“Michigan trip 2017”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Food and drinks were good. It is fun sitting and watching the boats. Just be prepared for full sun if you sit outside. Service was friendly and its a very casual place to eat and drink

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Fun atmosphere! Had a good mix of age groups from early 20's to folks in their 60's. Good wait staff, AMAZING shrimp & perch tacos, & tons of yummy drinks!

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Both times we've been there we've sat on or just inside the deck area. With that in mind while reading this review .........

Captain Lou's is a pretty cool bar, in an even cooler location with really good bar food. That's the vibe I get. It reminds me of quite a few beach bars I've been to all over the USA and the Caribbean. Lots of wood, nautical items, doors and windows open, dollar bills stuck to the ceiling with notes and funny jokes on them.

Location, location, location. This place is in a great spot; you can sit outside on the deck and watch the drawbridge go up and down every 30 minutes. Boats go by all day long.

As usual for us we got here by accident. The first time we came, we had been checking out the beaches south of South Haven on July 4. We ended up in South Haven right about the time of their parade. We were rerouted several times due to the police road blocks. I searched for a place outside of the parade route and this is how we found this little gem.

I have to confess I'm not a fried food person. Never have been but I make an exception with perch and their perch is pretty amazing. Hands down it is their signature.

We've been there 2x in the last month. The first time I ordered the perch basket and fries, my hubby had the perch tacos. The second time I ordered the perch basket and fries and my hubby ordered the perch basket and sweet potato fries. Notice the theme? Writing this review I now want to go back for another order of the perch basket with fries ........

We weren't alone in our new perch obsession; every table had at least one perch basket on it, and most had several.

Both times the service was good and it's a very busy place.

Functional items:

The parking at the location is pretty non-existent. Both visits we had to park on the street across the street and walk the equivalent of a city block or two. Not a problem for us but if you have limited physical ability please keep that in mind.

Deck space is limited which makes the seating a little tight but I think they do good job with their layout and we don't mind being close to the table next to us. Usually we end up striking up a conversation with our neighbors. The atmosphere is fun and jovial.

If I have to find one item to whine about it would be that the tables on the deck have no umbrellas or shade. If you get lucky and your timing is perfect you can grab the table close to the building. That one table does provide a little shelter from the sun and you still get to enjoy the bridge and boats view.

I know without hesitation when we return to the area, we will be back for more perch!

1  Thank WMIAlleykat
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Food is okay. Bar food. Nice location on the water. Fun to see the bridge go up for all the tall boats. Probably won't return. Too many good restaurants nearby.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

The perch used to be better. But you can't beat the view and the excellent service. Have been visiting for years.