All reviews polar bear northern lights tundra buggy once in a lifetime bucket list aurora borealis other guests on foot arctic foxes their natural habitat worth every cent wilson lodge clear night amazing experience large male watch bears hot beverages
Reviewed 3 November 2017

I'm always wary of the great photos in travel brochures........but not with Churchill Wild and Dymond Lake. The bears are there.......up close.......behaving like bears. We loved it. The service, food, guides, comfort and safety all top notch. Thanks you all for a memorable experience.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2017

The lodges are cozy, very clean, and rustic. They are comfortable, but certainly not luxurious. The food is terrific (great chefs) with many choices, quantity, and accommodations for food allergies. Pam always remembered each guest's needs, likes, and dislikes when she served. She is a gem!
The bears are the star attraction. One large male came up to the compound fence, rolled on his back with huge feet in the air, and was so beautiful - like a giant puppy, but very dangerous. The guides are well-prepared experts and we always felt safe when taking walks outside the compound. It was great to watch bears sparring with each other in their natural habitat. We learned so much about these magnificent bears from our guides: Terry, Steve, and Kevin.
We also enjoyed taking pictures of the aurora borealis one night and the guides were helpful with camera settings.
Churchill Wild takes wonderful care of guests from start to finish of the trip. We had great tours, lodging, food, and a tundra buggy ride in Churchill, as well. If you are lodged at the Grand Hotel by the airport in Winnipeg, be sure to ask for a room on the quiet side away from the airport runways. A sleepless night at the Grand was the only flaw in our trip. Churchill Wild management and staff really have it right. I recommend this adventure trip 100% as a "must-do" on your bucket list.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JP_9_2012
Reviewed 29 October 2017

I have been wanting to see polar bears in the wild for quite a long time, and when it came time to actually do it, I knew I had to go with Churchill Wild, as they are the only operator in the area that takes you to see the polar bears, where they are, on foot (instead of in a Tundra Buggy exclusively).

Churchill Wild knows and loves this land and these animals, and it shows. Thought and care and warmth come through in every detail. The trip is impeccably organized, and we were well cared for throughout -- from logistics (flights, hotels, transfers) to the genuine warmth and knowledge of the staff to the hot beverages after every walk.

The lodge at Dymond Lake is beautiful -- two lovely guest lodges with a dining lodge in between, fenced in for when the bears walk right up to the buildings (which they do!). All meals are included (and include dessert at both lunch and dinner!), that are generous and tasty. They also made dietary accommodations for multiple folks in our group (max 16 people, which also keeps it very intimate and comfortable). The staff keep the fires going in all buildings, so you always come in from the cold to a warm and inviting place.

We had three experienced guides (Terry, Steve, and Kevin) leading us on our walks, with plenty of information and stories and experiences to share about all the wildlife -- from polar bears to ptarmagin to wolves and lemmings.

We saw at least three different polar bears multiple times during our stay at the lake, many times very up close and personal, including some sparring by two males.

We also had one clear night that gave us the chance to check out the Aurora Borealis (bring a good camera that can do a 15 second shot if you want to capture it) -- the guides woke us when it started so we wouldn't miss out.

Our trip also included a Tundra Buggy tour, which was great (Kevin was fantastic), and an overnight in Churchill at the Polar Inn (very comfortable), and we were able to visit the Canada Parks Interpretive Center as well as the Eskimo Museum in town. Meals at the Tundra Inn were delicious and generous (recommend the vegetable curry).

I don't often take organized trips, but this one was outstanding in every way. Cannot recommend more highly. If you have one opportunity to get up to the arctic to see polar bears, go with Churchill Wild.

Room Tip: The Wilson Lodge is lovely! with a viewing tower and outdoor platform.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2017

I really don't have enough good things to say about this trip.

We travelled to Dymond Lake Lodge on the Churchill Wild Great Ice Bear Adventure and had the time of our lives. After our short flight from Churchill to the lodge, we saw our first polar bears before we even walked into the lodge.

The lodging is nice - especially considering how far from civilization it really is. Each night there's a presentation about the lodge or the wildlife, and one of them details just how hard it is to get supplies or do any work at the lodges.

There are three main buildings: the main building where meals are served, and then two buildings with accommodations - each also has a common area. One of the buildings is up against the lake, the other is further from the lake but has an elevated viewing platform. From the moment we got there until we left, there was always at least one bear visible from the Lodge.

Each morning and afternoon we would go for a walk to see the bears - and there are no words to describe what an amazing experience it is. We saw around 15 individual bears over our 4 days at the lodge, and even got some close up sparring on two occasions. Most importantly, we felt completely safe with our two guides at all times.

The food was very good, and the people even better.

We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank mkflying7
Reviewed 27 December 2016

Traveling to Churchill, MB to see polar bears has been a life long dream, and in November I was finally able to make that dream come true. I did some research and found Churchill Wild and what they offered looked spectacular. I chose the Great Ice Bear Adventure based on availability and my vacation schedule; and I appreciated that there was no additional fee for being a solo traveler - they paired me with another solo traveler.
The Dymond Lake Lodge was fantastic - very comfy. The living room provided a space to chat with the other guests and watch bears while not out on walks. And the staff made sure the fires stayed lit and that warm beverages were available throughout the day.
The food was as good as all the other reviewers mentioned. I loved that they used locally sourced food as much as they could (for instance, the berries were picked by Churchill Wild staff earlier in the year).
And now for the bears - they took my breath away! There were 4 bears on Dymond Lake when we arrived at the lodge, so the guides took us out to see them immediately. We went on 2 walks each day and our destination was dependent on the bear's activity. I never feared for my safety; the guides always paid attention to the bears and their comfort level, and if a bear showed signs of discomfort or agitation we would back away and leave.
Watching 2 large males spar on the ice was the highlight of the trip - it was amazing!
And while we were at the lodge we also so a few ptarmigan and the northern lights (the staff will wake you up if you ask).
Part of this tour also includes a day on a Tundra Buggy, where we saw our first cub. Having a day on the buggy was a great change of pace from the experience at the lodge, but I can't imagine doing it for more than one day. Our buggy experience also included more ptarmigan, a couple arctic foxes, and a snowy owl; and I lost count of the number of polar bears we saw!
We did have a hiccup in weather and our flight from Churchill to Winnipeg was cancelled, but Churchill Wild took care of everything and made sure we had a place to stay in Churchill for the night and got us on a flight the next day; I didn't have to do anything!
If you're looking for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, this is it!

Room Tip: rent the winter clothing and boots they offer
Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo