“Good honest food”

Cuisines: American, Polish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 September 2015

I have friends who live down-river Detroit; Polonus is a treat for me so if it works for them we'll frequently go there for dinner. This visit, their specials board had Roasted Duck and I never bothered to look at the menu after I saw that. I ordered a cabbage soup to start, then the duck with half sauerkraut half red cabbage. The duck was delicious. Meaty and tender and just right. My friend ordered the spare ribs with the same kraut - cabbage choice. Both of us cleaned our plates! I usually don't have dessert, but they listed a pineapple cream cake and it tempted me. It was good too.

In my many visits to Polonus over the years, I've never been disappointed.

Reviewed 1 September 2015

Waitress was friendly and polite. Food came fast must have been made early in day. City chicken and cutlet were just plain bland. Would not go back. Only good thing was waitress

Reviewed 3 June 2015

Lots of authentic Polish dishes that are delicious! Loved the golumpki and the kluski. Generous portions and reasonably priced. Lively waitress and Polish decor. For us it is a 45-50 minute drive to get there but the food is the reward.

Reviewed 5 April 2015

If you manage your expectations when you go to Polonus, you won't be disappointed. It's got some particular highlights, and the overall impression of the food is that it is slightly better than average, but you should know when you walk in that it is not going to be one of your finer dining experiences. I went on a Friday, which offered the fried perch dinner with a host of side options. The perch was utterly delicious, fried carefully and perfectly. I opted for the cucumbers (served in a sour cream and dill concoction) instead of a salad or soup, and it was also delicious. The beets and the dumplings in gravy were less impressive. An excellent value, I must say. Staff seems marginally interested in providing service, but they seem friendly in spite of their professional limitations. It's a quirky place with not-so-much ambience, but there's something sort of charming about it nonetheless. I'd go back - even if it was just to have the perch again!

Reviewed 12 March 2015

I ate very well at Polonus. Enjoyed a filling meal of perogies, pork cutlet, meatballs, and kluski that were all delicious. The portions were so generous I was unable to finish the perogies and kluski. If I were in the area again I would definitely stop by again.