note I'm so glad you enjoyed my home cooked food

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Excellent food, great atmosphere and friendly staff.
Had a wonderful meal, would highly recommend trying Sally's seafood chowder

3  Thank Julie G
Reviewed 26 June 2018

Been to the pub a few times now, went most recently for fathers day, as usually the food was great and my father had a lovely time.

2  Thank TheCarl84
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Came here as a group of 8 on. Family get together.

I thought the food was really good. Service was friendly and relaxed. Left us in peace and were very accommodating. They are dog friendly as well, one of surprisingly few in the pompey area so good luck to them.

The food was all individually prepared but all came our together and hot. This is often not the case with larger groups. I ordered a veggie curry and it was really tasty. All the plates went back empty and the deserts that were tried were good as well.

We messed up the original booking date but they sorted that out as well. All sorted with good humour.

The place has a nice relaxed vibe and I think southwick is a beautiful little village worth a little stroll around. An interesting outside area as well I noticed with a 300 years old tree.

Price reasonable considering the number of people and courses ordered.

We should all be supporting places like so they are around to enjoy in the future.

Thanks again I will be back.

1  Thank Pompeyglory
56maureen, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review us I am so glad you enjoyed the food and service and look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 23 June 2018

The menu was limited they had run out of some of the choices. the foliage hanging down from the ceiling. was a mess. The pub needs a refurb. The staff were friendly. This pub has gone down hill.

1  Thank 349sal

The menu is not limited and is always available. Sorry you didn't like the decor and yes it does need a refurb