All reviewsfree buffetprime ribbreakfast buffetslot machinesnice roomplayers cardsitting areastayed one nightbeds were very comfortableking bedplayers clubtwin citiesgamblingduluthpayoutsconcerttile
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I've stayed here several times as I travel through the area often. Too bad some people/reviewers who are clearly told at check in, that no alcohol is to be brought into the rooms do otherwise. Those people seem to think they are the exception, get caught and then complain here they were treated unfairly. I like to drink as much as anyone and the rule is a bit stiff, but it's a rule they have a right to enforce because THEY OWN THE PLACE and they don't want drunken slobs tearing the place up. If you want to drink in your room, stay across the road at the other motel which leaves me to wonder why the previous reviewer slept in the ditch. Plenty of places in Black Bear to consume alcohol and have fun.

Now, my review...
Rooms are spacious and clean and quite comfortable, especially for the price. Tower rooms are the better ones. Halls are wide, rooms quiet. The buffet is OK but I like the formal restaurant better. The deli is cheap but has a lot to be desired and that's why it's by the bingo hall. Bars have always been open when I've been there. Security is quite visible and that's fine with me. Casino is clean and spacious. If you are staying there, the coupon they give you at check in to take to the players club is definitely worth your while (and I'm no coupon cutter). Join the players club and they send you very good discounts for your room. I send people here and will continue to do so. A very good place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Johhhhn
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I booked a night at the Black Bear Casino Hotel (New Tower) to celebrate valentines day, and just to get away for a day. We booked the valentines day offer. The offer included a $75.00 tower room, $25.00 off at the "Seven Fires Steakhouse" 2 free breakfast buffet the morning of check out. We also signed up for the players club card and recieved $5.00 cash each, a coupon for $1.00 off at their new coffee shop, and $2.00 off each for any buffet. ince we already were getting a free buffet each, we gave those away.

When we confirmed our February 13th check in by phone that same morning, I was told that their Saturday night had been sold out, therefore we probably could not check in before 3:00 P.M. Upon arrival we used the free valet parking and checked our bag. We went to the players club booth to sign up for our players cards, since you have to have a card in order to get the $75.00 special price. Once we did that, we decided to try to check in, even though it was only 11:00 A.M. No problem! A room was ready for us on the 9th floor (#9026) and it wa just a short walk from the elevator.

The tower is less than three years old, so there was actually very little signss of any wear. The bathroom wa average, but nicer than the standard batchroom found at most budget hotels. There was a nice modern tile on the wall behind the sink and marble counter. Other than that, it wa typical.

The room wa large. We had a king bed, 32 inch flat screen (Wall mounted) and a reclining chair. There wa a large open area that could have used a table ot another chair. The decor is average, but nice. Shower presure was good but we had to turn the water temperature all the way to hot in order to get warm enough water to take our showers (8:30 A.M.). The room guide tated that on-line check out wa available. When I tried it, it did not work and stated "unavailable", so we did have to check out at the front desk, but that was very fast, as the elevator lets you off right there.

Our dinner at the steakhouse was one of the best meals we have ever had. 6 oz. filet mignon and 6 oz. lobster tail for $39.00 (Plus $4.00 for the potato and $3.00 for the salad). We ordered the steaks medium and they were perfect! The lobster was alwesome! Service wa fast and friendly.

The breakfast buffet was the worse I have ever had. Fatty bacon, fatty sausage, over done eggs, ham soaked in water, runny thin gravy, hard biscuits and muffins (Baseball hard)..ICK! The only thing that was good was the fruit and french toast.

Had nachos at the little deli. They were good.

Drink prices were average. $4.00 for mixed drinks and $3.00 for domestic bottles of beer.

We did pretty well in the casino. BEWARE, IT GETS VERY SMOKY. Came home with about half of what we had budgeted to spend. We tend to gamble a few hours when we are at casino's. By the end of the trip, we had earned $15.00 in cash back from our players card and $15.00 in comps, which my wife used in the gift shop for some earrings.

In general, the experience wa great. Valet parking, fast check in (Don't expect any smiles), clean spacious room (New tower), great starbucks coffee shop with ice cream, free wi-fi,

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

1. Dumb rule about no alcohol in the room
2. People smoking everywhere - odd you can do this, but not drink

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We checked in to our non-smoking room that smelled like it had been smoked in. The room was very dirty and old looking. the TV remotes had crud between the buttons and we were afraid to walk barefoot.

The pool absolutely smelled. I would not be surprised if the pool had not been tested for a while. The night before we swam the pool and hottubs were full of people.

My warning to anyone who likes to have a semi-clean experience. It should have been $30 per night since it had the quality of a rundown motel.

No internet in the rooms!!! Not even a wireless system.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank craigjackson
coreyvanguilder, Manager at Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2011

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. We are very sorry that you found the accommodations and service not up to our usual high standards. We will use your experience in discussion and training as we strive to provide excellent service and accommodations to every guest.

Reviewed 8 October 2010

After reading the reviews here, I'm not certain I stayed at the same "Blackbear" as everyone else reviewing here. (Just to be sure, I'm writing about the hotel/casino located on I-35, exit 235)

From checkin to checkout, this place was unpleasant in every possible way. Poor food, terrible atmosphere, and above all else...Unfriendly staff. Just about every encounter we had with staff left us with our jaws dropped. On our checkout day, we were running a little bit behind because my wife woke up with a high fever. I called the desk to request a late checkout and the stern voice on the other end quipped back with "I need you out in 15 minutes". Not the type of talk I would expect from a hotel casino. I felt like I had just called Guido asking for an extension on my loan.This was just one example of many bad encounters.

Fortunately, I won quite a bit of money at the tables, so I guess I feel better in knowing I didn't technically pay for staying at this horrendous place. Granted, it was inexpensive, but I'm the type that would be willing to pay a little bit more to feel welcomed and catered to. If you are looking for cheap, stay at the AmericInn on the other side of exit. At least you'll know what you're getting there.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple