I had the Dollybrook website open on my iPad for months, in eager anticipation of our stay in Cottage #1. We were there just last week, and it was all I had hoped for. Our 4-night visit has us wanting to return next year! I found Jim, Kim and Ali personable and willing to answer my many questions both before and during our visit.
The nicely appointed yet clutter-free cottage, and property overall, was a perfect place for us to call home while enjoing the bucolic countryside and Michigan Lake beach areas.
They are wise to have few soft surfaces in the interior, to avoid allergens and promote a clean feel to the place. Nothing’s worse than an icky rug and a bunch of mangy throw pillows in a vacation lodging.
My husband enjoyed lounging and reading in the screened porch; I took 3 Jacuzzi baths during our 4 days there! We also had picnic lunches and swims/outings to South Haven, Oval Beach and Grand Haven, because the weather was glorious during our visit. We really liked the first two; next time we’ll give Grand Haven a skip. We regret dipping into the Dollybrook pool only once, but time ran out!
We didn't care for what the Little Store offered after a quick pop-in, but we were very satisfied buying groceries at Country Life Natural Foods, the local Meijer's and the Bardens Garden market near Meijer's.
Highlights that were important to us:
1) Spotlessly clean
2) Super comfy bed (I gave Kim feedback about wanting additional softer pillows next time)
3) Fast and reliable wifi plus great TV selections
4) Plush and plentiful bath towels
5) Lovely pool - the water temp was great for us during the warm July weather
6) Well lighted throughout
7) Helpful labels posted for the many lights
8) Easy access road from several directions
9) Ample space for parking
10) Easy to use gas grill outdoor
11) A blender and a mini George Foreman in the kitchen means you can stick to your diet!
12) Clean and powerful Jacuzzi
13) Well placed windows throughout, that bring the pine trees into view, but excellent shades if one wants more privacy
14) There were guests also in the nearby cottages, but there were no disturbances from the proximity.
15) Nice decor, fittings, architectural details throughout - very pleasant.
Considerations (just two!)
1) Our cottage was a stone’s throw from and facing an active road, so vehicles of every description did pass by every 5-8 minutes, somewhat loudly. That was ok with me, we live in the city, and I tune it out. And I also found that this accented the beautiful chirps of nature, which were more noticeable when there was no traffic.
2) If you have someone staying downstairs with you, they will most likely hear your every step upstairs. That’s just the way it is with lovely wooden floors. We never wear shoes inside, but even so, you will hear the sound. That didn’t bother us in the least. BTW, we slept beautifully.
A friend in Grand Rapids wasn’t familiar with Dollybrook. I like that just fine -- I want to keep Cottage #1 just for us, and hope to return again next year! ;)
This was mine and my husbands second time staying at DollyBrook Resort and we loved it. The first time we brought my side of the family and rented the entire place, this time it was a weekend getaway from the kids thanks to my parents! The new pool was still open and we fell in love with it, it’s huge and relaxing out there. The cottage was adorable, so clean and who doesn’t love a jacuzzi tub! We loved the updated fire pit area and how they were all set to go, all you have to do is light a match. The owners have truly thought of everything and are such nice people. Can’t wait to come back with the kids so they can enjoy the pool area!
We stayed in Cottage 1 at Dollybrook from September 7th-September 11th 2017 for our wedding which took place in Fennville. Some of our family also stayed and between them we had Cottages 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.
Let me start out by saying this place was absolutely perfect. Check in was a breeze and the owner was so friendly. After check in it's a short drive (about a block) from the office to where the cottages sit.
Once inside our cottage it became apparent that calling these cottages do NOT do them justice. Super clean, well stocked with towels, kitchen utensils, toilet paper, etc. Large flat screen TV's with cable in the living room and bedrooms. The WiFi worked excellent for our entire stay. Big bonus points to dollybrook for supplying a propane grill/utensils with each cottage.
The grounds were IMMACULATE. No trash anywhere to be seen. The sand around the volleyball court was pristine. There are three large community fire pits seated next to the lake with benches/chairs for you to use. The owner stocks the fire pits daily and even stacks the logs, provides a starter log so all you need is a lighter and that thing is going in 5 seconds.
It was a little cold during our stay so we were unable to use the pool but it looked very clean and well maintained.
The location is perfect. The beach/downtown south haven is 15 minutes from your front door. Saugatuck is about the same distance. Cranes restaurant/apple orchard is 5 minutes down the road and you have to try the pies and house hard ciders.
Overall I give this place 5 stars only because I can't give it more. Will definitely be returning to dollybrook in the very near future.