“Mother's Day Delight”

Ocean Prime Detroit
Ranked #2 of 338 Restaurants in Troy
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Big Beaver
Description: Nationally acclaimed, modern American restaurant and lounge known for its stunning settings, impressive menu of seafood and steak, and private dining options.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

First I'd like to Thank the staff at Ocean Prime - Troy for making Mother's Day very special for my Mom & myself. Mother's Day can be a very hectic day for dining out no matter where you go but the staff was very professional & extremely attentive. We arrived a little earlier than our reservation and we were seated within 5-10 minutes which was great. We were seated in a smaller room within the restaurant which was actually very nice and out of the mix. Our servers were extremely polite and attentive and the service was impeccable. Now on to the meal we started with the Point Judith Calamari with a Sweet Chili Sauce, Candied Cashews. It was the best calamari I've ever had. My Mom ordered the Ceasar Salad which was enough for 2 so we shared. For the main course Mom had the Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes, Sweet Corn Cream, Succotash which she enjoyed very much. I chose the Chilean Sea Bass, Whipped Potatoes, Champagne Truffle Sauce and it was to die for. The Champagne Truffle Sauce was the best thing I have tasted in a long time. We were very full and decided to take our dessert home. Let me just say that the Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake will set your soul free. It is just that good!! The dining experience at Ocean Prime on Mother's Day was just an all around perfect one. i can't say enough about the service and the atmosphere. I will definitely be returning to Ocean Prime for lunch, dinner, and drinks very soon!!

Date of visit: May 2014

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Let me start by saying that this isn't my first trip to Ocean Prime on a Saturday night. They have a pianist in the corner singing songs ranging from Prince to Johnny Cash and he was quite enjoyable!! The waitress was initially inattentive to my friend and I- perhaps because we were not dressed up in our Sunday best, we had on gym clothes! We sat down and a busboy came and gave us water and the popcorn with truffle oil and he left. Finally we had to actually ASK for menus and upon bringing them she acknowledged us and took our drink order. As always, amaretto sour double for me and my friend had a black orchid. The drinks were ok- nothing to write home about. The amaretto sour was filled to the brim with ice and the black orchid although beautiful had a huge golf ball sized round ice cube in it which technically gave us each a half a drink. Our second round of drinks was better because she skipped the orchid and I asked for less ice which resulted in a warmer drink than i would have preferred but it just needed to sit momentarily. We ordered a surf and turf appetizer which tasted wonderful- scallops and short ribs with a tablespoon of mashed potatoes. Small portion but just enough for two. I ordered an 8oz filet with a blue cheese crust and zip sauce which was cooked perfectly medium, my friend ordered tuna tartar and enjoyed it thoroughly and we ordered three sides to split- candied yams with marshmallows, a twice baked potato with bacon and cheddar (don't understand how you can go wrong with THIS??), and creamed spinach with bacon which was arguably the best part of the meal!! The spinach had a smoky flavor and was wonderful and it was the ONLY leftover thing I took home! All that being said the steak was not nearly as good as Morton's nor Cameron's, twice baked potato tasted like any regular one you could get at the grocery store (they were nice enough to remove it from the bill), the candied yams weren't quite as I remember them before, they seemed only half prepared because there was a pool of butter in the bottom of the dish and they were cut in chunks which weren't totally soft and the marshmallows seemed overdone. I can honestly say the food was still pretty tasty overall but the fact that we were initially ignored annoyed me- top that off with the fact that my friend lives only ten minutes away and by the time we drove home my heart was racing from the salt and we were both running for the bathroom and perhaps you may want to think twice about going there...

Date of visit: May 2014
2  Thank divaoffdexter
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

One of the best atmosphere's with very good service. The food was good and priced at the level you would expect for a place of this stature.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Had dinner a couple days ago. Excellent food, attentive waiters but bring your money. Had a bit of trouble bringing out all appetizers at once but speedy for take home dessert

Date of visit: April 2014
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was extremely excited to try this restaurant out. The place itself was beautiful and there was a very nice atmosphere, but the food was subpar.

Date of visit: March 2014