All reviews free buffet prime rib breakfast buffet slot machines nice room players card sitting area stayed one night beds were very comfortable king bed players club twin cities gambling duluth payouts concert tile
Reviewed 25 August 2017

My husband and I stayed at Black Bear Casino for our Anniversary. I made a comment when reserving the room online that it was our Anniversary. Upon check-in we were stared at by the receptionist as if she was waiting for us to speak first. Not the exact greeting I expect when coming to stay at a hotel. Secondly, we were placed in the old part of the hotel, which is fine (as I have nothing to compare it to, never having stayed in the new tower).
The room is OK, King bed was quite hard and we both woke up sore the next morning. No vending machines on our floor was a bit of a hassle to try and get something to drink late at night or early morning. The walls are paper thin and you an hear everything and people's conversations in the hallways.
I'm not rushing back to stay here anytime soon.

Room Tip: You get what you get, so don't bother asking unless you spend a lot of $$ at the casino and have points on your card.
2  Thank Jenn B
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

We spent one night at Black Bear Casino Resort while on a road trip. The property is located about a 30 minute drive from Duluth. The hotel and rooms show a great of wear and tear and maintenance standards appear to be somewhat lax. The staff was all professional and our dinner in the steak house restaurant was well prepared and tasty.

This was our first stay at Black Bear and it will be our only visit. Two main issues led to that decision: when we checked in, I was informed by a security person in the lobby that I could not bring a 12-pack of beer into our room. I realize that I could have hidden the beer in our luggage. Instead I took the beer back to our car. As a 68 year old adult, I refuse to hide beer like a 16 year old kid when all I intended to do was take it to the room the my wife and I rented. Our second issue with Black Bear is the poor ventilation throughout the hotel. Smokers definitely rule the place. The hotel, common areas and entrances stink of cigarette smoke. No guest or hotel employee should have to jeopardize their personal health by being forced to breathe dirty air.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allan H
Reviewed 25 August 2017

This has to be the worst stay in 40 years. the first room was so dirty that it literally stunk! I called the front desk and the lady was sorry and offered another room so we accepted it. When we got into the second room the carpet had been cleaned and didn't have any chunky on it and it did smell better. Things looked better until one of use tried to use the hand sink, the drain didn't work and the drain in the shower didn't work. I literally can not believe anyone can run a business and stay in business treating people like they do! now that I have that off my chest lets talk about the food at the Buffett most of which was Luke warm not hot, and not very tasty either. Then we tried our luck on the slots, this things are so tight they squeak. My advice keep as far away from this place as possible! What a way to ruin a short vacation with your sweetheart!

Room Tip: Keep driving --- plrease
2  Thank gas1940
Reviewed 17 August 2017

black bear casino large casino with plenty of parking about 2000 slot machines of the ones i tried they were very very tight when you put a $10.00 bill in a penny machine and the best pay off was 20 cents thats bad, overall casino was very dirty and staff was not freindly at all,had bingo but again staff not very happy ,no rv park but you stay in back parking lot , theres a golf corse for those that like hit a baall and chase it .overall this casino needs help

3  Thank Suzanne O
Reviewed 16 August 2017

OK, the Really Good :

We recently stayed at this hotel / resort for one night in early August. It was very reasonably priced – a great value for your stay.

It is located approx. 20 miles south of Duluth, MN – a good location, just off Highway 35, with no concerns about walking around, day or night. The resort has a beautiful golf course also – I highly recommend trying it. The resort has a “no alcohol” on the premises policy – that’s either good, or bad, based on your lifestyle.

The dinner and breakfast buffets are EXCELLENT, and quite inexpensive – bring your appetite, you’ll eat well !! The staff / servers in the restaurant were always very polite, helpful and attentive.

The Good :

We had a “smoking” room on the first floor, in what they referred to as the old / original section of the resort. The suite was large enough, but not much of a view (the parking lot) - but, you’re there to stare out a window – so, not an issue. The room had a sitting area, a king size bed, a medium sized bathroom, a mini fridge, etc … and everything worked fine, we had no issues. Overall, the room was quite clean, quiet and comfortable. The front lobby and cleaning staff were very good, and always very friendly.

The Somewhat Bad :

The Wifi worked about “average” when we were there. Of note, there is NO business centre / on site computers you can use. There is absolutely no shortage of slot machines, but not one computer on site to use – I guess it shows what the resort really caters to ?? I don't think they have a fitness centre (which you will need after the buffets, lol) - and the pool area needs upgrading, which brings me to ….

The Ugly (sorry) :

The Pool and Hot tub area – this was closed, due that a young girl fell quite sick from swimming in the pool (per the front desk). I checked it anyways, the water was a “murky green” colour - and to be honest, I would have NEVER swam in it anyways, in that condition. At least the sauna was open, which was very good – but, I had to get water from the drinking water fountain ??

The next morning, the pool area was re-opened – the front desk advised me the pool was drained and sanitised. I found this somewhat offensive – as the pool was still “green” and there were people swimming in it. Spend some money on chlorinating your pools, and hot tubs. And while you’re at it - the general lighting in the pool area needs improvement also.

Lastly, I would rate the resort as “good” – it needs some minor improvements – but Yes, I’d most likely come back here again – enjoy your stay.

2  Thank SnowDodger