“First time and we all loved it!!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Royal Oak, Michigan
“First time and we all loved it!!”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

First of all when I booked this trip I did so without reading reviews. The night before we went I read a million or so reviews and got really worried. I thought all the good reviews must have been phony and I read reviews about bed bugs, lice, run down rooms, bad service ect. Well I am a real person for all of those like me who wonder and heres my 100% honest review.

I stayed 2 nights, 3 days at the traverse city location; tuesday-thursday. There was me a 22 year old single mom, my 3.5 year old daughter, my 24 year old sister, and my 51 year old dad. (I put ages so you can see that even us young adults and older man all enjoyed it!)

CHECK IN: When we first arrived at 1230pm we figured we would have to wait a few hours before checking in so we went to ask the front desk if we could swim for awhile. Come to find out we were able to check in right then! Given that it was a weekday I'm sure its because it was slower but really nice nonetheless!

STAFF: The lady at the front desk was AMAZING!! She was so nice and helpful. I heard many bad reviews about the staff and everyone there made our trip a memorable experience. Employees that were walking around would stop and ask us if we needed anything. The woman in the Magi store made my daughter feel so special by helping her with her wand. Our server Jamie in the rest. was the best server i've ever had anywhere (Im a waitress as well so I'm a tough critic). The older woman in the Cub Club got all of us parents involved in making masks and doing this howling thing. The lifeguards were patient with my impatient 3 year old ^_^ they helped her wait her turn and if she was scared at first they would talk her through it. I think that if you go on a weekend or during spring break/busy season, the staff may get a little annoyed because they are trying to deal with the 1000+ kids running around but thats to be expected and most people should understand. If you arent understanding then go during the week when the place isn't as crowded!

WATERPARK: I heard people say it is small and whatnot but for having a 3 year old I wouldnt want it being much bigger. I think all the activities in the waterpark were great for a 2-12 year old. The lilly pads were so much harder to do than it looks but so much fun. The fort is huge and my daughter loved exploring it. The slides were fun and fast! Plus its really warm in there so no worries about the little ones catching a cold! Also, the little pool for the infants/toddlers was warmer than any other pool which I thought was fantastic since they are more susceptible to getting cold. In the summer there is also an outdoor pool, rock climbing wall and putt putt golf course!

ROOMS: We stayed in the basic room and it was perfect and probably works for a family of 4-5. I didn't think it was run down at all or noisy. We stayed on the second floor and I highly recommend that floor.

ACTIVITIES: The spa is too pricey in my opinion but the Magi game, cub club, and arcade are priced perfectly. Some people believe too expensive but compared to Disney where we usually travel, I think its great. All the activities are aimed again for ages 2-12 and my daughter loved that she could use her wand to make things talk and open w/o playing a quest. BUY THE PAW PASS!!!!!!!!!!! SO WORTH EVERY PENNY SPENT!!!!!!!!!!

FOOD: The food there is yummy. Try the wiley wrap with extra dressing, soooo good! The kids food prices are a bit high but they come with furry ears or a tail which I thought was cute. If you dont want to eat there, they can bring the food to your room or there are numerous pizza places that will deliever. Plus a mikki ds is right across the street.

OVERALL: The staff, waterpark, and activities made this mini vacation one to remember. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars! We are already planning a weeks stay in Sept for my daughters bday :) If the Lodge could add an area to wash feet after going to the bathroom and make that bathroom hallway less freezing, I'd rate this a 10 out of 5 ;) Either way, we loved it and cannot wait to go back!! As a single mom and waitress I think most of the stuff is affordable and if you just save up abit you will have enough to do so much. OH and its only 5 minutes from a beach on lake MI so you can always spend a day there too!

Room Tip: Second floor in the 250's is the quietest and most convenient ;)
5 Thank Brittany P
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grand Rapids
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We have been going to great wolf Lodge in Traverse City for about 5 years now. We usually go twice a year. Once at the start of winter and once at the end of winter. This year we went a little late by going in March. But, it seems that this hotel is starting to age. They celebrated their 9th anniversary when we were there but, it seemed older than that. Our room smelled a bit of mildew. Not to strong but noticeable. The first time that has happened to us.

The food their is always just okay so we just order a pizza. It was as good as one might expect hotel pizza to be at a water park resort. The kids loved it the adults..... Well we did not hate it but, it was not much better than standard delivery pizza.

The Magic Quest game had some broken places including one of the major areas. My daughter was disappointed that she was not able to complete her "Quest" because that area was broken for two days. Again this is the first time I have ever seen the game have issues in all of the times we have been there. Which, as you might gather, is quite a few times.

Also, they seemed to have some new rules in the water park that required my kids to get measured when they enter the water park. They are given a bracelet to determine what water slides they can use. We accidentally cut in front of some lady and her kids who I thought was just standing there twinking around, my apologies to whoever you are. They claim they have had this measuring process in place for some time but since this is the first time they have implemented it with my family I am going to call that questionable. Fortunately, my kids 4 and 6, are the same height so they could both go on all of the rides. But, I could see how mad I would be if they measured them at different heights and my 4 year old could not ride the same slides as the 6 year old. Happened to some people behind us and I listened to the younger child crying. I know for me that would have been a battle the entire time we were there, 3 days. I understand the need for safety I do. I did some life guarding earlier in my life so I get it. But, I am just saying that as a parent traveling to a place that is for kids, if I had to spend my entire weekend explaining why they can not ride the ride they want, that may change my mind about wanting to come back. Also, maybe it is time to expand the water park a bit. There are much larger parks just over in the Wisconsin Dells.

Our interactions with the staff were good but limited. We met the story time lady in the elevator one day, they do a big story reading at night where all of the kids come down in the pajamas and wolfey and violet, mascots in wolf costumes, read a story in front of an animatronic tree. She was super nice and made my daughter feel special which was super important for me. After all we are going there for them. If we were going for me it would not be to an indoor water park.

The only other bummer was that they had to shut down two different pools while we were there because somebody's kid took a dump in the water. While not optimal i do appreciate that they shutdown the pools and add chemicals etc rather than just removing the evidence and trying to forget about it. But, maybe rather than focus on height for water slides they should focus on which kids need to wear swimmy diapers.

But all in all the trip was fun. I think they should consider doing some repairs, cosmetic and otherwise, to the resort and that might go a long way to making it feel as new and fresh as it did when we first started coming there.

2 Thank crash1204
Romulus, Michigan
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed a weekend Friday through Sunday at the Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City, MI. Kids and parents both loved the stay. The hotel room was cool and the kids loved the bunk beds in the wolf den. The water park was big enough top be fun but not so large you lose each other. Would go back for sure.

Room Tip: Look at the floor plans. We had the Wolf Den room and the kids got bunk beds in a little Den that gi...
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We've been to the great wolf lodge two times now and have been kind of let down. The water park is small in size compared to other water parks, and is more designed for smaller children. They have three big water slides, two singles and one triple. They also have a fort for the kids to play in. As for the rooms, they're run down and look used. Everything is pricy there in terms of shopping, and they want to take all of you money. The food was good, and I do suggest some or their desserts. Finally, there's a sort of wizard and witch game, where the objective is to gain gold or points. There's a branch above the restaurant that if you point you wand at, will light up and make sounds, that started to get very annoying, with all the little kids pointing at it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We recently enjoyed two nights at Great Wolf Lodge! Water Park was a lot of fun for the whole family. Good variety of things to keep kids and adults entertained. Lifeguards were extremely attentive and made you feel safe. My daughter took part in the Junior lifeguard course in the morning and loved learning about what the Lifeguards do and some techniques. We also enjoyed Magiquest, which kept the kids occupied for hours!! Great value for the game!

• Stayed March 2012