“Good food, great service, a fun place to celebrate”

Shogun Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #21 of 132 Restaurants in Burnsville
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 February 2017

Went to Shogun last weekend and it was great. 2 Adults, 2 kids and the bill was less than $100- including 2 adult beverages. We enjoyed the hibachi grill and the chef was excellent. You may want to decline some of the rice because it is such a large serving and you need to make room for the main entree. There were 3 birthdays while we were there and the kids loved seeing the big masks and cakes. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed 25 January 2017

We enjoyed a birthday party for our adult son at the hibachi side of Shogun. They have dinner seating and hibachi seating at the restaurant. Our group of 8 easily fit around the cooking area. Each in our party had their meal cooked to order in front of us, varying from lobster to chicken to shrimp to beef. It was done to perfection, with humor and joking between the family members and the chef. The atmosphere of thw whole evening was fun.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

All of the food was fresh and delicious. Service was very fast. Not a good place to go if you are super hungry though because it can get expensive in a hurry.

Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

my favorite place great food for amazing price and friendly service always tell my friends and family about this place and even their take out is great

Reviewed 28 June 2016

The place is nicely decorated, if a bit dark. I do have diminished eyesight, but I'm not completely blind. I had a hard time seeing where I was putting my feet entering the reception area. I also had to use my phone's flashlight feature to read the menu. The waitress was rather slow and inattentive. I had to ask three times for regular soy sauce as there was only low sodium at the table and twice for chopsticks (they actually had forks set at the table). There are a few items I look for when I go to eat sushi; uni (sea urchin roe), amaebi (sweet or raw shrimp) and salmon skin roll. They had all three on the menu (SCORE!), but I had the waitress check on the uni and amaebi since those are the two that some restaurants will have on the menu, but never seem to have in stock. The answer for the uni was no, but they did have the shrimp. OK not too bad, and uni is getting harder to find all the time.

They also had oysters on the half shell on the menu, great another of my favorites. They were a bit on the expensive side, so I asked where they were from. I was informed that they were from either Washington or Oregon, I don't remember which, so I ordered two since they were expensive. When the oysters come out they look like Gulf coast oysters which, for the price of these two, I could easily get a half dozen in most restaurants. The oysters were served at near room temp and didn't seem to be too fresh. The condiment they were served with was very tasty.

When my sushi/sashimi was served,I was notified that they were out of salmon skin. OOPS, now I am not very pleased. However trying the fish, mostly sashimi style, I was quite surprised. The servings were large and fresh. They came from very good cuts of fish and were very tasty. The octopus was cooked very well and quite tasty, though I am used to getting slices off larger tentacles I didn't mind several small tentacles instead. Perhaps that is how the do the octopus as sashimi there. (At least I got octopus instead of squid like I got in Houston Texas).

I spoke with the manager after we paid and expressed my concerns and gave her my appreciation of the fresh fish. I was offered a discount card on a future visit, but refused to take it since I ate everything that was on the tab.

I will probably return in hopes of things being a little better. it does seem to be the best fish in my area.

Below it asks about price. That is going to depend on how you order. If you order Japanese meals and a few pieces of sushi it's mid range, but if you are making a meal of sushi it can get rather pricey, but within range of other similar restaurants in theTwin Cities.