“Perfect Anniversary Dinner”

20:00
Ranked #2 of 335 Restaurants in Troy
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Big Beaver
Description: Nationally acclaimed, modern American restaurant and lounge known for its stunning settings, impressive menu of seafood and steak, and private dining options.
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

For our anniversary we headed to Ocean Prime. Our experience was top notch. Our waiter, Shawnee, started out by asking if we were celebrating anything. She was knowledgable about the beer and wine choices and helped my husband pick a great one. We started with salads. The Caesar was delicious with a bright and tangy dressing. The house salad was one of the best I had ever had. Fresh greens with Granny Smith apples, goat cheese, candied walnuts and a mustard sherry dressing. The sourdough bread was warm and they were happy to bring more. When I ordered the salad I asked how the lobster bisque was and said that I had really been thinking about getting that instead of the salad. She said to go with the salad and she would bring me a sample of the bisque. When she brought it, it was practically a full cup...and it was delicious...the fresh corn was a great addition...a perfect crunch. I did like the salad a bit better though.

For our entrees we had the twin lobster tails which came with asparagus and the Alaskan Halibut which was accompanied by lobster gnocchi. The lobster was good, tender and traditional. The halibut was perfect...light and tender and mild. The lemon butter sauce was delicious and the peas were a nice addition. The gnocchi was ok, slightly soft and not a lot of flavor but it was in the sauce so it was fine. The sides are ordered separately which adds a lot if expense, but they definitely serve two. We got the roasted button mushrooms and the twice baked potato. Both were good but it was a lot of food...one side would have been plenty to share.

Dessert was on the house for our anniversary and we chose the 12 layer carrot cake. It was fabulous! The cream cheese frosting was sweet and tangy and the cake was dense and flavorful. It was served with fresh whipped cream and a pineapple sauce. I would come back just for the cake! All desserts are made in house...actually pretty much everything is made in house our waiter told us, even the cocktail sauce.

Overall the meal was amazing. Definitely a great place for a special night out. Very expensive...we spent $150 without tip and we only got one beer and the dessert was free. But the food and service were both wonderful and I am willing to pay more for great food and service. I would definitely go back again...but only for special occasions. The only reason I gave 4 stars is due to the very high price.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Such a disappointment!! This is the 3rd dinner here, every time, same experience . Slow, not attentive service. They were out of the first 2 bottles of wine, finally 35 minutes after we were seated we got a complimentary bottle from the manager, who never returned the rest of the evening.

Date of visit: July 2014
1  Thank Lucy2go
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I both ordered our fillets medium rare and were well seasoned and cooked to perfection! Because the menus items are ala carte, some of the garnish items are rather large for an individual serving. We shared the asparagus and jalapeño potatoes. I can't recall if they were scalloped or mashed, but they were positively divine! We also decided to indulge in dessert, and opted for the lemon blueberry cheesecake. So decadent! Be prepared to spend a minimum of $150 without cocktails or wine. However, the ambience is lovely and the service was fantastic!

1  Thank VBliz77
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Their happy hour prices for drinks and appetizers are good. Dinner gets a bit pricey. For large groups during happy hour, service can be slowed. Outside seating area is fantastic.

Date of visit: July 2014
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Overall wonderful experience. Sean our server was fantastic and helped us pick out our entire meal plan. Ask for him.
Oysters are great, fish for my wife and surf and turf for me - everything was perfect.
Great wine selection as well.
Definitely on our favourite list and will return.

Date of visit: June 2014