“Holly Allen”

Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Traverse City
“Holly Allen”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Holly Allen has been so helpful and friendly to me. She makes me feel like HJ's is the right place to be. She always greets me by name and has helped me get the WiFi and heat working perfectly. She works behind the desk and cleaning rooms. She is a person dedicated to promoting the Howard Johnsons name in Traverse City, Michigan!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Susan L
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed just a couple of nights there (Wednesday & Thursday end of March). When I arrived early afternoon they (Young female) had a bit of trouble finding a room for me because they were being cleaned and I was staying for two nights. She upgraded me to a king sized room.

I've stayed at a room at the Grand Traverse Resort & Spa before, granted it had two beds. But when I think motel vs hotel, I assume hotels would've superior in every way.

I was wrong, this was looked more spacious, it was clean, a nice shower where some could even sit down (I'm 5'11" 160lbs and I could sit down), there was plenty of towels for a two nights stay. It was really what I'd come to expect overall for any motel/hotel room. It just looked nicer, even the lotion was a nice touch, I didn't think to bring hand lotion and my hands got super dry.

There are only a couple of things I'd change, but that's above and beyond what I'd expect so I can't hold it against them. They had a mini brewer for coffee and tea. They used Biggelo green tea, I'm a fan of Biggelo, it doesn't upset my stomach the way some teas do. But if you're going to have tea, some tiny honey packets would have been nice. I can't drink coffee, but I did notice they had two sugars and what looked to be a couple different artificial sweeteners, I'd probably have left two of each sugar (including two each artificial) along with a couple small creamers.

Although come to think of it, they did offer a free breakfast that I didn't take advantage of (I'm a night owl), so you'd probably be able to find those extra condiments (maybe even different flavors of tea) at the breakfast.

There was also a tiny mini fridge (for your own food & drinks, not things you’d buy from the mini fridge) that I took advantage of.

And lastly, I don't have a travel charger for my iphone yet, it would have been nice if they had a charger just for those that for whatever reason didn't have one with them.

Everything I said was nitpicking though, it was above my expectations and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

I can't remember if I had read any reviews on this motel having paper thin walls and hearing lours of sounds. I had no problem with it, on the rare time my tv was on (it was quiet), I didn't hear anything when my tv was off and it was very quiet at that point. Location wasn't bad either, I think it took about 20 minutes to get to Turtle Creek.

Traffic was something I was worried about, I don't like fighting to lanes of traffic, but I didn't have to wait long at all to get out at any point.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Middlebury, Indiana
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We travel frequently to Interlochen Arts Academy and need an inexpensive but clean hotel. This hotel is all the way downtown in Traverse City and adds a longer commute to IAA; however, it is the most affordable hotel we have found that also is very clean. Having been recently renovated, the rooms have nice granite countertops and a huge shower. Beds are clean and very comfortable. Carpets are also clean. Service is friendly and helpful. Desk staff know us by name now, and warmly welcome us each time we visit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank TammyLT
Cheboygan, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 12 February 2012

If you are looking for a place to stay in TC please take my advice and book a room at the Howard Johnson. I travel about 120 days out of the year and I have slept in numerous hotels, motel s and airports. I confidently recommend this hotel to you because of the extremely clean and updated rooms, extraordinary customer service and very low price. For about $40 to $60 US dollars you can either choose a DBL Queen, King or Jacuzzi Room. This is the best deal in TC I promise you. The proprietor is constantly on site looking to improve the quality of the experience, trust me this place is a GEM both for the eye and your wallet.

JDEBECK

Room Tip: Super Fast WIFI