“Good family experience for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Met Troy

and 1 more site!
The Met Troy
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Good family experience for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed here for one night recently because the price was right and we wanted a hotel with a pool for the kids to use. It's hard to find hotels that will take a family of 5 so we were glad to see this hotel would. Overall we were satisfied - the room was large and held the five of us easily with room to spare. The room's decor was dated but it was neat and clean (other than a few spots on the rug) and we felt comfortable there.

We used the pool twice and the kids had fun swimming. There were plenty of deck chairs and although they ran out of towels in the evening, the staff was quick to give us extra and brought more out once we let them know. My husband used the fitness room and was satisfied with the equipment in general (although one of the treadmills was not working correctly).

Breakfast was very basic but met our needs - cereal, toast, bagels, waffles, pastries, coffee and juice. The staff was polite and helpful and brought ice water when we requested it. Some type of protein offering would have been good too but we didn't leave hungry. :)

The staff was responsive, friendly and helpful when we needed them, such as when one of the vending machines ate my $1.50. They quickly replaced my money and made a note of which machine it was. Staff members said hello as we walked by the front desk or saw them in the halls.

Although you can tell that this used to be a much higher-quality (and busier) hotel in the past, everything was neat, clean and maintained appropriately. If you're looking for four or five star quality, I'd skip this one, but if you're looking for someplace to stay for a night or two that's clean and has the basics, this is a good option, especially for larger families.

Room Tip: Park by your room - the hotel is shaped like a curve and there's a long walk between the front d...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
MichaelWitoszynski, Front Office Manager at The Met Troy, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
We apologize for any inconviences you may have experienced here, but we are glad to see you had an enjoyable experience overall. We have taken all the problems into consideration and will do everything we can to fix them. Thank you for your review and we hope you choose to stay with us again.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We booked the MET through Hotwire, and it appeared many other guests during our stay did also. This hotel was reminescent of the Mom and Pop independant motels I stayed at as a child with my parents ( I'm 40) It is 3 floors in a c formation. A little run down here for sure. The room phones were not working in the rooms during the entire duration of our stay, the front desk said they were having a problem with their phone lines, this said non-chalantly as if it had been going on for awhile. This concerned me if there had of been any problem, or an emergency we would have had a real concern. For some reason "Sleepy hollow" is what comes to mind with this hotel.
The staff were all pleasant enough though. I got the impression this hotel is struggling to keep afloat.
I requested extra pillows at check in and the front desk guy gave them to me to carry down myself as he said he was the only one working (at 6pm on a Thurs night)
While nice enough, he was dressed very casually, sitting behind a small desk, with no uniform. He appeared to be really tired and seemed a little frustrated with his situation of working alone. He brought down a crib to our room himself,(which was appreciated) so he really must have been the only one working this small hotel.
After seeing the website, I was disappointed of what this hotel actually looked like in person. It amazes me how they can make their pictures look so much nicer than the real thing.
There was some updating needed at this hotel, but for a 1 night stay, it provided a comfortable bed, a large room and free WiiFii. We did not use the shower so can't comment there. Things in the rooms looked older and modest. ex- striped wallpaper and they did not have a wallmount blow dryer,. just a little portable one hooked over the back of the door. The room although dated, was comfortable enough I suppose. I felt like I was back 20 years.. I was pretty diasaapointed with what I thought I was getting and what I actuallty got.
The pool (one of the search criterias I used when booking) was a disappointment. It looked like a somewhat forgotten area, in dire need of sprucing up. No hot tub/jacuzzi either. Remember to carry your bath towel from your room to the pool, as the towels at the pool area are not what normally would be provided. They only provided a very few small towels in the pool area that were too small for even my 5 yr old to wrap around himself after his quick very cold swim. I think they must have been hand towels or bath mats. So we ran back to our room with no towels covering ourselves freezing cold in our swimsuits- imagine the site going through the hall to the other end of the hotel- not something we wish to repeat.
We mostly slept alright, although there were partying and loud voices briefly awoken us on our Thurs weeknight stay at 4am.
We were pleased with free WiiFii, but disappointed the blinds do not block out the light from the road to sleep and the curtains do not close. Be careful you change in the bathroom and not in your room, as I felt people outside could have seen me changing.
This hotel advertises free breakfast- but it is not much. it is 2 kinds of cereal sitting in bowls- frosted flakes and cheerios, and 1 jug of milk sitting beside it with a few store bought mini muffins and mini-bagels, a couple apples/oranges ( that had not been washed- I could see the spray on the apples,I took one and washed it off myself), 1 x 2 slice toaster, a pot of coffee, and 1 individual waffle maker. The 1 jug of orange juice was the size you'd have in your home fridge and when it was empty by 8:20am, it was never replenished after that. There wasn't many guests here- 5 tables were taken in the bar area it was in. I felt like this was a pretty poor breakfast. Mostly empty carbohydrates. At least they could have provided peanut butter packets, some toast, and another toaster so the guests weren't all waiting on the same 2 slice toaster. More juice and fruit, more choices would have improved this poor situation very inexpensively.
We checked in and out easily. We said unless it was under $50 a night before tax, we would not be returning. I feel this was Hotwire's fault for falsely advertising it. You have to be careful with Hotwire what they SAY they classify as a 3 star and what you actually get- they have been known to embellish what you really get and I will be more wary of them next time.

Room Tip: Near the front desk or pool area to avoid alot of walking
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay here, we have noted all of the discrepancies you have stated here and will do everything we can to fix them. We appreciate the review and hope you will choose to stay with us again sometime.
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

My family and I recently went to The Met, and overall we were very happy with our stay. The kids were very excited about the indoor pool, and that kept them occupied for a few hours. I was glad that there was free wifi and breakfast in the morning. Though nothing special, the boys enjoyed a couple waffles before we left.

The rooms themselves were nice and clean; they maybe could use some updates though. I was disappointed they didn't have movies available or even FSN for the Red Wing's game. The beds were very comfortable and the room was quite large so the boys had plenty of room to play.

The staff were very helpful; Andy and Jeff seemed to sincerely want to help us and even went out of the way to print out directions. I was very happy with what this hotel has to offer for the price, and I don't think you will find it elsewhere in this area. I would definitely stay here again next time.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Troy, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

This place simply needs to be closed, torn down and replaced with a decent hotel or even a parking lot. At best - the owners and management team must be replaced by people interested in serving the traveling public in a proper manner.

This non somking place smells like an old cigar bar on a Monday morning in the hallways. Upon checking in the desk clerk decided that phone calls were more important than my business (three interuptions).

There was one towel in my room (a maid I ran into was most apologetic and took care of the issue quickly saying that hey were busy and still washing towels. This after a second desk clerk to me they we something well below 75% occupancy.

There were no glasses or cups in the room. The personal amenities in the bathroom were a touch below an hourly motel and the TV did not work. But that was OK because while it was in a large cabinet it was maybe a 16" TV.

The bed was comfortable and the noisy old Holiday Inn type wall Heater/Air Conditioner did work.

We left for the day at about 10 the next morning requesting that the room be made up via the little door tag. We returned at approximately 5:30 PM to see the same tag on the door and that nothing had been done to make the bed, change towels or replace the sliver of soap in the decorative package.

Oh yes, - the reservation was made with a Groupon and when we checked in & I asked about the $12 breakfast credit - the second desk clerk said that is was more like an $8 credit and that they just had a large continental breakfast - "but with waffles now". We never visited the lounge with the breakfast.

The hotel site mentioned restaurants, a bar room service, etc.; which are all misrepresentations. None of this existed. The staff was very good at saying I'm sorry and they all pointed to the owners and management as being unable or unwilling to invest in the hotel so that it can live up to their promises. One asst. manager wanted to help & even figured out how to turn on my 16" TV - but must have had no control over any big picture issues.

Until the way this place does business changes 180 degrees - avoid it at all costs. But if you need a caring housekeeper or jack of all trades assistant manager. Go there and hire them away. But do it fast as they will likely be gone soon. They understand the hotels problems but have no control to do the right thing for the consumer.

Room Tip: Anywhere but at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Will48084

Travellers are raving about these Troy hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Checked in on Friday, March 23rd at 4:15 PM. Checkout at 2:30 AM Saturday, March 24th. The worst hotel I have ever stayed at. FYI - no hot breakfast - we were told continental breakfast. My kids were in their hotel room and were woken up to bed bugs at 1:45 in the morning. They called us at our room to come see the bugs. I was shocked and horrified. They were coming out of the pillow cases and under the mattresses. We took pictures and video of the bugs. I then packed my family up and went downstairs to the front desk and let them know the situation. The front desk rep didn't seem very surprised of the situation. And of course there was no manager on site - LIE. The front desk person tells us the general manager would call us back first thing in the morning. Another LIE. Also told us that we would be refunded our money by MET or Groupon. Never heard from GM. I called at 10:30 am and then my husband called at 1:30 pm and we were both told that the general manage was unavailable. I then called back at 8:30 pm and finally spoke to Mike (GM). Who, told us that they stripped the room and found no bed bugs. I told him I had pictures and video of the bugs. He still denied the bed bugs. He was very rude and let me know that he only get $17 from Groupon for each hotel room. I told him that I want my $42 and he told me to contact Groupon. This place is a joke and has poor customer service. If I could give this hotel my true rating it would be a 0 not a 1.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family