“Try a Pastie”

Cuisines: American
Description: ph (906)643-8487
Description: ph (906)643-8487
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Quant little place featuring Pasties, beef chicken or pork. Very friendly waitress. They serve gravy and cole slaw as a combo. I ask if they had rudabaka in and she said no. The pastie tasted fine, but I was told if it did not have rudabaka it was not a real pastie

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Bessie’s Pasties are most like Mom’s. Crust is simply delicious and the filling is rich with meat and vegetables. Definitely don’t miss for the most authentic old fashioned pasties.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

If you have a chance to stop in and get a pasty, you won't be disappointed. The meat and veg were finely chopped, the pastry flaky and the gravy very tasty! We took a frozen pasty home for our 89-year-old mother and the woman was kind enough to write the baking directions on the bag for her. Wish I would have bought more frozen ones to bring back to Ohio!

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

I've had pasties before. I don't eat gravy so that puts me at a disadvantage as I think pasties are by default kind of dry no matter who makes them. It was still good but I'm sure gravy makes it way better.

The one thing I'll say is I don't usually like the crust of pasties because they are so dry and hard. While I was waiting for others to finish I picked at my leftover crust. It was hard but it had a really good taste to it and I ended up eating the whole thing.

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Four days into our UP vacation, after four days of contemplating which place to stop at and try one of those famous pasties for the first time, we finally chose Bessie's! Frankly speaking, we were a little scared of most of the places offering the savory half-moon pies--mostly shacks on the side of the road offering pasties, smoked fish, beef jerky and cheese curds. Anyway, we must have driven by two dozen pastie shacks before happening upon Bessie's! It was early afternoon, the sun was high and our belly's were grumbling after a full morning of beach-combing, and we needed pasties! Bessie's was open, and we saw normal looking people coming out with smiles on their faces, so we thought, let's do this! Heading into the restaurant with nervous excitement, my husband made small talk with some of the locals. We made our way to the counter and decided to order take out, so we could enjoy our first pastie experience in the privacy of our rented cabin. A very courteous Bessie's employee showed us our pastie options, although we had already secretly decided upon the original beef with a side of gravy. About ten minutes later, two flaky pasties appeared from the back and were placed in a vintage warming oven for just a moment or so before being delicately wrapped for the short journey home. With our pasties (and some smoked trout) in hand-we thanked the kind employee and left out the door on our way to pastie tasting bliss, when my husband boldly announced our virginal experience to the diners outside, "you know this is our first time, it's kind of exciting, you have a good day"...what a site we must have been as we loaded up the car and pulled out of the parking lot...I can imagine that they just shook their heads as they saw our Ohio license plates as we drove on by....by the way, the Pasties were great, thank you Bessie's, we'll be back when we come visit the UP again!