“Lovely dinner”

Ranked #8 of 345 Restaurants in Traverse City
Price range: US$ 12 - US$ 32
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of downtown Traverse City overlooking West Grand Traverse Bay, amical has been offering eclectic European cuisine to our dining patrons since 1994. Order from creative and revolving menus, fresh selections prepared in our open kitchen and served in the cozy dining room or on our vibrant street-side patio. Experience the local flavor, dedicated service and consistent reputation that has kept amical a favorite for over 20 years.
Reviewed 11 November 2018

My boyfriend and I enjoyed a lovely dinner at Amical on a recent Sunday night. It's a charming French restaurant with tasty cocktails, traditional French fare. We enjoyed a yummy beet salad, great crab cakes, steak and duck. The French bread was also excellent.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

Whether yoyre looking for a fine Sunday brunch or just a high quality lunch, this place has nothing less than the best of choices on the menu. On this particular fall day, my daughter and I couldn't decide between the crisp apple walnut salad or the comforting chicken pot pie so we got both and split them.
So satisfying. Very great service on top of excellent dining experience.
Good choice!

1  Thank Geri F
Reviewed 31 October 2018

Reserved for dinner on a Thursday evening with my 88 year old Mother. We were greeted immediately by a pleasant young man (host). They quickly became very busy, and were handling walk-in traffic with an anticipated hour wait. (Make reservations) The atmosphere is warm and softly lit, and noise is very muted. No blaring lights at eye level over the table to blind you, but you can still see your food. The kitchen is right there in the front of the house, so all of the warmth from that was very welcomed. We were seated right across from the kitchen, but there was no annoying noise from there. I don't know how they managed to work the kitchen so quietly, as busy as they were. Service began immediately after we were seated, and it became apparent that the young man who greeted us at the door was keeping things running smoothly at the front of the house, expediting food orders and watching every table, making it look very easy and relaxed. It makes a difference that a restaurant cares enough to have someone like this working out front.
The pear ginger martini was really delicious. I would have had two of them!
I had the special, which was Beef tips with pappardelle in a truffle infused sauce with roasted plum tomatoes and spinach, and shaved Parmesan. Amazingly good. Rich, beefy, glossy stock, pasta cooked to perfection, and the beef was tender as butter. Mom had the Atlantic salmon. This salmon was so fresh, cooked just right, lemon beurre blanc was light and bright with just a hint of spice. No overly sweet, salty, burnt or gloppy glaze here. The flavor was all fresh salmon. The apricot mostarda resting on top added a little sweet tang, and actually went very well with the rice, which was moist and delicious by itself. Both dishes were brought to the table piping hot fresh from plating. No sitting under a heat lamp getting dried out.
There were a couple of things they would lose points on for me: The complimentary olive and pickled baby onion dish with sliced baguette. I know that a traditional French baguette is supposed to be this impossibly chewy stick of hard crusted bread with huge bubbles in it and no flavor, but I don't like it, and I can't imagine why anyone else does. Who wants to gnaw on something that resembles a partially leavened dog biscuit that cannot be cut with a butter knife? And the olives were served whole, and they had pits in them. They were literally impossible to spear with a fork, or cut with a knife, and had to be picked up by hand. I would rather have some softer bread with an olive tapenade or herbed butter.
One other thing was that I did sit with my empty drink in front of me about halfway through the meal. I would have ordered another one since I was riding on the hotel shuttle and not driving. I did order a dessert coffee after the meal, and it was very good.

Reviewed 30 October 2018 via mobile

Their early dinner special is perfect--a glass of wine, salad and choice from 5-6 entrees. Food, service and atmosphere all we're the best.

Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner at Amical and really enjoyed ourselves. The “Olive Twist” appetizer is a must; it was delicious. This filled my wife up so she had the Apple-Walnut salad as her entree and she said it was great. I had the Parmesan encrusted whitefish and it was very good as well. This is a very nice restaurant with good service and very good food.