All reviewsfree buffetprime ribbreakfast buffetslot machinesnice roomplayers cardsitting areastayed one nightbeds were very comfortableking bedplayers clubtwin citiesgamblingduluthpayoutsconcerttile
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We wanted a nice getaway and we found it. The Hotel entrance was not marked on the building at all, but it wasn't hard to figure out either. Upon check-in there was a line of people but it moved fairly quick. The check-in clerk was very nice and explained everything we needed to know. We even got coupons for dollars off on food and $5 in cash for becoming a players card member. When I made the reservation, they only had smoking rooms left. I booked two rooms hoping the smell would be okay. I was thrilled that both rooms were very nice and the smell wasn't bad at all. It was a lot better than the casino floor, and after just a few minutes we didn't really smell it at all. We were not spending much time in the room except to sleep anyway. We were in the tower on the 5th floor. We ate at the buffet for dinner and breakfast. No complaints here. If you didn't get full it was your problem. No brosted chicken on the dinner buffet but the prime rib was great! When ever I had a question the staff everywhere at this casino was nice and friendy like they really wanted to help you. I've been to Vegas a lot over the years and I told my wife while riding in the elevator, that this place reminds me a little bit like being in Vegas. It was really fun. We gambled all evening long (5 hours) and I only lost $25 and My wife just $21. Not bad for a great evening of fun. The casino even had a promotion going on that night where anyone on the casino floor could win $250 to $1500 all night long. We saw a lot of winners and even two people won $1500 each. This made our night very exciting with anticipation even if we didn't win it was still fun. We would go back again and stay in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank 106Sparky110
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Excellent accommodations for very low price. Nice restaurants, good food.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank RuthieAlexandriaMN
Reviewed 28 September 2011

This Casino was about 20 minutes from Duluth, MN so we rented the room and spent most of our days seeing tourist attactions in Duluth and up the North Shore. We spent the nights gambling and the mornings playing in the pool / hot tub. The room had 2 big beds and a big TV in 1 section and then a pull out couch and a TV in another section. Typical cramped hotel room style but a pretty good layout. Perfect for a family. Very cheap prices for the room/suite poolside. The staff was excellent. The Casino had many different games to play. They also had a game room for the kids. All in all, a good, cheap stay!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are great. 2nd floor is less noisy and still very accessable.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MJSPRING
Reviewed 13 September 2011

The hotel has a newer tower with above average rooms that are very close to the casino but are a long way from the pool and a parking garage that is about a 10 minute walk through the casino and past the convention center.There is a below average buffet that has a smoking area next to the food area.The steak house is over priced and there is a very small deli next to the bingo that is also very smokey, with a limited menu, reasonably priced with decent sandwiches,bugers and pizza.The casino has a large assortment of slot machines,a black jack area and a small poker area.There is a decent golf course that is overpriced compared to many other great courses available in northern Minnesota.

Room Tip: if you intend to use the pool or have childen I recomend staying in the orginal hotel it has easy access to the pool.If you stay in the newer tower you have to walk through the lobby past the main entrance down a long hall through another lobby to get to the pool and hot tub. i
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Black Bear is about 2-1/2 hours north onof Minneapolis/St. Paul I-35W so it was relatively easy to get to. It's only 10 or 15 minutes from Duluth, MN. The hotel is a typical casino hotel, but there are two sections to this hotel. The older section is just okay, but is dated. The newer tower section is much more up to date. If you don't book early enough you will end up in a smoking room which is what happened to my family. They have a decent buffet restaurant that wasn't too expensive. Good selection. They also have a little deli type retaurant for less expensive quick meals. The machines are no tighter or looser than any other casino, but they had a nice selection of machines. They could improve the interior to make it a more attractive. I felt a little like I was in a giant warehouse with the machine filling it. To their benefit, the smoke in the casino seems to be well ventilated so I didn't get engulfed by smoke unless I sat next to a smoker.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for the newer tower room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family